192 replies to this topic

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Why isn't there a two-way street between us and RB in Germany and Austria?

Then they wouldn't be our overlords.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

It was reported the $5m offer was for Lawrence. It's not just speculation: https://twitter.com/...936948253921280

Surprising, but it did come from the Championship, and they've got money. No other offers will come close to that, though.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Wasn't it pretty quickly refuted that the $5M wasn't for Taxi? Love the guy but that would be an insane offer...

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Wasn't it pretty quickly refuted that the $5M wasn't for Taxi? Love the guy but that would be an insane offer...

Agree that its probably high for Taxi, but Championship teams have money and maybe theyre trying to sell him playing second division.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

He doesnt sound unhappy here, so a team in the Championship may not be enough. Sounds like the attraction is to a "big team in a big league," which I guess means one of the few French teams PSG doesn't completely maul on a weekly basis.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I think he would be a solid Championship defender if England is his dream. He'd also start in a lot of top flight leagues around Europe.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Maybe that would work. This article, along with some of his comments from earlier, suggest Lawrence is focused on Jamaican players in general getting more respect and not just on himself. He might feel he can better serve that goal in Europe, even if he could get a similar salary from Red Bull.

Isnt it tough for him to get a visa to play in Europe because of Jamaicas low FIFA ranking? He may not have a choice, but to stay here with a raise.

England is pretty stringent (the top 50 FIFA ranking rule explained, compared to top 70 previously). Other EU countries less so. Even for England, wouldn't be surprised if he passes the appeals process on the strength of him being an important player for Jamaica and leading them to a Gold Cup final with that late winner over Mexico.

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams
There has been no $5 million offer from any team for Adams, Lawrence or anyone on the roster.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

There has been no $5 million offer from any team for Adams, Lawrence or anyone on the roster.

Thank you! I saw the Garber quote but missed your story on that. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He doesnt sound unhappy here, so a team in the Championship may not be enough. Sounds like the attraction is to a "big team in a big league," which I guess means one of the few French teams PSG doesn't completely maul on a weekly basis.

The thing about many athletes is that almost every single one thinks he is good enough for the top levels, and that he just needs someone to give him a shot. Look at how many guys play in independent baseball leagues into their mid-20s hoping just to get an offer to play Single-A, which they hope will get them a chance to move up the ladder and eventually reach the MLB. Look at all the shitty teams Freddy Adu has played on just to keep his career alive. Denial is a hell of a drug.

Even if what a top league is what Lawrence is aiming for, it's pretty easy to see how a decent championship team would put him closer to that goal. It's a better league which would dramatically increase his visibility to European scouts. Much shittier athletes have taken much more drastic measures to keep the dream alive. I wouldn't be blown away if he opted to stay here with an increased role and improved contract, but it's pretty easy to see why he would make the move to the Championship if that is offered.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Thanks. Don Garber is full of shit as usual.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The thing about many athletes is that almost every single one thinks he is good enough for the top levels.

Many people posting on this board think they are good enough to be RBNY head coach and sporting director simultaneously.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Love Lawrence but don't wanna deny a guy from advancing his career. If we can get something for him great. Let him move to a bigger league and get a bigger paycheck. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Many people posting on this board think they are good enough to be RBNY head coach and sporting director simultaneously.

I think you are good enough to be RBNY head coach and sporting director simultaneously! When you get the job I want your first act to be bringing back MetroDog.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I hope we can hold onto him for one and maybe two more seasons at least till January 2019...then I don't blame him for leaving...

I think NY if they add a legitimate star or two from another league that was influential in winning a title guys that can score and set up goals and bolster the defense with another CB then I think NYRB can win MLS Cup but Taxi will be needed..
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users