• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Roofles

Roofles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:belligerent love that Red Bulls fans threw his way, in that particularly entitled, disrespectful, yet somehow fiercely loyal manner New York sports fans specialize in.

Controversy? What Controversy? 

http://www.theguardi...bled-conclusion

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

The idea that an Irishman would be attentive and reverent during the playing of "God Save The Queen" is completely laughable.  Now, if they played the Sex Pistols' version, that would be another story entirely.

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

The idea that an Irishman would be attentive and reverent during the playing of "God Save The Queen" is completely laughable.  Now, if they played the Sex Pistols' version, that would be another story entirely.

If only American's would feel this way to other people if they felt like not "honoring" the American flag.   I absolutely agree with you, but to criticize other people's jingoism when America is #1 in jingoism is weird.  I mean people got mad that Jozy doesn't hold his hand over his heart, FFS.

PitchOnEStreet

PitchOnEStreet

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY -- USMNT

Next thing you know, James McClean won't overlay the British flag on his Facebook profile picture! That bastard!

:)+

I already know the answer to this question, but won't the British media ever get tired of this yellow journalism?

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Why is this guy a topic anymore? He didn't sign here. 

He can go about his faux outrage all he wants. It is of no consequence.

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Why is this guy a topic anymore? He didn't sign here. 

He can go about his faux outrage all he wants. It is of no consequence.

Someone poked the sleeping bear.

Pebble

Pebble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts

Someone poked the sleeping bear.

Eh. I just don't care enough. He's not on any team that I would want to see win. I was all on board with getting him, but our ownership is cheap so... 

#RedBullOut

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Good for him. As a red -blooded American I give no respect to bullshit obsolete ideas like royalty and aristocracy.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Someone with a Korean screenname says Americans are #1 in jingoism???  I know it's hot outside, but really?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams

Eh. I just don't care enough. He's not on any team that I would want to see win. I was all on board with getting him, but our ownership is cheap so... 

I know this is the opinion out there (and clearly RBNY isn't spending like they used to) but in this case, the salary offered by the franchise to McClean was on par with his current wages in England. Red Bull was close to getting him.

But he decided that staying put was best for his career. This particular instance wasn't about cheapness. 

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

I know this is the opinion out there (and clearly RBNY isn't spending like they used to) but in this case, the salary offered by the franchise to McClean was on par with his current wages in England. Red Bull was close to getting him.

But he decided that staying put was best for his career. This particular instance wasn't about cheapness. 

It was actually the same deal? In the story I saw it just said "a very attractive deal". But I'm a message board mouth breather with no inside info. Would have loved to have him. 

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Red Bull wasn't trying to sign a young winger to a wage that a bottom-half Premier League team would pay.

They were trying to convince a young winger to move to MLS, which means OVERPAYING relative to the UK market.

Did Toronto get Giovinco because they matched what a club like Parma would pay? No, they had to SIGNIFICANTLY outbid Italian teams. That's the way it is for any promising young player an MLS team wants to bid on against Euro teams. Hell, it's why your Lampards and Gerrards fly over.

So if Red Bull was "close" to what McLean ultimately signed for, then they were never in the game, and weren't really serious bidders at all. But they get to pretend to their fans that they were THIS CLOSE to bringing him in.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Pebble

Pebble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts

McClean isn't making a huge amount of money in England, but the following pretty much sums up my thoughts: 

So if Red Bull was "close" to what McLean ultimately signed for, then they were never in the game, and weren't really serious bidders at all. But they get to pretend to their fans that they were THIS CLOSE to bringing him in.

I think management has a budget and they would have maxed out the budget with the offer they had made to McClean. Basically, the budget they have isn't realistic. Ownership doesn't care about this market and they are not making any further efforts to win. 

#RedBullOut

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

This should be really encouraging to us that RB is indeed willing to spend some more money. Is it as much as we previously spent? No, but it's still more than we're currently spending. This is a good thing. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

No it's not. You want a player to play HERE in THIS league, you have to over pay. 

Ali should try and haggle prices on 46th St and 6th Ave, let's see how far he gets.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users