155 replies to this topic

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Home | New York Cosmos (nycosmos.com)

This is what I have always thought will happen - how much did what's-his-face want for rights to the name? 

I'm a fan of Metro SC, but that video entry reel on the website is really worth something. People still know Pele.   

Not happening. Rocco Commisso owns the Cosmos and has essentially shut them down with no clue as to where and when they might resume play. He is against closed leagues, has sued MLS and USSF, and is busy running Fiorentina. He isnt buying RBNY, so someone else would have to purchase the franchise and then still have to purchase the Cosmos brand from Commisso. Why do that when Metro and Gotham are perfectly fine names? Nobody under age 50 knows Pele except via YouTube. This MLS club would gain a lot more goodwill rebranding as Metro SC than Cosmos in my opinion. I for one wont support a Cosmos rebrand. Ill move on and support some lower division club.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Not gonna wish death on the guy but would love for us to get a complete rebrand so we can finally move on from all the Red Bull stuff.

At least when our attendance still sucks people can't use the excuse about the teams name anymore lol

I'd be pretty happy if the Devils owners bought the team. At least they would keep the colors and probably come up with a decent name(I hope lol)

Devils ownership just bought RSL last year unfortunately.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Not gonna wish death on the guy but would love for us to get a complete rebrand so we can finally move on from all the Red Bull stuff.

At least when our attendance still sucks people can't use the excuse about the teams name anymore lol

I'd be pretty happy if the Devils owners bought the team. At least they would keep the colors and probably come up with a decent name(I hope lol)

the rebrand name is east its metro 96 can even throw an Fc sc in if you please can even keep the Red Bulls as a sponsor if they do choose

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

the rebrand name is east its metro 96 can even throw an Fc sc in if you please can even keep the Red Bulls as a sponsor if they do choose

Yup. Metropolitan SC. Nickname: The Metros.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • Supports:Metro, NYRBII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Not happening. Rocco Commisso owns the Cosmos and has essentially shut them down with no clue as to where and when they might resume play. He is against closed leagues, has sued MLS and USSF, and is busy running Fiorentina. He isnt buying RBNY, so someone else would have to purchase the franchise and then still have to purchase the Cosmos brand from Commisso. Why do that when Metro and Gotham are perfectly fine names? Nobody under age 50 knows Pele except via YouTube. This MLS club would gain a lot more goodwill rebranding as Metro SC than Cosmos in my opinion. I for one wont support a Cosmos rebrand. Ill move on and support some lower division club.

Rocco was close to buying the Red Bulls a few years ago right before buying Fiorentina. Garber was involved with the terms. Yes, there are the lawsuits but those vanish quickly at that level.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,664 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

jfc

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Rocco was close to buying the Red Bulls a few years ago right before buying Fiorentina. Garber was involved with the terms. Yes, there are the lawsuits but those vanish quickly at that level.

Close to buying them? Evidence? I doubt it was ever more than a very unlikely rumor.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Just an aside, from a human perspective, hopefully the dude's ok.... 

Also, Henry, JPA, Cahill, Rafa (if crappy), Reyna, Kaku, Veron were all brought in and presumably signed off by him.... Stadium built....

Not saying he treated this team like the jewel it should be, but the team might still be playing in the meadowlands if RB hadn't come aboard.  

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,141 posts

Absolutely.  Not all negative for sure.  Several meaningful trophies and always competitive during the season.  Just need to take a step up in the spend world. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,601 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Just an aside, from a human perspective, hopefully the dude's ok.... 

Also, Henry, JPA, Cahill, Rafa (if crappy), Reyna, Kaku, Veron were all brought in and presumably signed off by him.... Stadium built....

Not saying he treated this team like the jewel it should be, but the team might still be playing in the meadowlands if RB hadn't come aboard.  

If he never rebranded the team, I think he would be looked back upon a lot more fondly.  At least until Marsch left, we've been adrift since the 2018 season concluded.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,191 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Stadium built.... the team might still be playing in the meadowlands if RB hadn't come aboard. 

Ground-breaking occurred a year before RB bought the club and AEG was committed to building the stadium.
https://en.m.wikiped...ena_(New_Jersey)

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

iirc, AEG wanted a stadium that would also work as a concert venue and RB improved / homogenized the design.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • Supports:Metro, NYRBII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Close to buying them? Evidence? I doubt it was ever more than a very unlikely rumor.

Jack Bell, Pablo Maurer, Christian Araos, also someone that at the time was the best in the biz at getting the scoop who had a heck of a lot more detail but not sure if he ever shared publicly so dont want to drop his name, Cosmos employees higher up, a couple buddies of mine I worked with while with Metro that were in MLS HQ.

Red Bulls had a price and didn't budge, Fiorentina went for pretty much half the price.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,191 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Red Bulls had a price and didn't budge, Fiorentina went for pretty much half the price.

So, the choice wasn't difficult.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Jack Bell, Pablo Maurer, Christian Araos, also someone that at the time was the best in the biz at getting the scoop who had a heck of a lot more detail but not sure if he ever shared publicly so dont want to drop his name, Cosmos employees higher up, a couple buddies of mine I worked with while with Metro that were in MLS HQ.

How close was it if he never was going hit Red Bull proce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users