27 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,601 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Marsch left NY in July 2018. Tanner left Salzburg for Philly in August 2018.  Philly has finished 3rd, 1st, 2nd, & 1st in the East in Tanners first four full seasons with the Union. They finished 8th & 6th the two years prior to his appointment.

During that same period, we had Hamlett then Thelwell then nobody then Schneider and weve finished 6th, 6th, 7th, & 4th in the East.

For my money, this might be the biggest miss of Red Bull tenure so far.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

Marsch left NY in July 2018. Tanner left Salzburg for Philly in August 2018. Philly has finished 3rd, 1st, 2nd, & 1st in the East in Tanners first four full seasons with the Union. They finished 8th & 6th the two years prior to his appointment.

During that same period, we had Hamlett then Thelwell then nobody then Schneider and weve finished 6th, 6th, 7th, & 4th in the East.

agree.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Marsch left NY in July 2018. Tanner left Salzburg for Philly in August 2018. Philly has finished 3rd, 1st, 2nd, & 1st in the East in Tanners first four full seasons with the Union. They finished 8th & 6th the two years prior to his appointment.

a major fork in the road moment.  The best RBS import to MLS not even with us.  And is transfermarkt right that they also snagged our former chief scout in 2019?  Man this guy was probably laughing when we purchased Jorgy after he left

https://www.transfer...l/trainer/59266

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

agree.  

does anyone know if they every had discussions with Tanner?

maybe to create Head of Sport role?

or since they had Hamlett/Jesse in that role for 2017/2018 they thought everything was fine.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
We should steal him from philly. He is the top GM in MLS.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

Cant imagine this club being super attractive to talented executives looking to advance their careers.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,953 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Cant imagine this club being super attractive to talented executives looking to advance their careers.

Less than Philly???

Thelwell found it worthwhile.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

All this talk of RB wanting to improve is putting the cart before the horse.  Who says RB has any interest in improving the kind of talent they possess?  It is their interest to put in a competitive system with competitive talent. Period.  That's why Hamlett has lasted so long.  Pure and simple.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,141 posts

Meh, there's definitely an interest in producing talents that can be sold.  

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,459 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The current optics are kind of the opposite - that we're actually nothing more than a stepping stone for talented execs to advance their career in Europe through the Red Bull pipeline. 

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Supports:Metro

a major fork in the road moment.  The best RBS import to MLS not even with us.  And is transfermarkt right that they also snagged our former chief scout in 2019?  Man this guy was probably laughing when we purchased Jorgy after he left

https://www.transfer...l/trainer/59266

that scout was fired for reportedly leaking internal Salzburg Leipzig scouting data/passwords etc

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,601 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

That's why Hamlett has lasted so long.

Should Hamlett have a job?  Probably not, but he hasn't been in charge for a long time.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts
https://www.mlssocce...nt-to-mls-elite

sounds like he was there for the taking but had already met Philly minority owner years ago.

The German-born 57-year-old left behind a career in Europe to take charge of the Union technical staff in 2018. Wanting to experience a new country and league, he was attracted to the idea of MLS, navigating a salary cap and relative parity, as well as building a project in Philly.

Also, he thinks the parity is great because then he can compete on a semi level playing field.
“That was one of the reasons I thought it was good to go here: If you do your job right, you can be successful,” Tanner said. “Here, you can win. To be honest, I like winning. A lot.”

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

he has low and relatively high for the club covered

Tanner quickly made a name with value signings, like Kacper Przybylko (free agent) and Kai Wagner (around $200k from Germany). Over the next few seasons, Jose Martinez ($325k from Venezuela), Jakob Glesnes ($375k from Norway) and Leon Flach ($200k from Germany) all arrived. Those signings involved different levels of the European market, not necessarily brand-name teams.

The Union also broke their own incoming transfer record a few times, with Mikael Uhre (from Brøndby in Denmark) and Daniel Gazdag (from Honvéd in Hungary) leading the attack heading into MLS Cup, as well as Julian Carranza (trade/transfer with Inter Miami CF). Players of Uhre and Gazdag’s profiles have historically gone elsewhere in Europe. These days, it’s commonplace for MLS to be a real option.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

The current optics are kind of the opposite - that we're actually nothing more than a stepping stone for talented execs to advance their career in Europe through the Red Bull pipeline. 

Not saying were not that, but unlike Philly we're a failing club with a dwindling fanbase and a completely uninterested owner. Not exactly an easy set up to succeed and impress Europeean clubs from.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users