72 replies to this topic

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
Even at the rate we spend, your not getting an impact player. Dont underestimate MLS.

1.5M euros is not getting an above average player out of a championship level league. Thellwell is not that savy.

Average to below average player in those leagues arent coming here to tear it up. We need to spend 3-5M to get some player that will have an impact.

This or go get some players ready to retire.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Even at the rate we spend, your not getting an impact player. Dont underestimate MLS.

1.5M euros is not getting an above average player out of a championship level league. Thellwell is not that savy.

Average to below average player in those leagues arent coming here to tear it up. We need to spend 3-5M to get some player that will have an impact.

You shouldnt speak in such absolutes

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Josef Martinez scored 7 goals in 58 Serie A appearances. He was straight up shit there.

He still cost Atlanta $5 million.

$1.5 million out of any decent league in Europe is getting you a project and nothing more.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Josef Martinez scored 7 goals in 58 Serie A appearances. He was straight up shit there.

He still cost Atlanta $5 million.

$1.5 million out of any decent league in Europe is getting you a project and nothing more.

I stated championship level league, not top flight.

If Josef was trash in serie B he most likely be trash here. I just dont think your getting a project out of top flight for 1.5M.

Being Atlanta paid 5M kinda proves my point. It just gives a sense on whether we should be excited about a signing or not.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
Overall, fishing for average to below average players in championship level league will get us nowhere. Its like signing an average player from MLS.

Otherwise just sign guys with focused needs.

Like sign an average player from serie B, but go sign a really fast player. Or get a really tall striker.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Overall, fishing for average to below average players in championship level league will get us nowhere. Its like signing an average player from MLS.

Otherwise just sign guys with focused needs.

Like sign an average player from serie B, but go sign a really fast player. Or get a really tall striker.

Lloyd Sam and BWP cost us a combined $0 in transfer fees. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

I stated championship level league, not top flight.

If Josef was trash in serie B he most likely be trash here. I just dont think your getting a project out of top flight for 1.5M.

Being Atlanta paid 5M kinda proves my point. It just gives a sense on whether we should be excited about a signing or not.

I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing lol, I totally agree. My point was that it's broader - clubs aren't getting any players worth shit in MLS out of a decent Euro league (Championship included) for $1.5 million.

Lloyd Sam and BWP cost us a combined $0 in transfer fees. 

The quality of player you can sign on a free transfer is higher than the quality of player that you can sign for low 7 figures.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

The quality of player you can sign on a free transfer is higher than the quality of player that you can sign for low 7 figures.

How the hell does that make any sense? Sam and BWP were better than the players teams had and could sell for $2 million, but they instead decided the keep the worse players, give up potential profit, and let those two leave for free? And if players available for free are better, why would a notoriously cheap as fuck RBNY spend millions on worse players instead?

The only free players who are "better quality" are the veteran superstars running out contracts and looking at a wind down chapter of their careers in MLS. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

How the hell does that make any sense? Sam and BWP were better than the players teams had and could sell for $2 million, but they instead decided the keep the worse players, give up potential profit, and let those two leave for free? And if players available for free are better, why would a notoriously cheap as fuck RBNY spend millions on worse players instead?

The only free players who are "better quality" are the veteran superstars running out contracts and looking at a wind down chapter of their careers in MLS. 

I knew someone was going to get mad about that statement.

Jurgen Damm just signed with Atlanta on a free transfer.
Sebastian Soto just signed with Norwich on a free transfer.
Victor Wanyama signed with Montreal on a free transfer.
Luciano Acosta left D.C. and signed with Atlas on a free transfer.
Saphir Taider signed with Montreal on a free transfer.
Andy Najar just signed with LAFC on a free transfer.
Cubo Torres just signed with Atlanta on a free transfer.

That's all in the last...6 months?

What players of that quality are MLS teams signing, particularly from Europe, for $1-2 million?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
I would have liked to have had Najar.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

That open letter to Thelwell was perfectly written. Well done as always metrofanatic.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

That open letter to Thelwell was perfectly written. Well done as always metrofanatic.

Does it matter, if it is ignored?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Arsenal14's point wasn't that free players are always better.  It's that there are a lot of free players who are better than anything you can get for 1-2M.

5-6M will get you a Kaku or maybe even Josef level player.  1-2M might get you something good, or it might get you Jorgensen.

If all we're going to spend is 1-2M this window, I would have rather taken Cubo Torres on a free in a heartbeat.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

Heaven forbid we have a rumor to dream on:
http://www.metrofana...team/rumors.jsp

My fingers are still crossed that we get George Weah

https://www.nytimes....metrostars.html

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

My fingers are still crossed that we get George Weah

https://www.nytimes....metrostars.html

This George Weah can be had on a free:

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.