488 replies to this topic

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

He looked like trash last year, not sure how he put up so many assists. He's going to be washed soon, it's the metro philosophy to walk away from a guy before that happens.

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Well, when I see something like this the first thing I think of is:  "How much money will that  free up"? Jettisoning salary seems to be a necessary precursor to any RB acquisition (I'm not really sure as I haven't studied MLS rules relative to team budget, but you get my drift).

Anywhoooo....... can we dump whatever we get for Sacha on top of the $1.7M we offered for that Romanian winger (or whomever)? Or did the $1.7M offer anticipate this sale? Talk about zero-sum game.

Details, details....

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I would give the captain's armband to Robles.  He's not going anywhere for a couple years where BWP could be in jeopardy after this next season depending on how he looks.

I do strongly believe that trading Sacha is the right move.  His physical regression this year was obvious I thought.  The only argument I do somewhat understand in people being against the trade is the argument that we have to worry about using the money to get an actual replacement.  That is a definite worry.  I mean, I would rather Tyler take that spot without a doubt, but we need a replacement at right mid.

I think we are switching back to the 4-2-3-1 and I don't think Davis is going to make it work as one of the wingers in that formation.  I'd move him back to one of the 6's next to Felipe. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Produced at a crazy high level for us but was also a reason we couldnt win the big one.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This was the time to make this move... plain and simple.

We found a buyer for him and we get him off the books. Now, it's up to the powers that be to bring in some younger reinforcements. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Adams back in the middle of the field. He was easily a top three player for this team down the stretch. It was getting to point where every time he touched the ball, you thought an opportunity would be created. 

Going to be an interesting offseason... 

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

This was the time to make this move... plain and simple.

We found a buyer for him and we get him off the books. Now, it's up to the powers that be to bring in some younger reinforcements. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Adams back in the middle of the field. He was easily a top three player for this team down the stretch. It was getting to point where every time he touched the ball, you thought an opportunity would be created. 

Going to be an interesting offseason... 

They are going to replace him with garbage from leagues that aren't even as good as MLS. You know this, I know this, everyone on this board knows this. That's the problem. Oh, and there's also the whole Adams possibly being sold thing as well.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

I wonder if there were some discussions had with Adams and his agent about what it would take for him to stick around for a year or two and he said he wanted to play in a more attacking role. Certainly makes it an easy answer if the choice is to lose Sacha or lose Adams. Just random speculation.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

They are going to replace him with garbage from leagues that aren't even as good as MLS. You know this, I know this, everyone on this board knows this. That's the problem. Oh, and there's also the whole Adams possibly being sold thing as well.

Since the change in philosophy theyve won a Shield, the East a second time, and then last year was the only real bad season (we still made the playoffs and went to the Open Cup final). We lost big money DP in Henry and brought in a TAM/low money DP in Sacha. We also signed Taxi and Royer. Have RB splashed the cash like ATL? No, but its unfair to say theyre bringing in garbage. Even if some signings like Veron and Keita didnt pan out they way we wanted, they were ok signings.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Since the change in philosophy theyve won a Shield, the East a second time, and then last year was the only real bad season (we still made the playoffs and went to the Open Cup final). We lost big money DP in Henry and brought in a TAM/low money DP in Sacha. We also signed Taxi and Royer. Have RB splashed the cash like ATL? No, but its unfair to say theyre bringing in garbage. Even if some signings like Veron and Keita didnt pan out they way we wanted, they were ok signings.

Note things are progressively getting worse results wise. Notice that almost everyone in the East is getting better while we aren't. Also IIRC fans from one of the teams Keita played for were laughing at us online for signing him.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The point is, the rest of the league is progressing, and we aren't.   We won a Shield under Petke, we made the semi-finals three years ago, and haven't improved on that,  with declining points the last two years.  We are doing some very good things, like building from our academy and keeping a coach around for more than a cup of coffee, but the league is becoming haves and have nots, despite what some low budget teams have accomplished.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

The point is, the rest of the league is progressing, and we aren't.   We won a Shield under Petke, we made the semi-finals three years ago, and haven't improved on that,  with declining points the last two years.  We are doing some very good things, like building from our academy and keeping a coach around for more than a cup of coffee, but the league is becoming haves and have nots, despite what some low budget teams have accomplished.  

Agreed. My only point is, I dont care if Sacha & Royer came from second rate leagues or that they make under $1M. In two of three seasons under this new methodology weve signed two excellent players in Sacha and Royer. So what if they didnt cost $5M or come from a top league.

And, last year we didnt make any big additions (Im calling Adams for Dax a push) to a side that just came off back to back East wins, including a Shield. Was that Red Bull being cheap? Maybe. Could have also been them believing that Sacha, BWP, Royer, et al were good enough to win it all. They certainly looked good enough the prior two seasons.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Note things are progressively getting worse results wise. Notice that almost everyone in the East is getting better while we aren't. Also IIRC fans from one of the teams Keita played for were laughing at us online for signing him.

Was it a fan of the Polish side that Keita last played for?

Keita may well turn out to be a bad signing, but he looked ok in the minutes he got. Way too early to tell either way on him.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

And, last year we didnt make any big additions (Im calling Adams for Dax a push) to a side that just came off back to back East wins, including a Shield. Was that Red Bull being cheap? Maybe. Could have also been them believing that Sacha, BWP, Royer, et al were good enough to win it all. They certainly looked good enough the prior two seasons.

Re: soda people being cheap: I was told point blank by someone who would know that they are NEVER spending big on players ever again. If you don't think that is problematic look at the top 4 teams in the East this season and tell me what they had in common?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Was it a fan of the Polish side that Keita last played for?

Keita may well turn out to be a bad signing, but he looked ok in the minutes he got. Way too early to tell either way on him.

Yes, and there were a couple of them if memory serves.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Re: soda people being cheap: I was told point blank by someone who would know that they are NEVER spending big on players ever again. If you don't think that is problematic look at the top 4 teams in the East this season and tell me what they had in common?

I believe it regarding the spending. Yes, this year the top four teams in the regular season spent big. The last two years though, we topped the East in the regular season, so its not impossible.

That said, I agree with you Id rather spend like Toronto or Atlanta than the way Red Bull does.

Yes, and there were a couple of them if memory serves.

So part of the fan base that heckled Keita with racial slurs while he was there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users