Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=41171

Have to agree with this.  I've been to a few USL games and have been very impressed with Abang.  In two years he could be a real terror.

Rooney22

Rooney22

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

Perfect example of why USLPro is so important. He'd be wasting away on the bench if it weren't in place. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I may be overly cynical, but so far everything I've seen from the kid is Andre Akpan pt. 2. Good enough finisher to score for the reserves, but his first touch is so bad that it makes him useless at a higher level. The "great skills, poor tactics" is also the exact line we heard about Obekop two years ago, so hopefully he improves quicker than his compatriot.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I may be overly cynical, but so far everything I've seen from the kid is Andre Akpan pt. 2. Good enough finisher to score for the reserves, but his first touch is so bad that it makes him useless at a higher level. The "great skills, poor tactics" is also the exact line we heard about Obekop two years ago, so hopefully he improves quicker than his compatriot.

Difference is Abang gets to play games at the USL level to improve, not the reserves.

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

may I ask what you want from an 18YO?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i'll agree that his touch is so-so.  i like what i've seen and i'm glad he gets real PT.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

There's kinda a 9 year gap in age. Its not at 27 where you know they won't get much better. He's 18.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

may I ask what you want from an 18YO?

From a 19 year old that's being touted as a guy who may be able to contribute in the near future? I want him to keep his first touch within a 5 yard radius of his body.

Like I said before, I'm being cynical, probably because this is literally the exact same report we got on Obekop two years ago and he's still barely cracking into the USL team. The comparison to Akpan was unfair though, forgot how much older he was.

If Abang can start making an impact this season, I'll gladly eat my own words, I just don't see it happening based on what he's shown so far.

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

From a 19 year old that's being touted as a guy who may be able to contribute in the near future? I want him to keep his first touch within a 5 yard radius of his body.

Like I said before, I'm being cynical, probably because this is literally the exact same report we got on Obekop two years ago and he's still barely cracking into the USL team. The comparison to Akpan was unfair though, forgot how much older he was.

If Abang can start making an impact this season, I'll gladly eat my own words, I just don't see it happening based on what he's shown so far.

Neither do I.   I also don't see many 18 or 19 YOs making an impact.  Jordan Allen was one of the best players in college as a 18 YO and barely saw the field for the first 2 years of is HG deal.

(half a year at both 18 and 19)

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Abbe Ibrahim, 2005, age 18 > Anatole Abang, 2015, age 18... and it's not even close.

Of course, Abbe's career pretty much crashed. So who knows what will happen with Abang.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams

The report on Obekop two years ago was that he had a long way to go. Abang is much closer to being ready to contribute regularly.

RedBullsFanatic

RedBullsFanatic

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
At the age of 18 Abang is very good. Nice scoring touch. He will only get better and I am happy with his development so far.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Like I said before, I'm being cynical

Hans Backe would approve

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Abbe Ibrahim, 2005, age 18 > Anatole Abang, 2015, age 18... and it's not even close.

Of course, Abbe's career pretty much crashed. So who knows what will happen with Abang.

Abbe Ibrahim was more of a well rounded player but he couldn't finish.  Abang is a very good finisher and is tearing up the USL.  I can see him being a solid MLS finisher in two years, however, like any young player, potential is only potential.  Nothing is guaranteed.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Abbe Ibrahim was more of a well rounded player but he couldn't finish.  Abang is a very good finisher and is tearing up the USL.  I can see him being a solid MLS finisher in two years, however, like any young player, potential is only potential.  Nothing is guaranteed.

Abbe had back-to-back 2-goal games in MLS reserve division at this time 10 years ago. But, sure.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users