60 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

While the author may have an agenda, you can't deny that there is a noticable element who yearn to be English , mimicking scenes and lines from GSH and butchering classic English terrace anthems. It's especially sad when there is enough original ESC material to stand out from anything you see / have seen in England. ESC has about 250 more songs in their catalog than Everton, who's fan base is 110 years older. Less is cooler. Some people try too hard.

95% of soccer stories in the US for the masses always contain references to England and Soccer hooligans ... FACT

This may be a first. I agree with Harraby Lad.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

ESC has about 250 more songs in their catalog than Everton, who's fan base is 110 years older. Less is cooler. Some people try too hard.

95% of soccer stories in the US for the masses always contain references to England and Soccer hooligans ... FACT

Since when is "lesser cooler?"

2nd part is correct. That's not my fault, maybe similar languages have something to do with it.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

^^^

THANK god. Besides, I don't own any Doc Martens or purple polo shirts to tuck in (probably without a belt) while I beat people up. First of all, why is violence cool? Second of all, you're stealing from an English tradition. How is that cool? Third, you're doing mosh pits. If you need this kind of violence and confrontations on the weekends, you need to rethink your home life and how everything you've done went completely wrong. To get this worked up over Chris Leitch? Wow. Time to rethink.

Getting your jollies by going on a soccer message board to rile people up. Time to rethink.

Faux Fur & Soccer Shirts

Faux Fur & Soccer Shirts

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:" I love me some me" - Terrell Owens
  • Supports:RedBull New York
Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen (and any ladies that may be around) . . .

Was the article condescending? Of course it was!! It's the friggin' NEW YORK OBSERVER!!! That publication exists for no other reason than to teach the Manhattan set how and who they should be thumbing their noses at. It thrives on that crap. It was in the "Culture" section for gawdsakes! It was nothing more than a "look how the rif-raf carry themselves" piece. That's all. It was Jane Goodall studying the gorillas in the Congo. Had it been written for the Star-Ledger, it would have been totally different.

With that said, I enjoyed it...mainly, because I don't give a damn what Johnny Wall Street thinks about the boys in 101. In fact, I'm quite proud that the NYO saw ESC as so abnormal and stand-outish that it warranted a published article.

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal

Wow. You guys sound like assclowns. Really. Mosh pit? Wipeout? What year is this? No wonder security hates you. I would expect mosh pits from NFL fans and maybe NASCAR. Nobody cares about you.

This article is filled with hyperbole. I've never seen a mosh pit and I think the days of ESC being "a little dangerous" was back in 1998-2002. And as for Wipeout, it's mad fun! :)

At any rate, ESC has been, and probably will always be, the closest thing we'll get to true atmosphere in soccer. There's no painting faces Red with Bull horns on our head looking completely ridiculous and out of place. Red Bull Nation is lame. No singing, no chanting, no standing even! ESC is definitely the section with true football support. RECOGNIZE!

brownswan

brownswan

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Supports:Metro and USA

With that said, I enjoyed it...mainly, because I don't give a damn what Johnny Wall Street thinks about the boys in 101. In fact, I'm quite proud that the NYO saw ESC as so abnormal and stand-outish that it warranted a published article.

We should know by now that there is nothing worse than not being noticed.

We haven't been noticed for the last eleven years.

"Attention must be paid!"
-- Arthur Miller

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA

If you think its a Minor Threat type mosh pit, you're just plain silly.

Shit, I wish!

Red! I'm seeing Red! I'm seeing Red!

Anyway, the article was silly, what with the people going in and out of english accents, and that Corey, oh, i'm sorry, MR. Jamison, has become Ecuadorian all of a sudden. But at least they kept all the vulgarity in it!
I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

Metrito de mi vida

Metrito de mi vida

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
even the gringos root for Ecuador

natsteel

natsteel

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal FC

My point is that ESC as a supporters group rings about as true as naming an American soccer club Real Salt Lake. It also appears that it exists purely out of a desire to create confrontations.

huh?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
Forget it, he's rolling.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

Red Bull Nation is lame. No singing, no chanting, no standing even! ESC is definitely the section with true football support. RECOGNIZE!

They stand, they chant and they have one or two songs that they like.

WTF is true football support? I don't go to Jets and Giants games.

Can we please not have an elitest comparison between supporter's groups of our Club? It's fucking retarded to pick on each other when as a whole there's liberally about 500-600 of us total between the 4 groups. Why the hell would you pick on 500-600 people with the same like minded interest that you have in a metro area of nearly 20 million that don't give a shit about the same things we all feel passionate about?

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

RogerPhoto

RogerPhoto

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

It was honest.

He didnt stroke egos or blow smoke up asses, he was fairly spot on with the article.

I agree.

It's one article. Its author trys to tell one part of the truth. It uses a slant to get some attention, but it doesn't presume to know it all, or at least that's how it strikes me. I don't see what all the wimpering is about. People are in 101 for a lot of different reasons, and that's the way it's always gonna be. If you want purity of passion, there's always the nunnery.

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA

Forget it, he's rolling.

Beautiful. Animal House.
I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Red Bull Nation is lame.

Can we please not have an elitest comparison between supporter's groups of our Club?

No need to diss others. We catch enough ourselves.
BTW, aren't they now Raging Bull Nation? :unsure:

even the gringos root for Ecuador

... and who do we have to thank for this? :D

I agree.

Was the online photo the only one in the article? Too tight a shot to reveal an atmosphere, IMO.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroTard

MetroTard

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Supports:Eric D

They stand, they chant and they have one or two songs that they like.

WTF is true football support? I don't go to Jets and Giants games.
Can we please not have an elitest comparison between supporter's groups of our Club? It's fucking retarded to pick on each other when as a whole there's liberally about 500-600 of us total between the 4 groups. Why the hell would you pick on 500-600 people with the same like minded interest that you have in a metro area of nearly 20 million that don't give a shit about the same things we all feel passionate about?

Oh it's very easy. You should try it sometime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users