143 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Yep, we'd have to get rid of one of them at least.  I'm on board with that big time because this team is really good outside of the striker position.  I'd hate to waste this.

Struber is liable to leave after this season and once that happens, there is a high probability that we see a dropoff.  Sadly there are more coaches like Armas out there than there are compared to Jesse or Struber.

And given we don't spend a lot, we have to have a good coach to have any chance at all. 

The hiring of Troy Lesesne as an assistant would seem to be a contingency plan if and when Struber decides to leave. No guarantee that they wouldnt look elsewhere, but hes had HC experience with NM United in USL and could potentially be groomed to be the successor.

At the very least he could fill the Carnell role if they need an interim option.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,452 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The hiring of Troy Lesesne as an assistant would seem to be a contingency plan if and when Struber decides to leave. No guarantee that they wouldnt look elsewhere, but hes had HC experience with NM United in USL and could potentially be groomed to be the successor.

At the very least he could fill the Carnell role if they need an interim option.

I though Bernd Eibler would be the next in line. They made a big deal that they got him as an assistant coach. They framed him as some sort of coach prodigy and he is young. Late 20s.

During the games you see struber talk to him a lot

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

It's way too much to assume that any successor would just be the same.  Some people thought that about Armas and he was awful.  Being the head man is far different than being an assistant.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

It's way too much to assume that any successor would just be the same.  Some people thought that about Armas and he was awful.  Being the head man is far different than being an assistant.  

No one that heard Armas interviewed or watched his team speeches would ever think hes the same as Marsch.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If only there was someone in the building who overcame finishing problems to become one of the best strikers in MLS history....   Someone who was successfully tutored by one of the best strikers ever to play the game... I wish there was a guy like that on staff...

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts

Charlotte got Shinyashiki from Colorado for 225K + potential 175K. Not a big scorer (just 7, 4, 4 goals in his three full seasons), but in a world where Hamlett spent 200K on a draft pick...

I just dread what happens if Fletcher does not start scoring / is sent back and our options are Klimala, Barlow, a rookie, and a ghost.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,707 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Charlotte got Shinyashiki from Colorado for 225K + potential 175K. Not a big scorer (just 7, 4, 4 goals in his three full seasons), but in a world where Hamlett spent 200K on a draft pick...

I just dread what happens if Fletcher does not start scoring / is sent back and our options are Klimala, Barlow, a rookie, and a ghost.

Wasn't the point of doing a very short term loan for Fletcher that we would be able to quickly assess him, and replace him in the summer window if necessary?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,199 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Wasn't the point of doing a very short term loan for Fletcher that we would be able to quickly assess him, and replace him in the summer window if necessary?

Possibly. Slightly more cynical take is that their priority was simply making sure they didn't whiff big on an expensive, multi-year DP contract, and whether or not they could feasible replace him on short notice was an afterthought. Maybe Watford or Fletcher had reason to ask for a short term loan and that's all they'd agree to?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts

Shinyashiki scores on his debut, 12 minutes after coming on as a sub.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
I know its not controversial to say it here, but they should still be looking for another attacker to upgrade the Omir spot.

Winning at home is going to be a struggle with the current personnel, even if everyone is available.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Dc obviously liked taxi to keep them for themselves. Just cause the Red Bulls or if any other team wanted him doesnt mean they have to give them up. Luquinhas and Morgan upgraded the AM/wing positions. Fletcher was brought on to score but doesnt seem like he will pan out due to the slow start. Atleast we have an option for him and didnt sign a 3 yr deal from the start. Take your anger out on fletcher not producing goals. If fountas had the slow start and fletcher had his hot start, nobody would be bitching right now

Struber has had numerous opportunities to play both Fletcher and Klimala together, that doesnt seem like something he wants to do. Hed rather have a smaller 2nd striker type player off of one of Fletcher/Klimala.

Obviously Barlow and Ryan are not good enough to be the only depth at ST, so signing an upgrade like Fletcher was good but its less good when one of Klimala/Fletcher become an expensive backup.

There is space for Fletcher and an additional attacker on the roster but with RBNY, especially under Hamlett, the only option seems like Fletcher sticks around with no alternative signing.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
Why are yall so quick to write players off? Were you this quick to say BWP wouldnt be good and should be sent back to England?

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Why are yall so quick to write players off? Were you this quick to say BWP wouldnt be good and should be sent back to England?

I don't think that's a fair comparison. For starters, BWP was brought here on trial. And also I don't ever remember watching him and thinking "this guy sucks". I don't remember him missing change after chance. It's not always just about numbers.

Klimala is a DP and our 2nd most expensive transfer ever. The expectations are going to be super high with that price tag. The guy has been here for well over a year and has yet to produce at a consistent level and bottle most of the chances he gets.

Flecther, while not a DP - was brought in as our only striker signing to try and fix a horrible attack. And while it's still early from him....it doesn't look promising. I look at him and he looks like a big, uncoordinated player who's not good with his feet and not particularly quick. I don't see anything special about his off the ball movement either. 

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

I don't think that's a fair comparison. For starters, BWP was brought here on trial. And also I don't ever remember watching him and thinking "this guy sucks". I don't remember him missing change after chance. It's not always just about numbers.

Klimala is a DP and our 2nd most expensive transfer ever. The expectations are going to be super high with that price tag. The guy has been here for well over a year and has yet to produce at a consistent level and bottle most of the chances he gets.

Flecther, while not a DP - was brought in as our only striker signing to try and fix a horrible attack. And while it's still early from him....it doesn't look promising. I look at him and he looks like a big, uncoordinated player who's not good with his feet and not particularly quick. I don't see anything special about his off the ball movement either. 

I mean our goal difference is top 5 and we are 6th in goals for. Its pretty clear strivers system is not designed to create high volume scorers. Its a team scoring approach. Where midfielders like Morgan omir luqinhas are expected to be A big part of the offense.
BWP first season off trial played 300 minutes and scored 1 goal has 12 shots

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
To me fletcher has shown enough to be a good compliment to Klimala and a solid back up option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users