59 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
The apparent 'moneyball' approach they are taking, where they are opting out of signing players and instead promoting from within through the academy -- has that ever won championships anywhere?

If you look at MLS in recent years it's becoming more and more of a league where your level of success depends on the amount of money you spend, like everywhere else in the soccer world. Teams that spend lots of cash, like Atlanta, Los Angeles, Toronto, and Seattle are generally regarded as the better teams, and they have MLS Cups to show for it.

I'm not opposed to promoting academy players and giving them game time. I think it's great. But that can't be the only pipeline in terms of getting new faces on the roster, because the academy kids aren't skill players.

Royer (and to a lesser extent Kaku) are the only two players it seems on the first team that have the ability to generate quality chances and dribble around opponents 1v1. The academy kids are fine, but their collective skill level is way below what it needs to be.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The apparent 'moneyball' approach they are taking, where they are opting out of signing players and instead promoting from within through the academy -- has that ever won championships anywhere?

If you look at MLS in recent years it's becoming more and more of a league where your level of success depends on the amount of money you spend, like everywhere else in the soccer world. Teams that spend lots of cash, like Atlanta, Los Angeles, Toronto, and Seattle are generally regarded as the better teams, and they have MLS Cups to show for it.

I'm not opposed to promoting academy players and giving them game time. I think it's great. But that can't be the only pipeline in terms of getting new faces on the roster, because the academy kids aren't skill players.

Royer (and to a lesser extent Kaku) are the only two players it seems on the first team that have the ability to generate quality chances and dribble around opponents 1v1. The academy kids are fine, but their collective skill level is way below what it needs to be.

Didnt rbny win the supporters shield with this approach?

Isnt Philadelphia union, Montreal impact and Columbus crew in the top 5 in the eastern conference? They are not splashing money around.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Philly Union spent a lot to bring in Marco Fabian this year. not a coincidence they're 1st

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Didnt rbny win the supporters shield with this approach?

Isnt Philadelphia union, Montreal impact and Columbus crew in the top 5 in the eastern conference? They are not splashing money around.

I'm talking in regards to going all the way.

The Crew lost in the MLS Cup years ago, and the other two teams you mentioned never really have gone the distance in the postseason.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Philly Union spent a lot to bring in Marco Fabian this year. not a coincidence they're 1st

And they have done it without Fabian. Right now he looks like a bust.

I think they play better without him.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I've talked to a few people who have a lot of insight on the day-to-day elements.

From what I hear, Denis Hamlett has little to no connections and those that do meet with him say he has no business acumen. While many wanted to play for Marsch, the same excitement for playing for Armas isn't there.

Let's take a look at changes since July, when Marsch left:
* Signed Adreas Ivan, who had already been on trial while Jesse was here.
* Signed Brian White from the reserves
* Brought Abang back when he couldnt get anyone else to take him
* Traded within the league for Jean-Christophe Koffi
* Traded within the league for Amro Tarek
* Traded to move up in the waiver draft for Marcus Epps
* Signed academy prospect Omir Fernandez, who would have signed regardless of coach/sporting director
* Made trades to get more draft picks
* Mathias Jorgensen, who barely saw time in Scandanavia, and is now behind...
* Tom Barlow, signed from reserves

But wait, there is more. Let's look at our USL team.
* Outside of the draft picks and former academy players, we signed Elney. I dont think they said his name once yesterday in the USL match.
* Amarildo came from Red Bull Brasil.
* Oh Edgardo Rito and Miguel Silva? They share the same agent as Casseres Jr.

Step further - U23s.
Most of the U23s are strictly players recommended by current first team or USL team players, in addition to academy players.

Also, why are academy coaches leaving in record fashion? Hmmm....
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

I've talked to a few people who have a lot of insight on the day-to-day elements.

From what I hear, Denis Hamlett has little to no connections and those that do meet with him say he has no business acumen. While many wanted to play for Marsch, the same excitement for playing for Armas isn't there.

* Signed academy prospect Omir Fernandez, who would have signed regardless of coach/sporting director

* Outside of the draft picks and former academy players, we signed Elney. I dont think they said his name once yesterday in the USL match.

Step further - U23s.
Most of the U23s are strictly players recommended by current first team or USL team players, in addition to academy players.

Good thorough post. Would explain a lot. Not encouraging.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Step further - U23s.

Jeez, really shows how bad it is.

Whats the reasoning on academey coaches leaving in record fashion??

All this shows is we just dont have the ability to go out and get a MLS 4.0 level guy like a Nico Lodero or Ruiz

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Moneyball works when you're making Tyler Adamses, who became a DP level player for us at a fraction of the price. If our Belgian Soda Overloards are gonna be cheap on the transfer market, the academy is gonna need to give us more Tylers and less Bezecourts.

Any Adams-like gems in the works, or is the MLS media chatter that NYC has all the area's top prospects true?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Selling cans of piss?

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
RB staff jumping ship for imminent sale?

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Imminent sale? Doubtful.  I'm interested to see if RBG will feel forced to loosen their purse strings if the league makes substantial changes during the next CBA, particularly regarding salary spending / cap.  Heaven help the organization if NYCFC wins a Cup before the Red Bulls.  It would destroy us in the NY metro market.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

The Sporting Director oversees the academy. I'll leave it at that.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Imminent sale? Doubtful.  I'm interested to see if RBG will feel forced to loosen their purse strings if the league makes substantial changes during the next CBA, particularly regarding salary spending / cap.  Heaven help the organization if NYCFC wins a Cup before the Red Bulls.  It would destroy us in the NY metro market.

So true!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

No matter how knowledgeable and rational the conversation, there's always one knucklehead comment 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users