131 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

We didn't tie because of the refs, we tied because of poor finishing.

Yeah. Atlanta's poor finishing.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts

Yeah. Atlanta's poor finishing.

And ours.

It was, however, one of the more entertaining 0-0 games I have seen. Two good teams going at it. Would have loved the victory, but other than that I got my money's worth. 

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

And ours.

It was, however, one of the more entertaining 0-0 games I have seen. Two good teams going at it. Would have loved the victory, but other than that I got my money's worth. 

agreed.. I always hate 0-0 draws but I felt this one had some chances and good action. Too bad we couldn't put one away for the 1-0 win. Still fun to watch tho.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

agreed.. I always hate 0-0 draws but I felt this one had some chances and good action. Too bad we couldn't put one away for the 1-0 win. Still fun to watch tho.

too funny as Don Garber thinks similar about not liking a 0-0 draw.  Ran into him on the way out of RBA.  I said not a bad game and he said yeah and 0-0 draws are good for no one.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts

But Collin had some injury issues last year, and at Orlando. There were warning signs there. 

Am I missing something because the guy played in 29 games for us last year (all comps) and that was considering he started the year at Orlando.  And with Orlando, he was ready to go outside of perhaps a minimal short term injury, but Heath held him out because he moved on from him.

Last 6 years the guy has averaged 25+ games a year.

The only potential warning sign was him hitting 31 years of age and that's not exactly ancient for that position.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

You guys think the constant bitching that Jesse and Sacha do to the referee all game is leading to them not getting any calls? Sacha is talking pretty much nonstop to the referee the entire match. Feel like you don't see anyone else on the referees case all game like that. 

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Am I missing something because the guy played in 29 games for us last year (all comps) and that was considering he started the year at Orlando.  And with Orlando, he was ready to go outside of perhaps a minimal short term injury, but Heath held him out because he moved on from him.

Last 6 years the guy has averaged 25+ games a year.

The only potential warning sign was him hitting 31 years of age and that's not exactly ancient for that position.

Absolutely disagree. Every week last year all we heard about was how the staff was working with him to make sure he was healthy. We also regularly heard that in Orlando and in his last year at SKC. I know I personally posted something along those lines early in the off-season about him not being that robust anymore and that with his aggressive playing style, his body would breakdown.

It's like the Rangers giving Girardi a massive five year deal with a NTC after he spent years getting pummeled in the Torts system, and then the team acting surprised when the dude couldn't skate anymore. For me a player like Collin who relies so much on his physicality is bound to breakdown sooner rather than later.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Absolutely disagree. Every week last year all we heard about was how the staff was working with him to make sure he was healthy. We also regularly heard that in Orlando and in his last year at SKC. I know I personally posted something along those lines early in the off-season about him not being that robust anymore and that with his aggressive playing style, his body would breakdown.

It's like the Rangers giving Girardi a massive five year deal with a NTC after he spent years getting pummeled in the Torts system, and then the team acting surprised when the dude couldn't skate anymore. For me a player like Collin who relies so much on his physicality is bound to breakdown sooner rather than later.

A lot of 20/20 hindsight here. You may have "called" it - we all know Koko did, but it was nothing more than a guess.

If FO had not re-signed our clearly best 2016 central defender at a (below-)market price of 450k a year this past offseason, we'd be lining up in front of RB Arena with torches and pitchforks. Or at least calling them cheap and stupid on here for seasons to come.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

You guys think the constant bitching that Jesse and Sacha do to the referee all game is leading to them not getting any calls? Sacha is talking pretty much nonstop to the referee the entire match. Feel like you don't see anyone else on the referees case all game like that. 

Agreed. David Villa also does it, but he has more cachet than Sacha.

Add Felipe to the list for being overly dramatic every single time, and a big reason why he doesn't get many calls anymore.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

A lot of 20/20 hindsight here. You may have "called" it - we all know Koko did, but it was nothing more than a guess.

If FO had not re-signed our clearly best 2016 central defender at a (below-)market price of 450k a year this past offseason, we'd be lining up in front of RB Arena with torches and pitchforks. Or at least calling them cheap and stupid on here for seasons to come.

I think if they signed a quality mid-20s CB and let Collin walk, the fanbase would have been ok with that.  That said, I had no issue with them re-signing Collin.  I wish they had a better backup plan than Gideon and Damien though...

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

I think if they signed a quality mid-20s CB and let Collin walk, the fanbase would have been ok with that.  That said, I had no issue with them re-signing Collin.  I wish they had a better backup plan than Gideon and Damien though...

Quality mid-20s CBs don't grow on trees, though. Especially not proven and definitely not cheap. Re-signing Collin at what looked like a discount at the time was a no-brainer. It obviously didn't pan out as hoped (ditto for Baah) but you can't criticize the thought process there. Not without the benefit of hindsight anyway. Just like now we know a 33yo Parkhurst had a much better 2017 than a 31yo Collin. We could use some time machine action during every offseason for sure.

Could/should they have signed more CBs in case 2 penciled-in starters were injured all year and DP aged 5 years in 5 months? Yeah, sure, obviously. They did get Escobar, a promising young CB who is an international at 22yo. But then maybe we don't get Royer or don't give Robles/BWP/Felipe raises. Not giving FO/Marsch a pass, but it isn't as easy as "get more better CBs, duh".

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If FO had not re-signed our clearly best 2016 central defender ..., we'd be lining up in front of RB Arena with torches and pitchforks.

Nope. That was a one-off reaction to the firing of Petke.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Quality mid-20s CBs don't grow on trees, though. Especially not proven and definitely not cheap. Re-signing Collin at what looked like a discount at the time was a no-brainer. It obviously didn't pan out as hoped (ditto for Baah) but you can't criticize the thought process there. Not without the benefit of hindsight anyway. Just like now we know a 33yo Parkhurst had a much better 2017 than a 31yo Collin. We could use some time machine action during every offseason for sure.

Could/should they have signed more CBs in case 2 penciled-in starters were injured all year and DP aged 5 years in 5 months? Yeah, sure, obviously. They did get Escobar, a promising young CB who is an international at 22yo. But then maybe we don't get Royer or don't give Robles/BWP/Felipe raises. Not giving FO/Marsch a pass, but it isn't as easy as "get more better CBs, duh".

Don't disagree, except that DP did look pretty old last year.  DP has played better the last few games, here's hoping he maintains that level going into the playoffs.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This. Guys like BWP and guys like Parkhurst having a good year are not playing the odds. Youre rolling the dice to some degree.

From a pure business perspective they should have played the odds and pretended like Collin wasnt going to be good enough.

Then they compounded their poor decision making by counting on Perinelle, Baah, and an unproven at this level Long.

That is piss poor planning. There are a plenty of good CBs all over the world that would take Collins paycheck and do a good job here.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

It's not really about me "calling" it. I'm not that much of a narcissist. And it's not just about Colin. As McSoccer noted, our top three CBs going into this season were Colin, Baah, and Perinelle. None of them proved to be durable at all. The main issue with the team last year going into the playoffs and all season was our backline. Remember when we were having random fullbacks playing CB all year long? When Zizzo was slotting into that role? We entered the season last year not good enough at the CB spot, and that happened again this season. I am sorry but this is inexcusable. 

The other element that was not really addressed is that we haven't had a good distributing CB in a long time. Many on this board have been asking for such a player for a while. Both of Atlanta's CBs can distribute from the back. Perinnelle theoretically can, but he's fragile as all hell. Colin is more of an emergency defender, but he's vocal and can organize. Having such a player can really assist when teams play their whole possum game and sit deep. A good passing CB can really unlock defenses by pushing up and passing through. Just a thought. 

There is one final thing that shows how poor the FO was this off-season regarding the defense. Did anybody here believe Long would play 2700 minutes this season? I personally did not have that expectation. I assumed he would have a role, but not be our main CB. And he's proven time and time again to not be up to the task against top shelf opposition. Both Jozy and Villa ate him alive recently. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users