• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,912 posts

is this the quiteist (sp?) off season?  I know it feels like it.

Mark on Seeing Red mentioned that press are not allowed at training facility.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

is this the quiteist (sp?) off season?  I know it feels like it.
Mark on Seeing Red mentioned that press are not allowed at training facility.  

BWP doing laps to get in game shape

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Supports:New York

Also, MLS Extratime this week talked about Long being a free agent at the end of this year. If he goes to the WC, starts & plays well, he could maybe swing a late-career transfer to Europe. If not, he could get Walker Zimmerman money from another team looking to sign a big time CB. There's a chance he comes back, but I tend to doubt it. I feel like this is the last year he's here, unless we back up the truck to keep him, which has not exactly been our identity with 30ish year old team captains. 

Whatever happens, I wish him the best, he's been a great player for us. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

There's a chance he comes back, but I tend to doubt it.

Jettisoning captains has become a tradition.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

LA Galaxy make perfect sense for him. They haven't gotten that defense right since the Omar days.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Supports:New York

Jettisoning captains has become a tradition.

Cue Jim Nantz..... :P 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

No chance he is here next season. As we've seen, a 30 year old captain is never gonna get re-signed by this club lol.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

No chance he is here next season. As we've seen, a 30 year old captain is never gonna get re-signed by this club lol.

Thelwell is gone now thankfully, so there is a chance...

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I don't see a path that ALo is back with us next year. He'll either latch on with an EPL team (if he has a lights out world cup) or else he'll get a bigger payday at another team in MLS.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

After last night, I do not think there is any chance Long sticks around.  He clearly seemed frustrated playing with a bunch of young and inexperienced players that can't handle big moments.  I imagine the guy either wants to get a big payday or play on a team that is actually trying to be a top team and compete for trophies.  Unless the guy and his wife are absolutely in love with the Garden State, I see no reason for him to stay.  I would imagine he is in very much the same place Davis was last year when he decided to jump ship.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Or maybe he was just frustrated to lose. Not everything has to be a body language reading exercise. 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

After last night, I do not think there is any chance Long sticks around.  He clearly seemed frustrated playing with a bunch of young and inexperienced players that can't handle big moments.  I imagine the guy either wants to get a big payday or play on a team that is actually trying to be a top team and compete for trophies.  Unless the guy and his wife are absolutely in love with the Garden State, I see no reason for him to stay.  I would imagine he is in very much the same place Davis was last year when he decided to jump ship.

Knowing RB, they prob dont want to pay him $1MM anymore either. I agree there is a 99% chance he leaves when a free agent and, frankly, that makes me happy. Hopefully he gets out of MLS and gets to Europe. 

The guy's career trajectory is one of Marsch's biggest achievements in his playing and coaching to date, I'd say. 

I'll root for him where ever he goes.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Meh, I doubt last night has much bearing on Longs next move. You could argue if we won the Open Cup hed feel good about moving on bc he won a Cup here. Hell move for salary or maybe the challenge of a new league or maybe he wants to go back to Cali. I doubt he stays bc I doubt RB will be competitive salary wise.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Knowing RB, they prob dont want to pay him $1MM anymore either. I agree there is a 99% chance he leaves when a free agent and, frankly, that makes me happy. Hopefully he gets out of MLS and gets to Europe. 

The guy's career trajectory is one of Marsch's biggest achievements in his playing and coaching to date, I'd say. 

Idk what Long wants but I disagree with this logic completely. They turned down like an $8M offer, no? Replacing him probably will cost way more than his salary.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Philly? DC? City?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users