• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
With these new stadiums popping up like MN United,DC Etc....More teams will be added to the list of clubs eager to spend money to add to the seattles,tfcs, lafcs, galaxy etc.

You could probably even add Chicago to that list once they move back to Soldier Field. You can bet that Atlanta and Miami will obviously take that side too.

The next CBA vote may swing in favor of the teams that want to spend more this time giving them an extra mechanism to bolster their roster. (Who knows that that would be)

Meanwhile were tarping off sections and selling top level talent without trying to replace them

5 year plan

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

It's already underway in full swing in Dallas. Sell the academy prospects early, without having to play a single game for the 1st team.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

With these new stadiums popping up like MN United,DC Etc....More teams will be added to the list of clubs eager to spend money to add to the seattles,tfcs, lafcs, galaxy etc.

You could probably even add Chicago to that list once they move back to Soldier Field. You can bet that Atlanta and Miami will obviously take that side too.

The next CBA vote may swing in favor of the teams that want to spend more this time giving them an extra mechanism to bolster their roster. (Who knows that that would be)

Meanwhile were tarping off sections and selling top level talent without trying to replace them

Chicago Fire is going to move back to Soldier Field. Why? When they have their own SSS. I know its just outside of the city but it isnt in the middle of nowhere.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Chicago Fire is going to move back to Soldier Field. Why? When they have their own SSS. I know its just outside of the city but it isnt in the middle of nowhere.

I'm guessing because it's not in Chicago, and it's a pretty good reason if you ask me. Unfortunately not everyone is willing to travel far to see a soccer game like you Mike.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It really is kinda in the middle of nowhere, and this is just a first step to getting a downtown SSS location.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I live in Chicago and don't own a car, because I'm an annoying millennial. For me to get to Toyota Park (SeatGeek Stadium, whatever the fuck), requires me to do one of the following:

A) Walk a mile to the Red Line, take that 30 minutes to Roosevelt, switch to the Orange Line, take that 20 minutes to Midway, then hop on a bus (express, fortunately) for another 20-40 minutes, depending on how close to kickoff you get there. Total commute, round-trip: 3.5-4 hours

B) Take an Uber to Fado's (15 minutes) to get on a Pub to Pitch bus (60 minutes, minimum) that arrives about 90 minutes before kickoff. Total commute, including waiting around for the gates to open (could tailgate with Section 8 - I'd rather not): 4 hours

C) Take an Uber all the way there. Cost: $50, each way. Time: depends! It's 30 minutes each way with no traffic, but with, it can be anywhere from 60-120 minutes. Stadium traffic there is appalling, especially if it's a game that more than 12,000 people want to go to. Usually, I wind up hopping out about a quarter mile from the stadium and skid down an embankment off the road, through some bushes, before walking to the stadium. Probably shaves 20 minutes off the wait. And picking up Ubers after a game takes at least 20 minutes.

I live 19 miles (about 14 as the crow flies) from the stadium. All of these options suck! Soldier Field, meanwhile, is just that walk to the Red Line, straight to Roosevelt, then a 15-minute walk to the stadium through a nice green space.

I've been to 9 games at Toyota Park since I moved here in 2012. I'll go to that many in a season if the Fire move to Soldier Field.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

getting to Bridgeview was a pain. getting to Soldier Field is way easier. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I live in Chicago and don't own a car, because I'm an annoying millennial. For me to get to Toyota Park (SeatGeek Stadium, whatever the fuck), requires me to do one of the following:

A) Walk a mile to the Red Line, take that 30 minutes to Roosevelt, switch to the Orange Line, take that 20 minutes to Midway, then hop on a bus (express, fortunately) for another 20-40 minutes, depending on how close to kickoff you get there. Total commute, round-trip: 3.5-4 hours

B) Take an Uber to Fado's (15 minutes) to get on a Pub to Pitch bus (60 minutes, minimum) that arrives about 90 minutes before kickoff. Total commute, including waiting around for the gates to open (could tailgate with Section 8 - I'd rather not): 4 hours

C) Take an Uber all the way there. Cost: $50, each way. Time: depends! It's 30 minutes each way with no traffic, but with, it can be anywhere from 60-120 minutes. Stadium traffic there is appalling, especially if it's a game that more than 12,000 people want to go to. Usually, I wind up hopping out about a quarter mile from the stadium and skid down an embankment off the road, through some bushes, before walking to the stadium. Probably shaves 20 minutes off the wait. And picking up Ubers after a game takes at least 20 minutes.

I live 19 miles (about 14 as the crow flies) from the stadium. All of these options suck! Soldier Field, meanwhile, is just that walk to the Red Line, straight to Roosevelt, then a 15-minute walk to the stadium through a nice green space.

I've been to 9 games at Toyota Park since I moved here in 2012. I'll go to that many in a season if the Fire move to Soldier Field.

option c is some urban adventureneering 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

So now you have your first hand answer. Bridgeview was never a good choice for Chicago Fire. They have come to defeat and want to fix things (unlike the NE Revolution)and happy ending Robert Kraft!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

not everyone is willing to travel far to see a soccer game like you Mike.

ESCFanatic is Johnny. SabreMike is Mike.
Both do travel far & wide to games.
But, AFAIK no one travels more Mike.
Although ESC MetroCapo Steve has attended >100 consecutive RB matches!
https://mobile.twitt...mpiresc?lang=en

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars Black

The MLS spending structure can't go full haves and have-nots for at least another 5-10 years. Garber needs to maintain the image of parity so he can sell expansion franchises in small markets to fund the enterprise. It's a lot harder to get investors in Cincinnati, Sacramento, St. Louis and North Carolina to pony up top dollar expansion fees knowing they'll be bottom-feeders from year 1 to eternity. But once the league is seemingly maxed out with expansion markets, that's when all bets will be off. 

The Chicago thing is part of a trend for MLS to weed out under-capitalized, small-time owners.

MLS is using their SSS lease buyout as a mechanism to dilute and ultimately squeeze out the current hundred millionaire trust fund owner in favor of a billionaire minority investor, who will ultimately take over.

It's going to be the same deal in Austin, when bigger money guys cover stadium overruns and eventually end up taking over the team from another weak owner.

In Chicago, the SSS location wasn't an issue by itself when they had Blanco flopping around on that pitch. It only became an problem because an incompetent owner allowed the product to nose-dive and couldn't get the casuals back while alienating the hardcores in the process.

Luckily for RB, there are still a number of other worse situations MLS would probably be compelled to deal with first, before we have to worry about going full Chivas (which is basically what's happening to the Fire).

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Luckily for RB, there are still a number of other worse situations MLS would probably be compelled to deal with first, before we have to worry about going full the Chivas (which is basically what's happening to the Fire).

Red Bull also undoubtedly has the money.  They are not the Fire owner or Precourt.  They might not want to spend it, but they have got it.  If you think of the owner as ultimately Dietrich Mateschitz, RBNY has the richest owner in the league that isn't an absolute monarch who wastes his country's resources on soccer teams. Mateschitz has four times as much money as Blank, three times as much as Kraft and twice as much as Kroenke.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Red Bull also undoubtedly has the money.  They are not the Fire owner or Precourt.  They might not want to spend it, but they have got it.  If you think of the owner as ultimately Dietrich Mateschitz, RBNY has the richest owner in the league that isn't an absolute monarch who wastes his country's resources on soccer teams. Mateschitz has four times as much money as Blank, three times as much as Kraft and twice as much as Kroenke.

If we consider for a moment that Mateschitz cares at all, then why would he invest more? He is European and the RB strategy is working. We have won three Shields in six years in Americas first division. To him, thats the championship, not fluky MLS Cup. Added bonus, NY is developing talent for Leipzig and Salzburg (managerial at least). WE want a Cup. Red Bull Corporate not quite as much.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

If we consider for a moment that Mateschitz cares at all, then why would he invest more? He is European and the RB strategy is working. We have won three Shields in six years in Americas first division. To him, thats the championship, not fluky MLS Cup. Added bonus, NY is developing talent for Leipzig and Salzburg (managerial at least). WE want a Cup. Red Bull Corporate not quite as much.

This.

i think if we sucked for a couple years he would open the pocket book.  but from a far 3 shields indict to him that we are going in the right direction and eventually they will figure it out.  

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

They may see winning the SS as being more authentic but from a marketing point of view, which I think is what RB is all about, winning the MLS Cup is way more beneficial.  

Also, has Mateschitz ever been at a game in RBA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users