48 replies to this topic

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
From my perspective, I literally dont think it makes any difference who is named Captain on the team this year. Marsh is the true captain.

There is no one on the current roster that will have any true influence with the referees in my opinion:

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,403 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

How much does the captain actually influence the ref on the field? I've always heard they're supposed to be the only ones who can approach him but that obviously never happens in real life.

Go with the best leader/communicator on the field. For me it'd be Felipe, for as much as a pain in the ass he is to the ref and the other team our guys have to love having him out there.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

How much does the captain actually influence the ref on the field? I've always heard they're supposed to be the only ones who can approach him but that obviously never happens in real life.

Go with the best leader/communicator on the field. For me it'd be Felipe, for as much as a pain in the ass he is to the ref and the other team our guys have to love having him out there.

I dont think refs respect Felipe. So whatever little impact a Captain will have on them, Felipes may be less.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

TBH, I would love to hear from players whether or not it matters, but in all my years of watching I have never seen a call reversed or any positive material impact from any of the constant whining and jawboning that goes on from the captain or any other player.

In football, most NFL teams rotate captains per game and elect them for playoff games. Baseball doesn't need them. They exist in the NHL, but again I never see an impact.

If they are meant to be motivators and coordinators for the team, then their relationship with the refs doesn't mean much.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts

Understand the thought, and basically all of the impact is done off the field.  The actual captain sometimes doesn't mean as much as the leaders on the team.

I've read and heard stories of how Messier was the greatest captain in sports.  Not from writers, but players.  Tie Domi always tells the story and claims Messier turned his career/life around early on with some of the things he taught. Also heard stories of Jeter, who was a much quieter captain, but Posada basically functioned as Jeter's enforcer.  As for the NFL and having rotating captains, those players always know who their leaders are.  Every player in Baltimore knew that Ray Lewis wouldn't accept certain things.  When guys aren't doing things the right way, or they aren't putting the team first, those leaders would be the ones who policed the locker room and maintained that focus. Coaches basically work the same way but it's tough for a coach to do it himself.  Have to have leaders within the team as well.  The anointed captain doesn't mean as much as the overall leaders of the team.

Now I do believe referees are aware of who they are talking to. Having the armband on a notable, respected player does tend to get you something different.  I remember Messier getting away with stuff that nobody in the league did towards the end of his career. Refs for sure treated him different because of the history and the respect.  You could even see Henry getting a different type of discussion at times with refs.  

He's probably not totally comfortable with it, but maybe BWP should be captain.  The only thing that stinks about that is I'm not sure BWP likes all of the extra stuff you have to do as captain.  More interviews and everything.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

TBH, I would love to hear from players whether or not it matters, but in all my years of watching I have never seen a call reversed or any positive material impact from any of the constant whining and jawboning that goes on from the captain or any other player.

In football, most NFL teams rotate captains per game and elect them for playoff games. Baseball doesn't need them. They exist in the NHL, but again I never see an impact.

If they are meant to be motivators and coordinators for the team, then their relationship with the refs doesn't mean much.

I dont think its about reversing a call, its more about the next call.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Felipe would be a terrible choice, plus it'd be another excuse for Jesse to keep him on for every single minute of every game. Pretty sure he won't be the pick, though. Marsch was getting tired of his antics late in the season last year.

Plenty of keepers are and have been good captains but if it must be an outfield player, it should be BWP. I like Royer but to anyone in the league outside of RB he is just a guy.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Huracan more and more
Veron!
Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,241 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
If I thought BWP would be around longer, I'd feel different.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

If I thought BWP would be around longer, I'd feel different.

He's signed through 2019, isn't he? At the current rate, 2 years for a captain is pretty good!

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

I dont think its about reversing a call, its more about the next call.

This is why you see Marsch constantly talking with the fourth official. And, according to Patrick Viera, its apparently effective.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Adams is captain vs KC.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

If he stays healthy i could see Colin getting it. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Huracan more and more

Thats one hell of an assumption.
Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Colin will stay healthy.
Collin, not so likely.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users