Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,892 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

In an alternate reality where Marsch stays and Armas doesnt become our coach I dont believe this to be true at all.

He is a headache but talent wise I think it was a fair price.

Kaku's stats were unreal when Marsch was still here. Was easily in the lead for assists before Marsch bailed. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Kaku's stats were unreal when Marsch was still here. Was easily in the lead for assists before Marsch bailed. 

The difference is staggering. He had the same number of assists in like 3 months under Marsch than he did in almost 2 years under Armas.

Marsch really knew how to squeeze every ounce of quality out of his #10s. If you told anyone pre-2015 that Kljestan would be one of the most prolific and consistent attacking mids in MLS they'd just look at you funny.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,130 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The difference is staggering. He had the same number of assists in like 3 months under Marsch than he did in almost 2 years under Armas.

Marsch really knew how to squeeze every ounce of quality out of his #10s. If you told anyone pre-2015 that Kljestan would be one of the most prolific and consistent attacking mids in MLS they'd just look at you funny.

"Mucho Trabajo"

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

"Mucho Trabajo"

HAHAHAHA!

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

Our not quite bilingual Shakespeare.

RED. BULL. OUT.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

This may speak to the effectiveness of our high press. We scored so many goals as a result of miscues by the other team in their defensive half. Many assists were the product of this, rather than traditional build-up play. High press was piss weak under Armas.

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

This may speak to the effectiveness of our high press. We scored so many goals as a result of miscues by the other team in their defensive half. Many assists were the product of this, rather than traditional build-up play. High press was piss weak under Armas.

Wait, you're saying Armas was wrong in emphasizing possession?

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

i think Armas had a good idea to try to manage possession better.  But a good manager #1 job requirement is turning ideas into effective play and results. 

Armas couldn't teach the players how to use the ball well still and in the process blunted our biggest strength.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

In fairness, Armas justified dialing down the press and emphasizing possession by saying the team was starting to look burned out when he took over.

Maybe Marsch knew he was bouncing early and cared less about fatigue, in order to get results to secure his promotion? Yay RB ownership and these kinds of questions about what gets prioritized.

RED. BULL. OUT.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Not necessarily. Having a robust high press and being able to possess the ball are not mutually exclusive. But our pressour strength and identity as a teamwent to shit under Armas.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Not necessarily. Having a robust high press and being able to possess the ball are not mutually exclusive. But our pressour strength and identity as a teamwent to shit under Armas.

and why the heck does this forum take out my emdashes! Makes my post read like garbage

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

i think Armas had a good idea to try to manage possession better.  But a good manager #1 job requirement is turning ideas into effective play and results. 

Armas couldn't teach the players how to use the ball well still and in the process blunted our biggest strength.

Armas had an interesting idea but couldn't execute it. His issue was that he doubled down on an idea instead of playing the press consistently.

The thing with marsch is that he rolled deep into the bench to get fresh legs.

Armas didnt rotate his guys as much until last season. By then, it was done as a necessity since they looked gassed regardless of style.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Within 2 weeks Carnell had the team doing exactly what Armas tried and failed to do for two years - building possession from deep within our own half and actually generating attacking chances at the end of it. Guys were moving decisively off the ball and moving it within 1-2 touches when they got it.

Armas wasn't wrong when he said the team would benefit from learning a "Plan B" style of play. But he seemed to think that simply slowing down, sitting on your heels, and passing horizontally would be enough to open up a professional defense. There was never any clear idea of how to actually progress the ball forward.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

The effectiveness of the press would have diminished significantly the day Adams left, regardless of who the coach was.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,415 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

our press (our strength and identity as a team) went

Try parentheses ( )s.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users