330 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,301 posts

How? Honest question.

Chemistry.  Every now and then you get a natural chemistry but almost always you'll see a player perform better the more they get acclimated to their environment.  At least with Sims, he knows the language and there won't be a big culture shock, but guys are very often better in their first full season.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Chemistry.  Every now and then you get a natural chemistry but almost always you'll see a player perform better the more they get acclimated to their environment.  At least with Sims, he knows the language and there won't be a big culture shock, but guys are very often better in their first full season.

I doubt we'll miss the playoffs either way, but otherwise agree.

Who was the last Metro summer signing to hit the ground running and make an immediate significant impact? Nobody comes to mind at least since Marsch took over. And even Henry and BWP weren't particularly good instantly.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Only in MLS and for this team in particular does chemistry come up so often.

Are all the players on our team such snowflakes that they cant stand the guy who doesnt bring them flowers?

I dont buy this for a second. Its another bullshit line fed to us by Red Bull Inc. as to why they cant bring in that third DP or players of the level and quantity that we need.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Are all the players on our team such snowflakes that they cant stand the guy who doesnt bring them flowers?

I dont buy this for a second. Its another bullshit line fed to us by Red Bull Inc. as to why they cant bring in that third DP or players of the level and quantity that we need.

What? 

Chemistry does not refer to whether or not players like each other. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,119 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Who was the last Metro summer signing to hit the ground running and make an immediate significant impact? Nobody comes to mind at least since Marsch took over. 

Since Marsch was HC in '15...

Veron

Royer

Damari

Keita

Ivan

Royer was the closest. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

There is no question RB fucked us in the off-season. But with 10 games left - it takes time to learn completely new system, play with each other, and more players you have to ingrate in the short time, the harder it is to make a cohesive unit. It's not like we are bringing Ronaldo or Messi. We can bring guys who maybe will be a bit of an upgrade or even back-ups for depth. It just takes time for them to learn and gel and there are growing pains. We can't afford to drop points now we otherwise wouldn't drop trying too many new things at this stage. Now is time to polish up, and make a final push. Incorporating Sims alone who had no exposure to RB would be challenge enough. In the offseason I agree, we need to improve the roster, unlike BS that was pulled last year.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Since Marsch was HC in '15...

Veron

Royer

Damari

Keita

Ivan

Royer was the closest. 

Even Royer had marginal impact the season he joined. Still that would be an upgrade over Muyl, which is what I am hoping Sims will provide in play-offs.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

you know this isn't American football where players just follow the playbook and routes.  

This is completely accurate.  Kaku and Valot had good chemistry and Kaku even said as such.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Another point of reference. Matt Miazga, best defender in MLS when he was here and current USMNT starter spent 2019 playing for Redding - the same club where Sims played. Then Sims was promoted back to EPL right before Miazga got there. Hard to say for sure of course but it appears based on resume Sims SHOULD be a decent MLS player and someone to get excited about. EPL ended in May, then he played in U23 tourney where he got some minutes in June and preseason in July, so I am hoping there is no off-season rust there.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,119 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Even Royer had marginal impact the season he joined. Still that would be an upgrade over Muyl, which is what I am hoping Sims will provide in play-offs.

by the away TFC game of that yr, which was approx a month after he was signed, was when he showed his worth. 

just look at his involvement in our 1st 2 goals in this highlight. he'd been here less than 2 months:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_yOh_CFuyOQ

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Another point of reference. Matt Miazga, best defender in MLS when he was here and current USMNT starter spent 2019 playing for Redding - the same club where Sims played. Then Sims was promoted back to EPL right before Miazga got there. Hard to say for sure of course but it appears based on resume Sims SHOULD be a decent MLS player and someone to get excited about. EPL ended in May, then he played in U23 tourney where he got some minutes in June and preseason in July, so I am hoping there is no off-season rust there.

bingo - Miazga + level and a position that could use an offensive minded upgrade.  And used to system and likely in shape.  Fly him to LA - ok or maybe Yankee Stadium

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i wonder if he could get a game in with RBII this weekend, and then practice with the 1st team and come off the bench next weekend vs NE

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

What? 

Chemistry does not refer to whether or not players like each other. 

Yes I know.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

you know this isn't American football where players just follow the playbook and routes.  
This is completely accurate.  Kaku and Valot had good chemistry and Kaku even said as such.  

I understand the chemistry argument I just think its completely overblown and another lame excuse ownership throws at us constantly for their own underperformance.

There are players who walk into teams and have an immediate impact. First one that comes to mind for us is Tim Parker. Yes yes he played in MLS already blah blah blah.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I understand the chemistry argument I just think its completely overblown and another lame excuse ownership throws at us constantly for their own underperformance.

There are players who walk into teams and have an immediate impact. First one that comes to mind for us is Tim Parker. Yes yes he played in MLS already blah blah blah.

Parker also wasn't really mid-season, but yes, he did have an immediate impact. 

Acquiring Collin early to mid-season also had an immediate, overwhelmingly positive impact on our club. 

Acclimating to the league is a bigger hurdle than acclimating to a new club, in many cases. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users