284 replies to this topic

#1 Section 18 Hooligan

Section 18 Hooligan

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

Recently it has come to our attention that certain individuals are attempting to appropriate the name and brand of the LA Riot Squad. We have retained counsel on the matter and we are actively working towards a resolve on the matter.

Please know that we will continue to offer the high quality products and designs that are expected and have become synonymous with the LA Riot Squad.

#2 strafling

strafling

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Beer, women, Soccer...not necessarily in that order.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

Recently it has come to our attention that certain individuals are taking legal steps in an attempt to appropriate the name and brand of the LA Riot Squad. We have retained counsel on the matter and we are actively working towards resolving the matter.

Please know that we will continue to offer the high quality products and designs that are expected and have become synonymous with the LA Riot Squad.

S18H,

Thank you!

Sträfling

Prost :cheers:

#3 BARON DE BELTER

BARON DE BELTER

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Supports:LFC, DFB, WINGS

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

What individuals, is someone trying to steal the name?
HIKING METAL PUNX

#4 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

Time to call Joe Escalante.

but seriously, folks - I'm sure we have a qualified attorney in our midst. But if not, I may know some people who could help (possibly)

#5 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Interests:The game. It's history, it's personalities, it's rivalries.
  • Supports:Liverpool, Eintracht, Distillery

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

...is someone trying to steal the name?

They're trying to hijack the whole mess - lock, stock, and gas mask.
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#6 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

What individuals, is someone trying to steal the name?

Yes, exactly.

Not a lawyer, but it's a pretty straightfoward case of intellectual property theft. I'm just glad it was caught in time to do something about it.

#7 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

I think I have a reputation for being a gadfly, and it is, if only partially, true. If I offend, I apologize. What I say here, I mean sincerely and without sarcasm or irony.

It is a very good idea to organize an ownership of the things that identify what the LA Riot Squad are and keep track of the rights to use said items. It's only common sense.

Further, I think it is important to explain who 'we' is. Does 'we' include me? Does 'we' not include some other people who show in support of the Galaxy for games? It may seem obvious, but it's not.

Also, I love the designs you have made for the Riot Squad, Gunner {Edit:}and S18Hooligan. I own a couple of both varieties, people always ask about them, and my family keeps bugging me to get them shirts. I also had a scarf until I gave it to the kid who tried out for the Galaxy last summer with Kevin Payne. As the post that starts this thread implies, your design work is clearly the spear tip for the visual identity of what is identified as LARS.

But I think there is room for not only more stuff, shirts hats scarves warmups etc. but also for more 'ideas', designs and images. Why not let people do what they want and let the law of supply and demand naturally select for success? If they rule, they succeed and become legendary. If they suck, they will vanish.

Keeping track of LARS as an intellectual property is key, yet doesn't that necessitate some sort of...I can't even say the word, but you know what I mean.

Again, the questions and statements are asked without intending to offend, but with the intent to discuss.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#8 Chalky

Chalky

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

Interesting that the people invloved have been around a year at most and did it on the down low. Interesting indeed.

#9 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

Aww, c'mon - can someone at least let the cat out of the bag and tell us who did what where and with with what weapon? That way we start real hum-dinger of a thread castigating them?

#10 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

Further, I think it is important to explain who 'we' is. Does 'we' include me? Does 'we' not include some other people who show in support of the Galaxy for games?

If you have to ask, it isn't you.

#11 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

Question: Is this website the work of LARS or the work of the unmentionable?

#12 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

If you have to ask, it isn't you.

No shit...but who is it?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#13 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Interests:The game. It's history, it's personalities, it's rivalries.
  • Supports:Liverpool, Eintracht, Distillery

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

Question: Is this website the work of LARS or the work of the unmentionable?

Hint: Have you ever heard of the 'Riot Squad Clothing Co.'?

Buck, the problem with letting anyone make any shirts, scarves, etc. that they want is 'brand dilution'. Since the beginning LARS has cultivated a certain look. That look has been more or less Gunner's domain and rightly so.

Why would the creators and others who've sunk so much effort into the Squad want to see embarassingly half-assed products with LARS stamped on them?

There is certainly room (and demand) for more LARS gear, but as I've said before, it should be at least approved by - if not designed by Gunner.

More 'official' LARS gear is in the works and will soon be available on the 'official' site.

But this is for another thread. This thread is dedicated to 'people attempting to take something that isn't theirs'. What's the word I'm thinking of?
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#14 TommyMack

TommyMack

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

Gen.Buck, you have a valid question that should be discussed at the appropriate time and in an appropriate forum.

This thread is about a very specific situation that is a bit more advanced and deliberate than "the common creativity of LARS".

Tommy Mack

#15 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

HEY! Those aren't Leora's boobs! Who the fuck are those guys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users