69 replies to this topic

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

A lot of us said BWP couldn't finish, until he started to. This thread gives me the so-Metro feeling that Etienne is going to get impatiently traded away, only to flourish elsewhere.

BWP had 2 goals in 408 minutes in his first season here. A goal every 204 minutes isn't good for a forward, but that was a pretty small sample.

Etienne has 15 goals in 5,965 professional minutes. That's one every 397 minutes.

If Etienne was twice as good as he has been throughout his career, he'd be as good as BWP was at his freshly-arrived worst.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,926 posts
  • Supports:Metro

BWP had 2 goals in 408 minutes in his first season here. A goal every 204 minutes isn't good for a forward, but that was a pretty small sample.

Etienne has 15 goals in 5,965 professional minutes. That's one every 397 minutes.

If Etienne was twice as good as he has been throughout his career, he'd be as good as BWP was at his freshly-arrived worst.

And how many in goals / minutes at the MLS? I'd rather see Moreno given a look at this point. With DE's inability to put the ball in the net, we need to seriously consider someone else as a backup forward.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Fair. But again, judging a winger as a striker. He's not a striker, he's a playmaker who's regularly played out of position as a #9 and on b-teams.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
Etienne has improved every season. Really the only thing lacking is consistency over 90 minutes and a finishing touch.

He should not be the backup for BWP. But what are the other options? Id be happy to see Moreno, Mines, White or even Royer in that spot and if we were going to mail in the Cbus game then maybe we should have seen one of them.

Etienne is a creative midfielder. You start or bring him on as a midfielder to generate chances. Thats what weve learned this season. Just as weve learned that you start or bring on Muyl for bite.

This team needs another finisher on the bench and we need to stop crapping all over our homegrowns for not being what the coaching staff is trying to force them into. If anyone is to blame its the staff for misusing them.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Rochester Rhinos, USMNT
Why did we loan out Rivas so quick? It would be nice to see what he could do up top if given a chance. Outside of BWP we have no forwards, so we loan one of them out? Makes no sense.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

And how many in goals / minutes at the MLS? I'd rather see Moreno given a look at this point. With DE's inability to put the ball in the net, we need to seriously consider someone else as a backup forward.

3 in 1,277

I think the anti-Etienne argument is more compelling when you include all numbers because the numbers still suck when you include USL. Plus, it neuters the "but he doesn't get regular enough minutes in MLS!" argument.

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

One thing to remember about Etienne is that he was 3rd on the striker depth chart at the beginning of the year, behind BWP and Rivas. Rivas just ended up being a total bust, which isn't Etienne's fault.

I've advocated for an Alan Gordon type backup all year. Hopefully something is in the works.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Why did we loan out Rivas so quick? It would be nice to see what he could do up top if given a chance. Outside of BWP we have no forwards, so we loan one of them out? Makes no sense.

My guess is there was more to Rivas's story than just his play. He was back and forth from Colombia all season for "personal reasons" and was clearly out of shape. Maybe he was homesick, who knows.

He was the same story as Etienne though, a career winger who we only tried at striker because there wasn't a true backup on the roster.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

A lot of us said BWP couldn't finish, until he started to. This thread gives me the so-Metro feeling that Etienne is going to get impatiently traded away, only to flourish elsewhere.

I hope that BWP is playing the big brother role and getting on DE7's ass everyday and telling him how great he can be and how many chances he's missing the same way Thierry Henry used to do to BWP.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,488 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
IMO, the proper spelling is whiff.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

DE7 has to do a lot more juggling in practice. He needs to get a better feel of the ball and improve his touch.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,307 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but BWP isn't a great finisher.   He's a master, absolutely fucking brilliant, at getting himself in position to score, but Henry was right, despite BWP's impressive shots per goal, goals per minute, etc., he couldawouldashoulda scored way more than he has.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
That's always been my take. He's become more clinical in the last two years, but BWP needs a steady stream of looks and chances to stay in rhythm, which hes great at helping create with his movement and timing. Think of playoff games where he got very few chances and didn't bury the one or two. So you need inventive ballers like Kaku and DE7 along with industrious ones like Adams and Royer to keep feeding him good looks.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,926 posts

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but BWP isn't a great finisher.   He's a master, absolutely fucking brilliant, at getting himself in position to score, but Henry was right, despite BWP's impressive shots per goal, goals per minute, etc., he couldawouldashoulda scored way more than he has.   

If we are going to nitpick then sure. If he was a great finisher, he never would have been here in the first place.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.
At this point they should just convert him to a holding mid or a wing back
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users