94 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

That's because mls does not pay it's players. But if we paid Kemar like he is a top 3 player on the team he would stay. It's funny how the likes of Vernon and Baah can stay on the team for 2 and 3 years or more but our good to very good players are let go. And we wonder why we can't win MLS cup or champions league.

We're not cursed. We're just cheap as hell!

Both Agudelo and Miazga were clear - there was no offer any MLS team could make that would change their mind about playing in Europe. We even offered Miazga a DP contract, several of them according to Curtis. Its very much the reality of where MLS stands in the world of soccer that money alone won't always keep players around. 

And like others have said, if its clear that the player is leaving at the end of his contract no matter what, then you kind of have to get something or replacing them gets that much more difficult.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

That's because mls does not pay it's players. But if we paid Kemar like he is a top 3 player on the team he would stay. It's funny how the likes of Vernon and Baah can stay on the team for 2 and 3 years or more but our good to very good players are let go. And we wonder why we can't win MLS cup or champions league.

We're not cursed. We're just cheap as hell!

He wouldn't necessarily stay if we paid him as a top player. Miazga got  decent contract offer and skipped the fuck to Chelsea, who aren't even ever going to play him.

Kemar gets an offer from a medium team in one of the top leagues in Europe, and he is outta here. It will likely exceed any non-DP salary we can offer him, and increase his exposure and opportunities to sign an even bigger contract with a bigger team in the future.

Maaaybe we can keep top talent if we overpay them like TFC with Bradley and Altidore, but I don't want to do that with a fullback (or really any player).

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Both Agudelo and Miazga were clear - there was no offer any MLS team could make that would change their mind about playing in Europe. We even offered Miazga a DP contract, several of them according to Curtis. Its very much the reality of where MLS stands in the world of soccer that money alone won't always keep players around. 

And like others have said, if its clear that the player is leaving at the end of his contract no matter what, then you kind of have to get something or replacing them gets that much more difficult.

I see your point but isn't it worth keeping your best player so far on the year to try to stay at high level and get silverwear?  

Of course that why they pay them the bucks to be managers to assess if the team has been playing well enough without Kemar you get a trasnfer fee and let the guy get PAID.

But then again if  our form cools then good to have your best player on the year back. 

dang tough one. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
There are no rumors of a sale, and this is all just hypothetical, right?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There are no rumors of a sale, and this is all just hypothetical, right?

Not recently, no.  Just his comments about being underpaid.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

curious what do you think he is worth as top 3 LB in the league?
Lawrence gets 100K Base but 205K Comp?  Big range - not sure what drives that.
Afful gets ~ 275K and Beitashour ~$250.  Baah is in that range.
So his top end is within distance of Afful and Beitashour.  

also, replacment cost?  
Right now you could say nothing as Myul and Lade could amply step in - granted not to his level but I would be ok with them starting multiple games. 
Always tough to find LB - do we have any prospect for his role ?Noah Powder but I think he is a right back

By the way is Aaron Long the best bargain going?  65K and has played in/started every game - dang.

We haven't had a LB of his caliber maybe ever.  I'd give him 250k, 2-4 year deal and let him boss the left side.  When you get a good LB, you hold on to him.

#RedBullOut

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

We haven't had a LB of his caliber maybe ever.  I'd give him 250k, 2-4 year deal and let him boss the left side.  When you get a good LB, you hold on to him.

Actually the CURRENT system makes him just a little more expendable. I say CURRENT in caps cause who knows what we'll be playing in either the short or long term future.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Any system where Zizzo is my starter instead of Taxi is not OK with me.

#RedBullOut

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Hopefully we can use some of the Adidas MLS contract to get some money to increase the salaries somehow? Man, Adidas has a ton a money.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

Ditto. I'd go as high as 400k. Increase his role and let him produce for us. You guys realize he is he best full back in the region. If you doubt please name me one better?

Show him the money. Let's keep our world class talent.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

http://www.goal.com/...sq145u0j2r9ok8w

Interesting article about Andre Blake and Taxi both having moves to the Premier League killed because of Jamaica's FIFA ranking (outside of top 50 means that they don't automatically apply for a work permit).

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

http://www.goal.com/...sq145u0j2r9ok8w

Interesting article about Andre Blake and Taxi both having moves to the Premier League killed because of Jamaica's FIFA ranking (outside of top 50 means that they don't automatically apply for a work permit).

as happy as i am to have him on the team this is a sad story for him and other Jamaicans  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

as happy as i am to have him on the team this is a sad story for him and other Jamaicans  

Such a stupid clause, especially given how FIFA rankings are a joke and completely arbitrary at times.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Shame that the cutoff was lowered from 70 to 50. Were many players signed by English clubs from those 20 countries?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Such a stupid clause, especially given how FIFA rankings are a joke and completely arbitrary at times.

Yeah...hasn't Wales been able to inflate its ranking by simply not playing friendlies the past few years? Seems ridiculous, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users