#16 jokerman326

jokerman326

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

This was already in the Daily Herald 2 weeks ago, and I saw on the News they were talking about it. I was suprised by one venue that was on there and then thought, WOW thats actually smart -->McCormick Place.

Soccer, if Soldier Field will not work alternative 2 is actually Brigham Field @ Huskie Stadium in DeKalb...NOT Toyota Park.

You gotta be kidding me..... Huskie Stadium? Dekalb?Soccer?!?

#17 ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

It would be sweet:
Posted Image

#18 jokerman326

jokerman326

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

Where's the parking lot? Um.. seats are so far back folks will be watchign the game on their laptops or iPods or whatever tech gadgets are around come that time.

#19 irishoutsider

irishoutsider

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Supports:ND, Chicago Fire, Liverpool FC, US

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

Wouldnt that be a temporary stadium?

#20 firesting81

firesting81

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Supports:FIRE - DM Menace - Fulham

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

I'd much rather keep Toyota Park. I don't exactly enjoy watching a game across a half-mile wide track.

#21 Paolo

Paolo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, QuerĂ©taro FC

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

I don't think there's any real danger of this thing ever replacing Toyota Park, but I wouldn't necessarily hate playing in a stadium that includes a track--it'd at least make it very European feeling.

#22 tzimaki

tzimaki

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Supports:Healthy living.

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

European feel? Hahaha....I dont know if that is necessarily a good thing in this case.

I feel bad for fans of those teams who have to watch a game from beyond the track. Gosh the goal at the other end of the stadium must seem so far away, especially those down in front.

#23 OHFireFan

OHFireFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

The best Euro parks have the fans right on the feild breathing down the oppositions neck and why would you want or would the FO even think of moving into a stadium A) after only one year at TP and B) with a much larger capacity than the stadium they already don't sell out on a regular basis. It would be a terrible enviornment and hard to enjoy the game from that far away.

#24 tesseract1023

tesseract1023

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

I think the original post was meant as a joke more than anything, as in, a "wouldn't it be cool" kinda' thing.

However, a couple serious things about that stadium:

(i) Its main seating stands are in fact temporary and will be reduced from approx. 80k to 5k for local track and field events once the games are over; and

(ii) given the design of the kick ass 2008 Beijing Olympic Stadium and the one for the 2012 London games - (Sidenote: Go to Wikipedia and look up "Summer Olympics." You will be able to search every previous and future olympic city and research its "main" corresponding olympic staduim.) - I think the one we've got going for us is pretty bland. I saw it today and was like, "eh." Reminds me of all the cookie-cutter baseball stadia of the 1960's...

#25 WB05 Brandon

WB05 Brandon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

i'm glad we're still chasing the "european feel" seriously. buy a fucking plane ticket and go to europe if you want european feel. or you can touch me, and feel how european i am.

#26 Shanks

Shanks

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire!

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

i'm glad we're still chasing the "european feel" seriously. buy a fucking plane ticket and go to europe if you want european feel. or you can touch me, and feel how european i am.

agreed; I'm fairly certain whatever "euro feel" we have is already pushing a lot of fans away from becoming interested in professional soccer.

#27 chengb02

chengb02

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:Fire/Arsenal/GuoAn

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

I don't even know where to start...

1. talking about replacing TP after only a year is just insane

2. how could any real fan want to watch soccer behind a track? Add a Euro feel? I'm sure the majority of fans who have to deal with the hell of watching soccer from across a track wish they didn't have to...

3. lets go from our rather intimate venue built perfectly for soccer to a multisport stadium with capacity probably around 80,000 where 70,000 of those seats would remain empty...or because its temporary, it will go down to less than the capacity of TP, oh well, that way at least there'd be a bit of demand for tickets...

4. I think the fact the Olympic Committee is going for a temporary stadium plays a part in the very pedestrian design of it, but still, its pretty weak.

5. i don't get why we're discussing a stadium that will probably never exist and would only be temporary as has been pointed out...

#28 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

The olympic stadium would probably be nice if it happens, but it is temporary. The only thing that might have been good is if the bid process for 2016 was earlier or if the stadium deal happened later so we could have gotten involved with the City of Chicago on having the downsized Olympic Stadium become our place - and even that wouldn't have been until 2017.

Ifs and Buts, though. We have a home now.

#29 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

I don't think there's any real danger of this thing ever replacing Toyota Park, but I wouldn't necessarily hate playing in a stadium that includes a track--it'd at least make it very European feeling.

This is the most stupid fucking thing I've ever read in my life.

#30 greene

greene

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

I just stumbled across this on the Chicago 2016 website.

http://www.chicago20...ue_gallery.aspx

It gives you a nice list and set of pictures of the venues. The olympic stadium is real nice. My only gripe is... UMinn stadium for soccer pre-lims...WTF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users