• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

US to ban oil imports.

Will gas prices hit $5 per gallon?
Will the US economy enter a recession?
How much better would things be,
had the Keystone pipeline been completed?
https://en.m.wikiped...ystone_Pipeline

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

That would have caused other problems like polluting drinking water, create toxic waste and endanger the lives of the people who live near it. Creating a disaster to solve another disaster is not a solution. That is being reckless.

Plus, the price of gas and oil is done on the international market. Having the pipeline would not resolve the supply issue in europe which is driving up the costs.

This is a lesson that the US needs to produce their own energy (wind, solar..ect), improve the electric infrastructure and use boiler systems as a way to store it instead of batteries.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

That would have caused other problems like polluting drinking water, create toxic waste and endanger the lives of the people who live near it.

Nonsense. How many have died from Phases 1-3? 0

the price of gas and oil is done on the international market. Having the pipeline would not resolve the supply issue in europe which is driving up the costs.

Were the US self-sufficient, we could export to Europe & resolve their supply issues.

This is a lesson that the US needs to produce their own energy.

We are. Closing other options has hurt us.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Nonsense. How many have died from Phases 1-3? 0
Were the US self-sufficient, we could export to Europe & resolve their supply issues.

We are. Closing other options has hurt us.?

You do know that it has been proven that communities that have pipelines like the keystone pipeline have a history of getting leukemia.

The US is actually very self sufficient and could supply europe if they increase production. The issue with oil and natural gas is the transportation. It costs money which impacts the international price.

More investment is needed in green energy. The infrastructure in the us is shit when you compare it to other European or asian countries.

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

The U.S. exports more petroleum than it imports, 8.5 million barrels of oil per day vs. 7.9 million barrels of oil per day in 2020. The U.S. is a net exporter of 0.6 million barrels of oil per day. The U.S. imports about 0.5 million barrels of oil from Russia per day, which (checks the math) is less than our net export amount. I will let others speculate as to why the threat of cutting off such a small amount of our daily petroleum needs has such drastically affected the price at the pump.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The U.S. exports more petroleum than it imports, 8.5 million barrels of oil per day vs. 7.9 million barrels of oil per day in 2020. The U.S. is a net exporter of 0.6 million barrels of oil per day. The U.S. imports about 0.5 million barrels of oil from Russia per day, which (checks the math) is less than our net export amount. I will let others speculate as to why the threat of cutting off such a small amount of our daily petroleum needs has such drastically affected the price at the pump.

Its the global market.  Russia is the third largest producer in the world.    Pull that out of the market and demand globally outstrips supply.   We import a lot of oil, and now we have to import it from somewhere else, and other countries are already buying it from those somewhere else's.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

it has been proven that communities that have pipelines have a history of getting leukemia.

"Proven." Please! Gotta love these studies.
Most of the Keystone runs through sparsely populated areas. There are plenty of existing pipelines in heavily populated areas. Rip them out? Replace them with thousands of freight cars or tractor trailers?

The US is actually very self sufficient and could supply europe if they increase production.

Hold it! Werent you just against increases?

The issue with oil and natural gas is the transportation. It costs money which impacts the international price.

Pipeline or tanker is < the price of rail or truck.
Transport is a low expense, as is refining.
https://www.nj.com/p...ssman-says.html

More investment is needed in green energy.

More investment is needed in everything.
In a free market, money flows to the least expensive and most efficient & profitable. Subsidizing green is a political decision, not an economic one.
If European green infrastructure is so great, why are they crying about the potential loss of Russian gas & oil?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

In a free market, money flows to the least expensive and most efficient & profitable. Subsidizing green is a political decision, not an economic one.
If European green infrastructure is so great, why are they crying about the potential loss of Russian gas & oil?

You are smarter than both of these statements.

There are any number of investments that make financial sense for a government that wouldn't make sense for the private sector, especially when discussing infrastructure.

Europe could use half the petroleum we do on a per capita basis, as a result of their green infrastructure, but if what they use comes disproportionately from Russia, they would be concerned about the loss of it.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

There are any number of investments that make financial sense for a government that wouldn't make sense for the private sector, especially when discussing infrastructure.

Green energy is not necessarily one.
It is better for countries with no oil resources.

Europe could use half the petroleum we do on a per capita basis, as a result of their green infrastructure, but if what they use comes disproportionately from Russia, they would be concerned about the loss of it.

Lower oil usage predates green infrastructure.
Canada & Luxembourg use more per capita.
https://www.worldome...ion-by-country/
Perhaps our wealthy activists should stop driving gas guzzlers and flying in private jets.
BTW, NY & NJ are low on usage.
https://www.eia.gov/...ita.html&sid=US

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Perhaps our wealthy activists should stop driving gas guzzlers and flying in private jets.

Are celebrities on private jets who give lip service to climate change the really big problem here?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Are celebrities on private jets who give lip service to climate change the really big problem here?

There is no doubt that our military is a huge user and waster of energy & other resources.
Still, the hypocrisy of Gore, Kennedy, etc. astounds.
How about we ground our private jet fleet?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Green energy is not necessarily one.
It is better for countries with no oil resources.

Lower oil usage predates green infrastructure.
Canada & Luxembourg use more per capita.

Canada and Luxembourg?    Odd sample when it was Europe in discussion.  Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Denmark.....   all at half or less our per capita.

The jet setters are all hypocrites, but I'd wager their consumption is dwarfed by the obscenely thirsty and oversized trucks and SUVs  favored by the hyper patriotic red states.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"Proven." Please! Gotta love these studies.
Most of the Keystone runs through sparsely populated areas. There are plenty of existing pipelines in heavily populated areas. Rip them out? Replace them with thousands of freight cars or tractor trailers?
Hold it! Werent you just against increases?
Pipeline or tanker is < the price of rail or truck.
Transport is probably the least expense.

More investment is needed in everything.
If European green infrastructure is so great, why are they crying about the potential loss of Russian gas & oil

Hey MF - can we thread split pipeline debates? I'm game to discuss, but seems like this is going on too much of a tangent from Putin pretending it's 100 years ago. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Denmark.....   all at half or less our per capita.

Probably equal to our Northeast.

jet setters consumption is dwarfed by thirsty and oversized trucks and SUVs favored by red states.

Probably not on a per capita basis.
https://nationalcent...by-drew-johnso/

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Solar is cheaper than fossil fuels. We have ~ 3% penetration into the US housing market. Use government subsidies to get that number up to whatever. 50%? 75%?

It's an easy sell:

1. Solar is cheaper. You will save money on your electric bill in the long run if you install solar instead of getting your electricity entirely from fossil fuel sources.

2. It's a national defense issue. We can no longer be reliant on foreign oil. Be a proud American. Install solar.

3. It creates jobs.

As for more fracking or whatever I don't really care in the short term. If those resources can be 'turned on' quickly then do it so Americans don't suffer. But long term it is not the answer because it's more expensive.

If the future is automation then a major driving cost is energy. Whoever has the cheapest energy will have an advantage.

China has cheap energy and they are deploying a ton of nuclear in the next decade. We can't lose the energy war to China or anyone else for that matter.

Our energy needs are only going to get greater (How are we going to power all these electric cars?) Solar and wind (intermittent sources mind you) and fossil fuels won't be enough. We also need nuclear. SMR's. And we need them fast.

So:

1. Frack or whatever short term if needed. It's a national defense issue at this point. Just do it and phase it out in time.

2. Deploy solar to every home owner and business willing to do it. Provide incentives (lower cost should be enough but it won't be we all know that). Put solar farms wherever you can. Plug it all in.

3. Remove red tape so we can get SMR's tested. There are already a few companies in the market. Get the fucking government out of their way and get them up and running. Let the market take care of the rest.

4. Start informing the general public about advances in nuclear tech because public sentiment is the deal breaker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users