#1 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, MLS & USMNT

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

guess, as it's overall and not game specific should be given a thread on it's own.

Overalseen, all season long LA never seemed to fully click, had a best IX or X, but never an XI and tough I hoped they could pull it off, never really believed in it.

They don't need a complete rebuild, but at the very least a refresh and touch up.

GKs: Penedo, Rowe, Perk (?). Cudicini just takes $ + INT spot, has to go/retire. Depending on Perks health a new 3rd maybe

DFs: the G's have depth. Omar (post World Cup sale likely) aside, AJ, Opare, Leo, Meyer @CB. AJ, Sean @RB, Duni, Cochrane @LB

if AJ is RB, I see Sean (last year of expensive contract) as trade value, Meyer also, don't think anyone wants Leo sadly.

A gradual change from Dunivant to Cochrane @LB.

HG Sorto as RB back up.

No major change needed, just focus training mostly

MFs: Sarvas (MVP), Juninho (IMO disappointing season) are set, as for the rest, many ? Liked Jimenez (inconsistent), Garcia, Curtois (age) at times.

Zardes has potential, but upfront is LD, RK. So long term position change or trade value?

Rogers (no more benefit of doubt) could be very useful, but needs to produce. Franklin is no RM.

MFs needs already existed in prior years and with DB and MM departures got bigger. tough known by staff, Rogers, Willhelmson didn't yield the quality yet, what the team needs. IMO the main area of concern, change needed.

FWs: LD, RK are set, like McBean,was superb till injury.

He, Villareal and Zardes are talented, but need consistency and increasing end product.

What do you think?

Team needs, In's/Out's, transfer or trade wise (realistic, not fantasy please)

so overall evolution, instead of revolution, but a lot of work and concern in midfield.

#2 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

The main things I believe the Galaxy need for '14:  A guy who's great at set pieces, a playmaking midfielder, and at least one capable, ruthless, downright greedy finisher.  If they can be fewer than three players, so much the better, as long as we're not also talking about players on national teams that have qualified for Brazil.  I guess I'm wishing we had a time machine to retrieve 1998 Cienfuegos and 2002 Fish, although the physics and potential disruption to the time-line need to be resolved.

Rogers needs to spend the offseason practicing and conditioning like a motherfucker (fatherfucker?  Never mind), not to justify That Trade, as that dirigible has embarked and burst into flames, but to justify wearing a Galaxy kit.

Also, why is Cudicini still on our roster?  That makes me nervous.  Colin Clark has done nothing to justify continued employment with the Galaxy, either.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#3 TijuanaTim

TijuanaTim

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Supports:Southampton/LA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

Where to start? Good squad - best in MLS in my humble..... GK Pin'll do, Rowe and Perv er maybe. D. Won't state the obvious (good stuff)...Just Todd, nice bloke, has some inoffensive plaid shirts. Struggling to find much else good to say about him, has been a liability for a couple of seasons and we have done well despite him. Slow, poor tackling, cannot cross and spreads lack of confidence through the rest of the back four like wildfire. Contributes the (wait for it) square root of nothing. Opponents, show him no respect whatsoever and he always left open, positively encouraging others to pass him the ball. The whole MLS can see he is long past his 'sell-by' date, but Bruce can't. Gotta go Mid. Great in the center, we have no width CC, Hector, Loofah head and RR - you couldn't make a player out of the four pug together. The Rogers experiment was nog only the worst trade ever, but was also an on field disaster months ago....mind you he has nice hair. Zardes, he had a good game once and he tries hard....give any of us thirty odd starts and you could say the same about us FFS Up top. Keane is the best player in the MLS, maybe ever. Landon, now he is post sabbatical match fit is great. So where does the problem lie? I think in the coaches office, it needs a radical change of attitude and strategy (not necessarily staff) We are stale, it took us how long to realize Couldntcatchacinni was pants, we stuck with RR how many matches too long, we gave a miserably underachieving Zardes how many starts? We played Landon too much too early and it cost us the Champions League. We sat back and watched our gks distribution week in week out cost us and did not address it why? Some of the fans would even stay and shag balls if the coaches are too over worked. In summary we were complacent and one thing sums up our failure and yes it is failure, Bruce Arena's 'BLOODIMINDEDNESS', jut like his BLOODIMINDEDNESS cost the US dearly in the 2006 WC. I like the staff, they are good men and coaches, they (lead by Bruce) have to adapt, grow, progress and be much more flexible.

#4 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Today, the G's re-signed Dunivant and completed the deal for Baggio Husidic.  

We gained his rights from Colorado along with Mastroeni.  Husidic played several years in Chicago and the last two in Sweden.  It sounds like he's take over the midfield utility role from Mastroeni and Courtois.

With Todd coming back, the big sticking point seems to be re-signing Sarvas.  I think he's gained value by learning to play in MLS, but at 32, it's hard to see anywhere outside of MLS where he can put that value to use.  The Galaxy guys on the Twitter seem to think that a Sarvas deal is linked to getting Franklin to take a pay cut, or trading Sean to free up Space.  I think Franklin is our highest paid non-DP, and he's not providing that amount of value.

#5 TijuanaTim

TijuanaTim

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Supports:Southampton/LA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Todd and and doubt about Sean and Marcelo? How the fu€k is making these decisions. Sean is the best right back we've had in donkey's years and Sarvas is our MVP, whereas Todd is a load - a joke - a liability. Shakes head in disbelief.....

#6 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I've cursed Franklin's name far more than I've cursed Todd's.
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#7 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

I for one would be sorry to see Franklin go.  But if I had to choose between keeping him and keeping Sarvas, I'd pick Sarvas.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#8 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

Apparently, Franklin is still under contract, but next year is a club option.  Sarvas is completely out of contract.

Franklin will be 29 when we start next season - he is what he is.  He is still a good man marker, but loses shape too often.  His crossing of the ball seems to be getting worse - and whatever set of lenses Bruce uses that makes him see Sean as a midfielder seem to be the same ones he uses to evaluate Leonardo.

Sean at less money is good.  I think Sarvas was really the engine that made the team go this year.

That said - we need to get some younger guys in there.  If we bring back this year's lineup, we'll have five players 32 and older: Dunivant 33, Sarvas 32, Keane 34, Donovan 32, Penedo 32.  Juninho, AJ, Omar, Rogers and Sean are the middle age (at least for soccer): 25, 25, 25, 26, 20. 

We need to get the next generation onto the field.

#9 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

http://www.lagalaxy....ing-retool-2014

We can use another forward— probably more of a target forward to compliment the players that we have there,” Arena added. “We can use an experienced flank player, we can get better with our passing in the central midfield position and we can get a little bit better in the back as well. Although we have a good group there, we’d still like to get a little bit better if we can.”

#10 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

feel free to add

IN

Husidic

Resigned

Dunivant

Out of Contract

Sarvas

Franklin (team option)

OUT

#11 Johnny Chanclas

Johnny Chanclas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Futbol & Soccer
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, B&G, WBA, Atlas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Fraklins crossing and set piece finishing on both offensive and defensive sides need to be upgraded.
"If you are going to do something wrong, do it right."

#12 Johnny Chanclas

Johnny Chanclas

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Futbol & Soccer
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, B&G, WBA, Atlas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hopefully 2014 starts off with productive faces and no injuries...
"If you are going to do something wrong, do it right."

#13 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

LAGconfidental has a likely very accurate Roster overview (on all the out of contact, option players etc)

Franklin = team option

Jimenez = out of contract

Sarvas = out of contract

Mastroeni  = out of contract

Cudicini, Clark, Stephens and Curtois also likely either team options or out of contract.

#14 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Off all those player Jimenez is a affordable back up price wise, unless the G's have their sights on an acadmey player I guess.

I'd like if the could keep Sarvas if possible, but Franklin is too expensive to be AJs backup (the G's have Sorto) and honestly I don't see him as an RM at all, thus decent trade value (if it's him as a player or his player rights, depends on the contract negotiations).

As for the rest, too old, expensive, too bad or better alternatives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users