69 replies to this topic

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

I think we should all be a bit more patient with Etienne. He is getting in the right positions, and eventually he will start scoring.  Someone talked about BWP's first season here.  But let's not forget that some wanted him benched two seasons ago when he started the season terribly (I recall a game against KC where he had like 12 shots and no goal--and I think he went six games without a goal, or something like that.)  Maybe I am just too patient, I dunno.  

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
DE is being shuffled around right now and forced to play FWD since the last true back up fwds we had was luke rogers and kenny cooper.

veron was pissed away and wasted in a simmilar fashion

5 year plan

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Yep get rid of DE and Lade in fact jettison Davis and Tyler too lol
He is 21 a good player and needs more time in his best position

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

DE is being shuffled around right now and forced to play FWD since the last true back up fwds we had was luke rogers and kenny cooper.

veron was pissed away and wasted in a simmilar fashion

If his best position is out wide, then why has Muyl been getting so much time there?   It's not like we've been stacked in that position.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If his best position is out wide, then why has Muyl been getting so much time there?   It's not like we've been stacked in that position.

the staff doesnt realize hes a midfielder?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

So Etienne can't do anything when it comes to causing goals(scoring and assisting) as a forward, and we should expect that to happen in the midfield?  

Rapinoe has as many goals and 5 assists while usually playing deeper in the midfield.  Etienne, always much farther up the field has 1 assist.  This isn't a positioning thing.  IF he was good enough, he'd be causing more good plays regardless of position. Especially in this case because he's always in an attacking position. 

Put Moreno there and watch what he does compared to Etienne and Muyl.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

the staff doesnt realize hes a midfielder?

Marsch didnt. Armas has played him on the wing twice already, at DC and the second half against Columbus, so maybe he thinks differently.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Taxi and DE running wild on the left flank is something I'd like to see more off before writing him off.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

So Etienne can't do anything when it comes to causing goals(scoring and assisting) as a forward, and we should expect that to happen in the midfield?  

Rapinoe has as many goals and 5 assists while usually playing deeper in the midfield.  Etienne, always much farther up the field has 1 assist.  This isn't a positioning thing.  IF he was good enough, he'd be causing more good plays regardless of position. Especially in this case because he's always in an attacking position. 

Agree Moreno should be given a shot, but Etienne has played well in his (very) limited minutes on the wing this season.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Why are you comparing Etienne/Muyl to Rza/Royer? (You brought up Muyl/Royer yesterday, just slightly conflating convos) Completely different age/salary brackets, and DE7/Muyl aren't really competing for Royer/Rza's spots. They are competing with each other and Ivan (and maybe Beze?)., and Valot who was beating out all of them before the injury. 

Moreno/Etienne/Muyl is a more apt comparison. I have no idea there.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Why are you comparing Etienne/Muyl to Rza/Royer? (You brought up Muyl/Royer yesterday, just slightly conflating convos) Completely different age/salary brackets, and DE7/Muyl aren't really competing for Royer/Rza's spots. They are competing with each other and Ivan (and maybe Beze?)., and Valot who was beating out all of them before the injury. 

Moreno/Etienne/Muyl is a more apt comparison. I have no idea there.

The point is that good offensive players find ways to involve themselves directly with goals whether scoring or assisting.  Some people are saying that Etienne is just being played out of position as if that's going to cause more of an offensive output and I don't agree with that at all.   Etienne is an attacking player that doesn't score or cause goals and that's a huge problem.  And he's not snakebitten either because his xG is right in line with what he's given us. 

Ultimately just not a fan.  I've seen enough over enough years.  And I know he doesn't get consistent games but I'll never be a fan of the concept of giving guys minutes even though there hasn't been production with the minutes they've gotten.

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Speaking of a striker sub...didn't Muyl player striker in college? He must have goals in him somehow. I could see him being a huge nuisance to the center backs.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Speaking of a striker sub...didn't Muyl player striker in college? He must have goals in him somehow. I could see him being a huge nuisance to the center backs.

Don't think so. Kutler did though. More of a withdrawn forward than a BWP type, but a forward nonetheless.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

speaking of garbage finishing...

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Etienne is an attacking player that doesn't score or cause goals and that's a huge problem. Ultimately just not a fan.  I've seen enough over enough years.  And I know he doesn't get consistent games but I'll never be a fan of the concept of giving guys minutes even though there hasn't been production with the minutes they've gotten.

IMO, there is no hate for DE. Some of us just remember what a Haitian hero is capable of doing:
http://metrofanatic....ayer.jsp?ID=178

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users