184 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

League play: 16 games, 14 goals, 17 games left.

Team record: Angel 19 goals (5 away)

All competitions: 17 games, 14 goals, at least 21 games left.

Team record: Valencia 21 goals (7 away)

14 goals is already the 5th best all-time number in league play and 9th best in all competitions.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Arsenal, USMNT, & the 4-2-3-1

Genius header tonight. It'll be interesting to see how defenses play him once Henry is no longer by his side. Here's to him getting to 22.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Gotta think he gets it and then some. Henry is essentially a midfielder now and BWP seems to be the Red Bulls lone target up top.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
I hate the 4-5-1 generally speaking, but Henry is an assist machine & BWP has been putting away chances. I just wish we could play defense, and not start Alexander (who did ok tonight & had a good assist- fair enough).

I said earlier, somewhere in England Shawn Wright-Phillips is watching this and laughing his ass off. Finally, us signing the brother of a famous guy actually worked out.

Suck it, John Rooney.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Funny how every striker that plays with Henry tends to put up unusually good numbers. 

Rodgers, Cooper, Espindola, and now BWP. 

Makes you wonder if losing Henry next year might really cut down on his effectiveness. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
It absolutely will. Henry doesn't run a lot and participates as he sees fit. But, he still reads the game two steps ahead of everyone else, and has great touch. If they replace him with Xavi or something, fine, but he's really an A-Mid in a 4-5-1 at this point, opening up our offense with great passes.

BWP-as Cooper before him- simply needs to make the right runs and finish 50% of his chances to get a goal a game.

Once Henry leaves, BWP will go back to being an English Dominick Oduro.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

BWP has more speed and Talent than Kenny Cooper and the others before him.

still kickin

still kickin

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Supports:NYRB USA

There is definitely the Henry factor in some of BWPs goals, but most of his goals seem to be god finishes.  For Cooper meanwhile, at times it seemed like Henry was passing it off of Cooper and into the goal...and sometimes Cooper didnt even realize until after it went in!

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

It absolutely will. Henry doesn't run a lot and participates as he sees fit. But, he still reads the game two steps ahead of everyone else, and has great touch. If they replace him with Xavi or something, fine, but he's really an A-Mid in a 4-5-1 at this point, opening up our offense with great passes.

BWP-as Cooper before him- simply needs to make the right runs and finish 50% of his chances to get a goal a game.

Once Henry leaves, BWP will go back to being an English Dominick Oduro.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. On one hand, I would like to see the team get younger and athletic, but most folks don't really see the intangibles that Henry brings on the pitch. And, it's very rare we are going to get that type of caliber of player anyway, so why not hang on to him for one more year?

Your thoughts...

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I was kinda thinking the same thing. On one hand, I would like to see the team get younger and athletic, but most folks don't really see the intangibles that Henry brings on the pitch. And, it's very rare we are going to get that type of caliber of player anyway, so why not hang on to him for one more year?

Your thoughts...

Fairly certain, with the Arsenal game scheduled, the decision has been made.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Fairly certain, with the Arsenal game scheduled, the decision has been made.

Fair enough. But are those folks in the "win now" crowd going to be patient when this team switches gears and moves away from signing big names and over the hill talent and start building teams for the long term rather than the short one? I mean, we are setting up an academy system, a minor league version of the big club, all of that speaks of growing for the future rather than winning now.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Fair enough. But are those folks in the "win now" crowd going to be patient when this team switches gears and moves away from signing big names and over the hill talent and start building teams for the long term rather than the short one? I mean, we are setting up an academy system, a minor league version of the big club, all of that speaks of growing for the future rather than winning now.

Using your DP spots on older players doesn't necessarily mean that you can't take a long term approach to the roster as a whole.  As LA swiped up almost every major trophy in 2011-2012, all 3 of their designated players were 30+ years old.  The difference is that they minimized turnover throughout the rest of their roster and regularly integrated young players into the squad.

There shouldn't be any problem with bringing in another 30+ player from Europe who can make an impact, so long as we also hold on to guys like Dax, Miazga, Duvall, etc...

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Using your DP spots on older players doesn't necessarily mean that you can't take a long term approach to the roster as a whole.  As LA swiped up almost every major trophy in 2011-2012, all 3 of their designated players were 30+ years old.  The difference is that they minimized turnover throughout the rest of their roster and regularly integrated young players into the squad.

There shouldn't be any problem with bringing in another 30+ player from Europe who can make an impact, so long as we also hold on to guys like Dax, Miazga, Duvall, etc...

Good point. Scratch that. Excellent point. I guess when the transfer window opens up tomorrow, we'll see where the front office's head is at. Will they bring in much needed help, or will they pass and focus on the future. We'll see what develops...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What does on have to do with the other?  What does setting up an academy system have to do with our DP selection process?  Developing youth and bringing in experienced stars don't conflict with each other.    Any DP you get should be a "win now," immediate-impact player.  At most, the decision might be to bring in a lesser known 26-28 year old DP instead of a big name 30-32 year-old DP.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

In a salary cap world, you need both competent youth on cheap contracts AND highly talented and motivated DP's to keep a good balance going. 

Think where we would be if instead of Duvall, Oyongo, and Miazga, we were still using Mike Jones, John Rooney, and Austin Da Luz. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users