116 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

If you think this could happen then you should expect half of the ownership groups in MLS to be booted.

None of the other teams are in markets as big as Red Bull.

I don't think the league is just going to sit around and do nothing if Red Bull starts drawing Chivas numbers.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

... and it woud of happen if they benched murillo and co.

Btw.. let us know when you provide a useful comment

Armas DID bench Murillo and Lade. He went with the youth choice, exactly as you asked for.

That youth choice was Buckmaster, who was worse than both of the guys he replaced.

Its really easy to say "how much worse can it get?" when you're talking about struggling players, but the reality is that it can often get a whole lot worse! That's why most of the other guys were reserves in the first place.

jp917

jp917

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Armas DID bench Murillo and Lade. He went with the youth choice, exactly as you asked for.

That youth choice was Buckmaster, who was worse than both of the guys he replaced.

Its really easy to say "how much worse can it get?" when you're talking about struggling players, but the reality is that it can often get a whole lot worse! That's why most of the other guys were reserves in the first place.

But Armas said Buckmaster is a shutdown defender!

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So tired of the MLS may step in and take the team from ownership argument. Its like you have never watched a sport. Is MLB taking the team away from Marlins ownership? Padres? NFL take the team away from Browns owners? NBA from the colossal joke that the Knicks have been? The Red Bulls have been consistently one of the best teams in MLS. From development to on the field success. They had ONE really poor season where the team made the playoffs and almost (should have!) pulled off a first round upset. You guys are absolute fools thinking MLS is sitting there saying, ya know we really need to change whats going on with the freaking Support Shield winners from 2 years ago! Insane!

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

So tired of the MLS may step in and take the team from ownership argument. Its like you have never watched a sport. Is MLB taking the team away from Marlins ownership? Padres? NFL take the team away from Browns owners? NBA from the colossal joke that the Knicks have been? The Red Bulls have been consistently one of the best teams in MLS. From development to on the field success. They had ONE really poor season where the team made the playoffs and almost (should have!) pulled off a first round upset. You guys are absolute fools thinking MLS is sitting there saying, ya know we really need to change whats going on with the freaking Support Shield winners from 2 years ago! Insane!

No one is saying that.

We've all been speaking in hypotheticals. IF Red Bull attendance dwindles to nothing...IF they become a full-fledged farm team...IF they make the league look bad in a major market...could the league step in? Those are all IFs. Nobody is saying Garber should swoop in right now.

The Knicks may be a joke but they draw packed houses and get ratings. They aren't a problem.

A team in a fringe sport trying to grow that isn't drawing ratings whether in person or on TV -- could that be a problem? It might be depending on how this all plays out.

And I'm sure the MLB would have moved the Marlins by now had they not built that new stadium.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Really? You think a league desperately trying to drum up ownership groups to expand the league at a ridiculous rate would want to step in and take a franchise from ownership? Id love to see how they explain that to prospective owners. That concept completely diminishes the leagues value. A league that is surviving right now entirely based on a pyramid scheme hoping that once they have enough markets covered the league will finally be profitable.

Youre speaking in hypotheticals, but its also embarrassingly stupid. But this is the drivel people find to talk about in mid-January for MLS.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,203 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

reality is that it can often get a whole lot worse!

I suppose that I could have replied along these lines.
But I preferred the ad hominem attack at that moment.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

That's the thing; there's literally no incentive for RBG to spend more.  They invested in the stadium, they invested in big stars like TH14 and Rafa. Go back and look at highlight videos from the TH14 era. We bitch about attendance now, but from the eyeball test, it was much worse back then, even with the stars and the stadium. They cut down on big star spending and we still won 2 shields and were competitive enough.  They also got brand exposure via Concacaf Champions League.

What would spending now do for them that wasn't accomplished by spending back then? There is no financial incentive to winning an MLS Cup. I don't think the league generates enough broadcast revenue for the team to say "you know what, let me drop an extra $10M on transfer fees so that I can win MLS Cup", because at the end of the day - they will just be out those $10M.  It's pretty clear that their focus now is to go full Salzburg - get young, cheap players, and flip them for a profit.  Not to buy a $10M young South American player to flip. Certainly not to buy a 30+ year old international player so that we can win a cup. 

The problem seems to be that people are conflating "Red Bull" the global brand, and "Red Bull New York".  Yes $10M is a rounding error to "Red Bull" the global brand, but in the real world, it doesn't work that way. "Red Bull New York" has its own budgets, targets, metrics, etc. to hit. And $10M is in fact a big deal for them. If the $10M won't get them a financial return, they won't spend it just to placate our dwindling fan base. 

There's a wide range of players between 0 dollars and 10M young South Americans. I'm just saying get more Kakus and, hell, more Verons and Jorgensens at 1-2-3M a pop. You're way more likely to profit on a guy like that with a lot of upside (even if some obviously flop) than an Alex Muyl. Murillo/Taxi/CCJ are more examples of success stories - keep getting more of those guys. The recent pace of 0-1 high upside signings a year won't cut it.

Salzburg is the perfect model, in fact! They've sold players for over 100M in the past 5 years, but they've presumably recruited from beyond the Salzburg neighborhoods where their GM has friends or relatives.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Were swimming in MLS funny $$$ like Montgomery Burns. Its a dereliction of duty to not use it.

You cant fool NY fans into thinking you are actually serious about winning with this current squad and investment.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,627 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

You cant fool [most] NY fans into thinking you are actually serious about winning with this current squad and investment.

Had to fix that, your post was slightly innaccurate, but 95% on the money. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Were swimming in MLS funny $$$ like Montgomery Burns. Its a dereliction of duty to not use it.

You cant fool NY fans into thinking you are actually serious about winning with this current squad and investment.

thats the part of that pisses me off the most.  I get that you got your new scouting system finally in place so it may take a bit of time for the international signings.  But you can't pull off another trade like the Tim Parker move with all the allocation we have?

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

thats the part of that pisses me off the most.  I get that you got your new scouting system finally in place so it may take a bit of time for the international signings.  But you can't pull off another trade like the Tim Parker move with all the allocation we have?

Tim Parker wanted to come back to the NY area. It was a player-initiated trade. Otherwise, Vancouver would not have gotten anything when his contract ran out.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users