36 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The problems go above the manager, most of us recognized that some time ago.

Of course they do. And Struber worked magic last year making our defense halfway decent considering all the problems he had to deal with.

That doesnt excuse Struber from his mistakes. In 2019 we were playing pretty good down the stretch. So what does Struber do? Walks in for ONE game and changes the formation weve been winning with. Or how about starting a CB at right back against Cinci when you have Duncan on the bench? I get Duncan hasnt been his best here, but hes dangerous in the attack, an area we have had a few issues with this season.

His soccer is also boring, but that may just be me.

Problem #1: Ownership
Problem #2: Front Office
Problem #3: Ownership
Problem #4: Strubers Tactics

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

His soccer is also boring, but that may just be me.

This is not just you.  its arguably the most boring red bull team to watch that i remember.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This is not just you.  its arguably the most boring red bull team to watch that i remember.

I don't blame Struber for that.   What is boring is the lack of buildup.   There's been a stat tossed around about how few 2nd and 3rd passes we attempt and complete in the attack, and how much dramatically worse it is than it historically has been.   That is happening because there's no one up top to pass to.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Good question, how much the ugliness was due to the black hole up top vs. tactics.

Even with the analysis that all the fault is on Struber, how is that not ultimately due to an absentee owner that isn't seeing the product on the field from game to game?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If people think Struber's style is boring, why? It's (for the most part) Red Bull Press™.

So if Struber's style is boring, was Jesse's style boring? Because it was (for the most part) Red Bull Press™.

The big difference, of course, is that Jesse had an exquisite passer in the middle (Sacha, Kaku) and a bonafide superstar striker, which allowed him to taylor Red Bull Press™ to their qualities. Struber doesn't have players like that.

And that's on him?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
MF you don't see a difference in how comfortable the team looks when they have the ball between Marsch and Struber? Yes both teams share the signature Red Bull Press but for me it's night and day once they win it.

Marsch's teams were poetry in motion with the ball. Everyone made well timed runs, ball always moved forward in one-two touches, and we got numbers in the box to finish. Sacha was not an exquisite passer, he was just smart and played Jesse's system perfectly.

Struber's teams look like headless chickens when they win the ball. Runs all over the place, poorly timed passes, nobody in the box to finish. This does not to me look like a well oiled machine that just needs that playmaker to unlock it all. Sacha would have no more assists than Luqui playing for Struber imo, and Struber would blame it on his lack of desire.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

MF you don't see a difference in how comfortable the team looks when they have the ball between Marsch and Struber? Yes both teams share the signature Red Bull Press but for me it's night and day once they win it.

Marsch's teams were poetry in motion with the ball. Everyone made well timed runs, ball always moved forward in one-two touches, and we got numbers in the box to finish. Sacha was not an exquisite passer, he was just smart and played Jesse's system perfectly.

Struber's teams look like headless chickens when they win the ball. Runs all over the place, poorly timed passes, nobody in the box to finish. This does not to me look like a well oiled machine that just needs that playmaker to unlock it all. Sacha would have no more assists than Luqui playing for Struber imo.

Again, look at the players Jesse had. Dax, great on the ball. Sam, Grella, Royer, Adams... How many of our current players would start on Jesse's teams?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

If people think Struber's style is boring, why? It's (for the most part) Red Bull Press™.

So if Struber's style is boring, was Jesse's style boring? Because it was (for the most part) Red Bull Press™.

The big difference, of course, is that Jesse had an exquisite passer in the middle (Sacha, Kaku) and a bonafide superstar striker, which allowed him to taylor Red Bull Press™ to their qualities. Struber doesn't have players like that.

And that's on him?

He had Kaku for his first game and didn't start him.  I understand Kaku was a headache that year.  Luqhinus isn't a bad passer and after he became less effective in the role Struber gave him, there was never an attempt to try him as a traditional 10.  Sacha wasn't a CAM until he came here.

Under Marsch, we pressed, but the were a pretty traditional, even if very direct, attack when we won the ball.  We rarely see balls played to feet in the attack like we did under Marsch.  Everything with Struber is chaos - win ball and hope Morgan or Luquinhas do something great.  We haven't seen any real build up play like we did with Marsch.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

I don't blame Struber for that.   What is boring is the lack of buildup.   There's been a stat tossed around about how few 2nd and 3rd passes we attempt and complete in the attack, and how much dramatically worse it is than it historically has been.   That is happening because there's no one up top to pass to.   

thats where we disagree its by design Struber only speaks about pressing its the only thing he refers to when every a mistake is made his whole structure is press and play forward quickly

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Again, look at the players Jesse had. Dax, great on the ball. Sam, Grella, Royer, Adams... How many of our current players would start on Jesse's teams?

Assessing individual talent sort of misses my point, but overall I do not think the drop in talent is in line with the drop in attacking efficiency.

I'm talking about whether the team as a whole looks like they are moving the ball in ways that look practiced and intentional. Marsch's team wins the ball at midfield, within 15 seconds and 4 passes they've moved the ball into the box for BWP to shoot. Struber's teams wins the ball at midfield and either runs straight into the closest defender or to the corner flag.

Luqui isn't losing the ball in those situations cause he's a shit player, he's losing it because nobody around him is doing anything helpful. When the whole team constantly looks out of sorts like that, I look at the coach.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

And that's on him?

I dont find the press boring I wouldnt say Philly is boring I think a lighting well drilled transition offense can be very entertaining but under Struber we have lacked ideas in transition and fluidity in the final third. Leipzig Salzburg and Philly have all showed nuance in how they attack with the ball while maintaining a very energetic high pressing structure. It can be done question is does Struber have the capability to do it I dont think so personally nothing in his history suggests that to me

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Struber's teams look like headless chickens when they win the ball. Runs all over the place, poorly timed passes, nobody in the box to finish. This does not to me look like a well oiled machine that just needs that playmaker to unlock it all. Sacha would have no more assists than Luqui playing for Struber imo, and Struber would blame it on his lack of desire.

I would make the case that Sacha was a much better, much more flexible player than Luq is. Throughout his career, he excelled at different positions. Same with other players that excelled under Jesse.

Of course, there is a lot of truth to Struber's headless chickens approach. But is the approach a product of his squad? I don't think it would work with Luq trying to imitate Sacha and with Klimala (or whoever) trying to imitate BWP...

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

I dont care if this team is boring. I just want them to win a cup trophy. It's been 27 seasons of sorrow. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Also, as much as Marsch is looked at with misty eyes now, he was called rigid and inflexible during his time here. I mean, the whole narrative that his teams couldn't break the bunker, no matter how hard they tried.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Also, as much as Marsch is looked at with misty eyes now, he was called rigid and inflexible during his time here. I mean, the whole narrative that his teams couldn't break the bunker, no matter how hard they tried.

Extremely rigid and he might be paying the price for that soon. Marschs teams were boring when they faced the bunker. Strubers teams are boring all the time.

Had Sacha ever played CAM before he got here? Even if Morgan or Luq arent as good as a passer as Sacha, theyre still talented & composed offensive players. They can do more than try for wonder goals constantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users