Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Still need a starting right back.
If Duncan doesnt return (thinking this is unlikely) O'Vonte Mullings should get a look for minutes over Dylan Nealis and Cam Harper, but a veteran like Oniel Fisher (who was a U23 player for us once upon a time, now 31) might be a decent pickup to fill the position until Mullings is MLS ready. Fisher slowed down a bit but had some good years in Seattle and DC and can still get into the attack. Currently a free agent.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
They definitely need a RB, they make it seem like it is an impossible position to recruit for. Cant be Dylan Nealis, I would have been tempted to decline his option and let Mullings play backup but apparently we cant ruin the brother synergy.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Maybe they should go after the Israeli RB again, and the Ecuadoran LB. They can't be THAT expensive. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Still need a starting right back.
If Duncan doesnt return (thinking this is unlikely) O'Vonte Mullings should get a look for minutes over Dylan Nealis and Cam Harper, but a veteran like Oniel Fisher (who was a U23 player for us once upon a time, now 31) might be a decent pickup to fill the position until Mullings is MLS ready. Fisher slowed down a bit but had some good years in Seattle and DC and can still get into the attack. Currently a free agent.

They will continue to develop Harper as a sell on to one of their Euro teams or somewhere else.  Doubt they're concerned about that position as far as acquiring anyone.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

They will continue to develop Harper as a sell on to one of their Euro teams or somewhere else.  Doubt they're concerned about that position as far as acquiring anyone.

I don't think they would have brought back Duncan last year if that was truly their thought process, Harper was not yet injured at that time. I'd be shocked if they didn't make some move there this winter.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I don't think they would have brought back Duncan last year if that was truly their thought process, Harper was not yet injured at that time. I'd be shocked if they didn't make some move there this winter.

Harper was still a project in 2022, and we would need depth there either way with Edwards gone, so Duncan was a no brainer.   It wouldn't be out of character for them to promote Harper and bring on the next dev project behind him.   Harper isn't as good as Tolkin, but he improved enormously and we saw how quick they were to promote JRR after Gutman left, with no Plan B behind him.   That said, new regime, so maybe new philosophy there.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal
My tolerance for having Harper, mullings and nealis as our right backs depends on if they further supplement the midfield and/or attack. If our current forward group is what we are rolling with need a right back, left back and center back.

I like Harper a lot though. Its just if his body can stay fit

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

My tolerance for having Harper, mullings and nealis as our right backs depends on if they further supplement the midfield and/or attack. If our current forward group is what we are rolling with need a right back, left back and center back.

I like Harper a lot though. Its just if his body can stay fit

harper is great going forward. i get nervous when he has to defend. some of those yellow cards could have been red cards. he makes some bad tackles. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

harper is great going forward. i get nervous when he has to defend. some of those yellow cards could have been red cards. he makes some bad tackles. 

Agreed but that's easier to learn/coach than speed (obviously) and offensive acumen. I'm fine with leaning into the Harper experiment.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
The good news is that we dont have to. Not going to bank on a converted winger who cant stay healthy. Let Harper scrap for reserve minutes.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The good news is that we dont have to. Not going to bank on a converted winger who cant stay healthy. Let Harper scrap for reserve minutes.

Someone better would be great, I just would like Harper to be ahead of DNealis in the RB pecking order.

bkizoulis

bkizoulis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
We need a true starting rb. I dont think Harper the answer unless he improves his defense. I like mulling but I put him on the Harper boat of young,unknowns that have potential.
We should of signed the Israeli RB on a free but now he signed a new deal with dynamo Moscow.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

The team and Harper would be better with a proper RB, with Harper further upfield developing as the also-needed playmaking winger that could take pressure off Luqi & Morgan - if he stays.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Based on our CBs, I am expecting us to play with 5 in the back.

We will need wingbacks that push forward and create. Harper could do that but I would like us to get Tommy Thompson. He is currently a free agent. Like harper, he is great when he attacks. Defense has been an issue for him but he doesnt commit as many reckless tackles like Harper. I think the 5 in the back will highlight his strengths and hide his weaknesses. He can also provide service from set pieces.

Worst case scenario, Thompson can be the backup for tolkin if harper, mullins and. Nealis look decent.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Harper was still a project in 2022, and we would need depth there either way with Edwards gone, so Duncan was a no brainer.   It wouldn't be out of character for them to promote Harper and bring on the next dev project behind him.   Harper isn't as good as Tolkin, but he improved enormously and we saw how quick they were to promote JRR after Gutman left, with no Plan B behind him.   That said, new regime, so maybe new philosophy there.

Yeah this is just me spitballing but I'm working under the assumption that Harper is still in "project" status. Tolkin had 22 starts and 2,000+ minutes in 2021, and he looked damn good for most of 'em. Harper logged 6 starts and 700+ minutes last year, and didn't look quite as refined as Tolkin. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users