45 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Pretty good points. 

Sometimes we want an explanation (simple or not) and there just isn't one (or at least it's unknowable, philosophers can debate the difference). Cosmos in the 70s? 77,691 at Giants Stadium for Cosmos vs. Strikers (I think it was Strikers). Why? At least partly because of the NASL stars:  Chinaglia, Neeskens, Cruyff, Marinho, Carlos Alberto (I know not all Cosmos, nevertheless part of the League). Didn't Giants Stadium draw an almost full house for an LA/Red Bull game (Beckham vs. JPA)? 

MLS may be perceived by those who control the relevant media as "second class", newspapers (and I use the term loosely around here) won't spend much time covering it, sports radio has plenty of other things to discuss. The word "contempt" comes to mind. This notwithstanding, there are writers who seem to like soccer, Mark Cannizzaro comes to mind, he's written a couple of pieces recently on Red Bull. My guess is it's an unpaid gig, though.

Again, part of it is star power. Populate the league with players that people around the world pay attention to you and New York will want to come to the party.

thanks

see NASL folds for regarding star power.

we have star power with Henry, Wayne Zlatan, Almiron Adams.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,784 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
After reading The NY Times for the past week, it seems that the only way for our club to attract coverage, would be for players to allege being abused, or for them to sue. There was a front page story on the US women suing for better pay and work conditions. Today, the entire front page of Sports Monday is a photo of Raheem Sterling, with two more pages detailing a number of abuse incidents over his entire life.
Meanwhile, BoyCity is also ignored, while the Knicks get AP wire coverage of a home loss. The NYT does not send a reporter 10 blocks to watch the Knicks, but either sends a reporter to London, or buys that 3-page story.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

After reading The NY Times for the past week, it seems that the only way for our club to attract coverage, would be for players to allege being abused, or for them to sue. There was a front page story on the US women suing for better pay and work conditions. Today, the entire front page of Sports Monday is a photo of Raheem Sterling, with two more pages detailing a number of abuse incidents over his entire life.
Meanwhile, BoyCity is also ignored, while the Knicks get AP wire coverage of a home loss. The NYT does not send a reporter 10 blocks to watch the Knicks, but either sends a reporter to London, or buys that 3-page story.

Why would you expect (or want?!) NYT coverage for an MLS early regular season game (a 0-0 draw) or CCL games that even our fanbase largely ignored (at least in terms of attendance)? The current iteration of the Knicks dumpster fire has been extensively covered for years, you can only do that every so often.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Such is the manner of most of the press these days.  If there's no sensationalism, it's not worth printing.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,784 posts

Why would you expect (or want?!) NYT coverage ...

Frankly, I do not expect NYT coverage, unless a fan attacks a player at RBA or YS, or there is video of abuse, or SkyBlue players sue Murphy.
Or some combination thereof.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Oh fuck the NYT sports section right up the shoot with a cattle prod.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Frankly, I do not expect NYT coverage, unless a fan attacks a player at RBA or YS, or there is video of abuse, or SkyBlue players sue Murphy.
Or some combination thereof.

Is there a newspaper that actually does cover the team?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,784 posts

Is there a newspaper that actually does cover the team?

I would say no.
The only 2019 article I could find from an NJ newspaper in a websearch of New York Red Bulls, was a generic MLS article from the online site northjersey.com, which is a combine of the Bergen Record and the old Passaic Herald-News:
https://www.northjer...les/2507595002/

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

The Post has had a few stories so far this year: https://nypost.com/s...rch/red bulls/?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,784 posts

The Post has had a few stories so far this year

Will the NYP have game day coverage?

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I would say no.
The only 2019 article I could find from an NJ newspaper in a websearch of New York Red Bulls, was a generic MLS article from the online site northjersey.com, which is a combine of the Bergen Record and the old Passaic Herald-News:
https://www.northjer...les/2507595002/

USA Today now...

1TeamInNY

1TeamInNY

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, USWNT

What do people think about this website?
https://www.prosoccerusa.com

Of all the leagues I follow (nfl, mlb, nba, etc.), mls is the only one where I read their website daily. I also use sbionceametro and of course mertofanatic. I'm going to add prosoccerusa to my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,784 posts

of course mertofanatic.

Merto The Best, Ferto The Rest!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,784 posts

The Post has had a few stories so far this year

Human interest: https://nypost.com/2...impression=true

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

Not the same as coverage of a soccer game, but there has been media attention related to soccer in the college admission scandal. The Yale women's soccer coach was key to breaking open the scandal:

https://www.usatoday...ith/3160494002/

https://www.nytimes....r-meredith.html

https://www.courant....3dii-story.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users