129 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

We never got to see Gulbrandsen on the wing. I know he is a central player, but he had the speed to play wide. But, like Veron and Etienne, Marsch would only play him in a two forward set up or as BWPs backup. On Seeing Red this week, RZA said one of the reasons he came was because of how good Gulbrandsen said it was here. If thats true, then he really only left for playing time. Shame Marsch never gave him a chance to play wide.

He struck me as the kind of forward that would excel in Major League Soccer. Good to see that he's taken a starting role elsewhere though. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,488 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

when the first loan didn't work out he went to a league in Romania that's arguably below MLS in ... level of play.

Perhaps you mean the second loan? He was in Denmark, then Finland, prior to Romania. He may have enjoyed being in Europe, even if his career did not advance.
http://metrofanatic....ayer.jsp?ID=303

reported that he had no interest in coming back ... 

Reported by who? Rumors are rumors.
All the same, he may have felt that he was on the radar in Europe, compared with MLS.

He's only here because literally no one else wanted him

That is as a result of his play, not his aspirations.
Perhaps he will grow up. Perhaps not.
In the meantime, he is a warm body on the bench.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We never got to see Gulbrandsen on the wing. I know he is a central player, but he had the speed to play wide. But, like Veron and Etienne, Marsch would only play him in a two forward set up or as BWPs backup. On Seeing Red this week, RZA said one of the reasons he came was because of how good Gulbrandsen said it was here. If thats true, then he really only left for playing time. Shame Marsch never gave him a chance to play wide.

Marsch did try him on the wings once or twice after it became clear he wasn't gonna get the playing time he wanted up top - it didn't go well. Probably not fair to judge on such a small sample size in a new position, but Marsch did do his best to make it work. I think this one can be chalked up to a good player and a good team that just weren't a good fit for each other.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Marsch did try him on the wings once or twice after it became clear he wasn't gonna get the playing time he wanted up top - it didn't go well. Probably not fair to judge on such a small sample size in a new position, but Marsch did do his best to make it work. I think this one can be chalked up to a good player and a good team that just weren't a good fit for each other.

Was he on the wing or the second forward in the 4-2-2-2? I could be rememberring wrong, but a decent chunk of his minutes came with B team players when Jesse rotated the whole squad. When I have time later, Ill break down his minutes with Sacha versus minutes with another CAM.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,307 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think this is just a matter of us owning his rights and not having time to get him loaned or sent anywhere else, so we are stuck with him unless we are ok getting nothing for him.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Bird in the hand. As long as he is better at striker than Rivas (hard not to be) and DE, then we have made progress.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Was he on the wing or the second forward in the 4-2-2-2? I could be rememberring wrong, but a decent chunk of his minutes came with B team players when Jesse rotated the whole squad. When I have time later, Ill break down his minutes with Sacha versus minutes with another CAM.

I'm thinking out wide in the usual 4-2-3-1, it woulda been one of the games he came on as a sub but couldn't tell you which without actually watching the replays. His last starts were the draw against Toronto as a striker in a 4-1-3-2 (which I really liked and wish Marsch used more), and the 0-2 loss at KC as a striker when the entire B (maybe C) team started in the 4-2-2-2.

So probably even a smaller sample size than I remembered, but I recall at least one game where he came in playing out wide and did not look comfortable.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,104 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

v Cosmos at RBA 4-1 W

It was:

Abang up top, Sam and Zizzo on the wings, with Sacha at the 10. Davis was one of the 2 CDMs, with Duvall and Lade at outside back Miazga Perrinelle and Robles rounding out the squad. Zizzo scored 1st, then Abang, Sacha on a PK in front of 101 and Grella near the end.

http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=6999

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Well to the surprise of no one we really blew it adding that one attacking winger piece that would have put us over the top.

However, the Abang thing COULD work out. I was hoping for a more proven target forward towards the end of his career, but as long as his head is on straight this is a good addition. If Im Armas, then Im having Long and Parker double him up while RZA whips in crosses. After training Im locking him in a room for the rest of the day and forcing him to watch every single minute Brian McBride ever played.

Abang has one job to do: Come in late in a playoff game against a parked bus and head one home.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,488 posts
Change to thread title to Abang: Exile and Return!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,307 posts

The Prodigal Abang is A-back.... the type of guy we need in the mix, just not likely the quality of guy we need.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,307 posts

Well to the surprise of no one we really blew it adding that one attacking winger piece that would have put us over the top....

Too soon to tell.  Lets see what Ivan brings to the table.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
From today's quick clip on Twitter and constant pause-play, it appears Abang will wear #25.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,488 posts

it appears Abang will wear #25.

Ivan got here just in time to claim #9.
Did Abang care enough to inquire about it?

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Huracan more and more

Tomorrow's news:

After being denied the #9, Anatole Abang was caught taking pictures of Ivan's credit card and stealing $100 from his wallet.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users