Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,353 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

prior to that season where his production dropped off, he won the Golden Boot there, so who knows at this point. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I am not sure this is a true statement. The guy produced worse when Klimala did in the same League. But Klimala was 21 at the time, while he is 33, coming off major drop off. It would be expected to further drop off this year from the level already below Klimala. Not sure if this makes the team better. More like a visual that they tried.

This signing isn't ambitious at all, but Pekhart is better than Klimala. He brings a pedigree and toolset that we don't have on this roster. You are putting too much emphasis on that joke of a season that Legia had. He isn't the 22 goals in 25 games guy anymore either. It's more than likely somewhere in the middle.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,551 posts

This signing isn't ambitious at all, but Pekhart is better than Klimala. He brings a pedigree and toolset that we don't have on this roster. You are putting too much emphasis on that joke of a season that Legia had. He isn't the 22 goals in 25 games guy anymore either. It's more than likely somewhere in the middle.

This
All we need is for him integrate and round into form in sept. Like that Mexican DP in Philly who did nothing except score against us in the playoffs

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

The other interesting aspect is what this would mean for us on set pieces, both offensively and defensively. If Struber trots out Sean Nealis, Long, Reyes and this dude up front - that is a hell of a skyline.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,551 posts

The other interesting aspect is what this would mean for us on set pieces, both offensively and defensively. If Struber trots out Sean Nealis, Long, Reyes and this dude up front - that is a hell of a skyline.

Its practically the only way we score so yeah

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The wording in this tweet is confusing. Red Bull "was" pursuing him as in they stopped, or Gustavo just doesn't know if they still are?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,758 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The wording in this tweet is confusing. Red Bull "was" pursuing him as in they stopped, or Gustavo just doesn't know if they still are?

His follow-up says yes: "As far as I know, the conversations are ongoing."

https://twitter.com/...929650471735298

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Legia fans think there is a chance he goes back there. I understand he is a free agent, but tomorrow is already too late.

Anything later than that and its surely a 2023 move.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,353 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Also possible that he could sign with Rakow Czestochowa. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Why is he better? Yes, I do put emphasis on last season, because it is important, particularly for an older player, as there is a high likelihood of drop off due to age. As far as joke of a season, he still played 2000 minutes, and scored only 9 goals. If you count all competitions, we are looking at 10 goals and 1 assist in 45 games and 2500+ minutes and now 33 years of age. Yes, we are desperate, but there has to be a way to bring in someone better with all the money RB just got for Adams.

I can see a point in getting an old descending player, if he was really great world class before, and even with the drop off still at good level. And even these guys often decline very quickly, even someone like Higuain. Tomas was never at that level, and he ALREADY showed sizable decline. Remember Shaun Wright Phillips? Exactly the same age when we got him, and showed decline previous year. Was a much better player previously than Tomas was.

To me, if this is the move for this year, Schneider didn't do his job.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Why is he better? Yes, I do put emphasis on last season, because it is important, particularly for an older player, as there is a high likelihood of drop off due to age. As far as joke of a season, he still played 2000 minutes, and scored only 9 goals. If you count all competitions, we are looking at 10 goals and 1 assist in 45 games and 2500+ minutes and now 33 years of age. Yes, we are desperate, but there has to be a way to bring in someone better with all the money RB just got for Adams.

I can see a point in getting an old descending player, if he was really great world class before, and even with the drop off still at good level. And even these guys often decline very quickly, even someone like Higuain. Tomas was never at that level, and he ALREADY showed sizable decline. Remember Shaun Wright Phillips? Exactly the same age when we got him, and showed decline previous year. Was a much better player previously than Tomas was.

I already admitted that it is not ambitious and underwhelming. However, the fact of the matter is that he has displayed much better scoring instincts throughout his career than Klimala. His movement and composure in the 18 is levels above. He is a much stronger aerial threat which is important based on the amount of aimless long balls that our CB's are instructed to play. He can cause MLS defenders fits in these duels and actually knock a few balls onto Luqinhas and Morgan's feet - something that Klimala can't do. He also has a rapport with Luquinhas which may help get him up to speed quicker here and actually make an impact this season. The sample size on Klimala in the Ekstraklasa is small and it is hard to really gauge it as a comparison point (think he only had 20 starts or so). 

That Legia team was so uncharacteristically bad last season that I wouldn't put as much stock in it as you are. Luquinhas' numbers were down vs. prior season too. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Só they expect a 33 year old striker to run his ass off in the Red Bull system and score goals? Anyone else find this bizarre? Especially after so many others were passed over because they didnt fit the system.

One last job

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Klimala has no place to go but up.   This guy very likely can be done.  When strikers get old, they tend to fall off a cliff and never come back.   Look at BWP.   It's not like he's coming from the Prem or Serie A after an off season.  He's not Zlatan. 

I hope I'm wrong.  Maybe getting the band back together with Luqui will be magic.    Anyone want to bet on that?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

SWP in his prime was a speedy winger who relied on pace to blow by you. The years took his pace away. This polish striker was never fast, so it's unlikely that a few years will wash him up.

He's not the saving grace, but it is a low risk, low reward move. I'm all for it if the alternative is starting or playing Barlow down the stretch. Worst case he sucks and he comes off our roster next year.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I already admitted that it is not ambitious and underwhelming. However, the fact of the matter is that he has displayed much better scoring instincts throughout his career than Klimala. His movement and composure in the 18 is levels above. He is a much stronger aerial threat which is important based on the amount of aimless long balls that our CB's are instructed to play. He can cause MLS defenders fits in these duels and actually knock a few balls onto Luqinhas and Morgan's feet - something that Klimala can't do. He also has a rapport with Luquinhas which may help get him up to speed quicker here and actually make an impact this season. The sample size on Klimala in the Ekstraklasa is small and it is hard to really gauge it as a comparison point (think he only had 20 starts or so). 

That Legia team was so uncharacteristically bad last season that I wouldn't put as much stock in it as you are. Luquinhas' numbers were down vs. prior season too. 

Legia team was bad because their defense went to shit (they conceded 100% more goals than previous season), but they ended up scoring only two fewer goals than previous year (down 4%). It does not explain his 60% drop off in scoring. And even worse if you consider other competitions as well, where he netted a single goal in 14 games. Finally - there are not too many good players who are still FAs at this stage. A better explanation is that he declined due to age. Even BWP also dropped off drastically around the same age. You have to admit there is a significant likelihood of that explanation, even if we are not 100% sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users