123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...fc-freeman.html

"If Freeman returns to the league after 2009, New York would retain his MLS rights and would not receive compensation from Toronto"

You can apologize whenever you are ready.

You expect him to have any sense? According to his info, he'll be going to an inspirational game at the New Meadowlands between Santos and a hologram.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You expect him to have any sense? According to his info, he'll be going to an inspirational game at the New Meadowlands between Santos and a hologram.

Very well played.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

But think of all the inspiration...

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Diablo

Diablo

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos and MetroStars

But think of all the inspiration...

The holgram has more History in it's little finger than the RedBulls, and the only reason the red Bulls/metrostars even exist is because of the Hologram, if i remeber the first choice of some fans and people in MLS was to purchase the Name Cosmos for the NY/NJ franchise. i will admit i thought Toronto held his rights so i was wrong on that but the orignal article never clarified that. so i have no problem admitting when im wrong , why won't you admit your terified of the fact that Red Bull team will be the Devils,Nets of NJ = NO ONE CARES! Win something atleast till your start bashing another team that has a history of Trophies and Fans that actually showed up to regular season games and playoff games.
COSMOS1971-84-2013

West Ham fan

West Ham fan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Supports:West Ham United, RBNY, USMNT

The holgram has more History in it's little finger than the RedBulls, and the only reason the red Bulls/metrostars even exist is because of the Hologram, if i remeber the first choice of some fans and people in MLS was to purchase the Name Cosmos for the NY/NJ franchise. i will admit i thought Toronto held his rights so i was wrong on that but the orignal article never clarified that. so i have no problem admitting when im wrong , why won't you admit your terified of the fact that Red Bull team will be the Devils,Nets of NJ = NO ONE CARES! Win something atleast till your start bashing another team that has a history of Trophies and Fans that actually showed up to regular season games and playoff games.

"n00b" The first sentence in the original story talks about Red Bull having Hunter's rights.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the first choice of some fans and people in MLS was to purchase the Name Cosmos for the NY/NJ franchise.

Did Peppe Pinton get anything more than a handful of magic beans for selling his supposed ownership of the name to the current charlatans? Did other MLS franchises who adopted NASL names pay anyone to acquire them?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Before you start talking about holograms, Devils, trophies and the Brooklyn Nets lets get back to the topic at hand. Realistically the Cosmos will not join MLS until 2013 at the earliest, if ever. What kind of team exactly are the Cosmos going to field for this 'inspirational' game in 2011? Where are they going to get the players to play Santos? This is nothing more than a gimmick to get people to buy into the hype (and I'm throwing stones inside my glass house here). New York fans are not just going to show up to watch MLS caliber type players wearing the Cosmos jerseys and be 'inspired', they already avoid a team owned by an energy drink company, and that one at least plays in an existing league. So what's next, bring back Chinaglia, Pele and Beckenbaur against Neymar? People would surely love to see that, but it would be less then 'inspiring' to watch Pele fracture his hip. So let's assume the Cosmos loan players from teams in Europe. For that to happen, they're going to have to bring players with names, not just some second rate Brazilians who play for Metalurg Zaporizhya and no one has ever heard of. Any guy worth a dollar bringing is going to cost big, but take money out of the equation and you still have a huge barrier. All the players you want for this game are under contract with their respective clubs, and I doubt those clubs are going to risk injury to their players for a small loan payoff. Way till they learn the Meadowlands Stadium has a turf field and all talks will be broken before they even begin.

So all in all, while bringing the Cosmos back in 2015 in a SSS on Long Island is a great idea, the fact that someone would actually believe there is a real possibility of this 'inspirational' game taking place is laughable at best, and just plain sad at worst. Trophies or not.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

Diablo

Diablo

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Before you start talking about holograms, Devils, trophies and the Brooklyn Nets lets get back to the topic at hand. Realistically the Cosmos will not join MLS until 2013 at the earliest, if ever. What kind of team exactly are the Cosmos going to field for this 'inspirational' game in 2011? Where are they going to get the players to play Santos? This is nothing more than a gimmick to get people to buy into the hype (and I'm throwing stones inside my glass house here). New York fans are not just going to show up to watch MLS caliber type players wearing the Cosmos jerseys and be 'inspired', they already avoid a team owned by an energy drink company, and that one at least plays in an existing league. So what's next, bring back Chinaglia, Pele and Beckenbaur against Neymar? People would surely love to see that, but it would be less then 'inspiring' to watch Pele fracture his hip. So let's assume the Cosmos loan players from teams in Europe. For that to happen, they're going to have to bring players with names, not just some second rate Brazilians who play for Metalurg Zaporizhya and no one has ever heard of. Any guy worth a dollar bringing is going to cost big, but take money out of the equation and you still have a huge barrier. All the players you want for this game are under contract with their respective clubs, and I doubt those clubs are going to risk injury to their players for a small loan payoff. Way till they learn the Meadowlands Stadium has a turf field and all talks will be broken before they even begin.

So all in all, while bringing the Cosmos back in 2015 in a SSS on Long Island is a great idea, the fact that someone would actually believe there is a real possibility of this 'inspirational' game taking place is laughable at best, and just plain sad at worst. Trophies or not.

WOW somebody cares , so refreshing to see, think about this with all your hypothetical talk(some unrealistic), here is some for you, maybe by 2013 you will have up to 5 dp's who knows and maybe if they have the 40 million to join MLS then there must be a shit load of it behind this effort to Revive the Cosmos, so whats to say they won't have the money for 5 great players mixed in with some youth players ,some entry draft players,college kids. Forget about that exhibition game it's a gimmick i get it , so let it go, it's the endgame 2013 that really interests a true Cosmos fan. Speaking of players no one has ever heard of Lindpere as i recall was just another player from Estonia till he hustled and gave it 90 every night, so you talk about no name players is garbage ,there are players all over the world who play soccer that are unknown. please get a grip your flailing and fighting a losing battle and you know it.
COSMOS1971-84-2013

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

why won't you admit your terified of the fact that Red Bull team will be the Devils,Nets of NJ = NO ONE CARES!

Not even an ounce. It's up and up baby. However, your incoherent babble seems to indicate a lot of fear and touchiness on your end :)

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

WOW somebody cares , so refreshing to see, think about this with all your hypothetical talk(some unrealistic), here is some for you, maybe by 2013 you will have up to 5 dp's who knows and maybe if they have the 40 million to join MLS then there must be a shit load of it behind this effort to Revive the Cosmos, so whats to say they won't have the money for 5 great players mixed in with some youth players ,some entry draft players,college kids. Forget about that exhibition game it's a gimmick i get it , so let it go, it's the endgame 2013 that really interests a true Cosmos fan. Speaking of players no one has ever heard of Lindpere as i recall was just another player from Estonia till he hustled and gave it 90 every night, so you talk about no name players is garbage ,there are players all over the world who play soccer that are unknown. please get a grip your flailing and fighting a losing battle and you know it.

Reading comprehension is key. My comment was purely about the 'inspirational' game, nothing was said about the Cosmos of 2013, 2015 or 2139 for that matter. Everything I said was applied to the basis of that game. You're arguing a totally different point. Could the F. Cosmos have 5 DPs by 2020? Sure. Could they bring in Joel Jr to play for them in 2040? Why not. But that's not what we're talking about here.

In regards to the second comment, well that's just comical coming from you. Oh and just to clarify, no one is fighting any battles, you just can't seem to accept the facts that there are several major cracks in the return of the Cosmos, especially when people point them out to you.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

However, your incoherent babble seems to indicate a lot of fear and touchiness on your end :)

That's because he's aware that there's still plenty of uncertainty with the Cosmos, he just can't admit it. You know once you pass that point of 'Cosmos have trophies, you have shit' there's no going back and it's full throttle ahead either way.

MetroTard

MetroTard

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Supports:Eric D
Diablo, what will you do if the Cosmos are not awarded the second NYC spot?

Diablo

Diablo

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Diablo, what will you do if the Cosmos are not awarded the second NYC spot?

Jomo Cosmos baby!
COSMOS1971-84-2013

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

Revive the Cosmos

Unless Kelmsley has some sort of time machine that a '78 vintage Chinaglia, Bogie, Beckenbauer, etc are going to come trotting inspirationally out of next summer the only thing being revived is the Cosmos name. As someone who more or less grew up with the Cosmos I think its great the name is being brought out of mothballs but I'm also not foolish enough to think the 2.0 version will do any great justice to the legacy the name carries. If the new Cosmos can manage to field an all-star at every position line-up like in their predecessor's heyday under the finanacial restrictions of the MLS system, more power to them. Whatever the case may be I'll follow their progress in the box scores every week, maybe even catch a game or two when I can. But as far as living and dying with them it's strictly a case of been there and done that.
When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Reality check. I was there. The cosmos average like 12 ,000 or less the last few seasons of their existence. I remember the last season at giants stadium was worse off than most metrostars/red bulls games these last few years. You fail to mention that. Also, the cosmos averaged probably not even 1,000 before pele was signed when they played in some shit fields roosevelt field in jersey city or somewhere in brooklyn. Maybe you should check your facts first before lecturing people about "History".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users