• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

I don't think it is odd at all that they've invested heavily in the academy and not into the first team.

We are a feeder club - their mentality is that we can groom home-grown players, compete in MLS with a low payroll and produce some studs to move to their other teams or sell-on.

Now, that worked for a few years. We won some SS and made an Open Cup run. But at the end of the day, when push came to shove and teams played us differently -we were shut down in the playoffs over and over again. What would have additional investment have done last year? 

It feels like our time has passed. Adams was our best player and he's gone - he was a generational talent -  how many times is a player like that really going to come around? And even when he does, he'll be gone in a year or two. Now, you have clubs like LAFC and ATL and to a certain extent LAG and TFC that are investing heavily into their first teams...we just can't keep up. Blame Armas - and he deserves quite a bit of it, but blame our FO - everyone moved forward, we went backwards.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

https://rbnn.us/2019...dency-part-iii/

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I don't think it is odd at all that they've invested heavily in the academy and not into the first team.

We are a feeder club - their mentality is that we can groom home-grown players, compete in MLS with a low payroll and produce some studs to move to their other teams or sell-on.

Now, that worked for a few years. We won some SS and made an Open Cup run. But at the end of the day, when push came to shove and teams played us differently -we were shut down in the playoffs over and over again. What would have additional investment have done last year? 

It feels like our time has passed. Adams was our best player and he's gone - he was a generational talent -  how many times is a player like that really going to come around? And even when he does, he'll be gone in a year or two. Now, you have clubs like LAFC and ATL and to a certain extent LAG and TFC that are investing heavily into their first teams...we just can't keep up. Blame Armas - and he deserves quite a bit of it, but blame our FO - everyone moved forward, we went backwards.  

Most people on reddit and the like would just say that losing our best young players to Europe is normal anyway in MLS and that for us, having our players have a pathway to Leipzig should be enticing.

Personally, I agree BUT I do think then if that is the case, then treat us like you do the other RB teams. The other RB teams spend more than us but not a lot relative to other big teams near them... they scout very well across Europe and get some great young players. I wouldn't mind if New York was that stop for some of the best upcoming youth.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

It feels like our time has passed.

I think that our shrinking fan base shares this opinion.

everyone moved forward, we went backwards.  

Or, we stayed the same, while others changed.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

everyone moved forward, we went backwards.  

definitely feels that way. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
In Barcelona now for vacation and Barca tv was showing 08-09 highlights. Henry was starting at Left fwd and looking nice with rumblings of him comming to NY to RB at that time ...RBA was being built. (Hell even rafa looked good too....cant blame RB for gambling on him )

The future looked so bright during that time.

Shit is soo stale now

5 year plan

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Without Red Bull's investment in 2006, would MLS even be here today?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Here is the thing... leipzig and Salzburg are also feeder clubs.

They are constantly selling their players to other clubs. If rbny can match the sales and youth development of Salzburg then we will be okay. Salzburg made 80m in sales, replaced many of these guys with youth players, and are doing a great job in the champions and Austrian league.

As a USMNT fan, this is great and i hope RBNY can match Salzburg's production.

If rb had to do it over again, i dont see why they wouldnt. Dont they make money off the events that occur at the arena?

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Dont they make money off the events that occur at the arena?

They don't even own the arena AFAIK but what events? Random friendly soccer game?

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Without Red Bull's investment in 2006, would MLS even be here today?

Yes, MLS would still be here.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

First off, I'm not fundamentally averse to being a feeder club. I'm pretty sure at this stage, all of MLS needs to be a feeder club to some degree. Atlanta knew their $7.5mm investment in Miggy was that - an investment. ~2 years later and a MLS Cup in their trophy cabinet, they turned him around for $24mm and were able to reinvest that money back into the club. That's a positive feedback loop - that's a necessary one for a club in this league. Now, that's a success story - you are taking a risk and it might not work out. You have to trust your scouting and be intelligent with who you bring into the club. But it's not just one player - ATL, TFC, LAFC - they've all invested heavily into the first team and surrounded talent with other talent and gotten the best out of their investments. 

The problem with RBNY is that our feeder mentality is mostly reliant on academy graduates and we are at the bottom of the pyramid in terms of an organization of feeder clubs. Which means that the talent that gets sold on will likely be less frequent, and certainly be for less $$.  What we got for what might end up being the best USMNT of all time was peanuts. Great for Tyler, great for Jesse - not so great for us as supporters.

Now, of course, the above is a great story for young players to come join us. The only reason the Jorgensen transfer is lamentable is because that's the only fucking investment we made, when we obviously needed more. Two things can be true:

1) You need to invest in players that are ready to make an immediate impact in MLS

2) It's not a bad thing at all to be a feeder club - and tell a story to both those players above, and to young players like Jorgensen who can play their way up the chain. 

Things can easily change - and that's what we need to hope. We need our owners to realize that the 2nd lowest payroll isn't enough to succeed in MLS anymore - that we can make money investing in proper talent etc etc etc

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Things can easily change - and that's what we need to hope. We need our owners to realize that the 2nd lowest payroll isn't enough to succeed in MLS anymore - that we can make money investing in proper talent etc etc etc

Agree they need to invest more. 

When we sell Lawrence, Long, Murillo, Kaku and, who knows even CCJ,this off season if will show we go beyond academy.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
FInal data shows that attendance was down 7% for the team.

It seems like the ppl saying the plan of getting more money from the already fans rather than try to get new ones were correct.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

It seems like the ppl saying the plan of getting more money from the already fans rather than try to get new ones were correct.

Lets see what that number is next season. Theyre losing some already fans over here.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

It seems like a decent amount of people didn't renew though. I'm really curious about those numbers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users