273 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I disagree - he is a starter for the USMNT. I'm not saying Liverpool is scouting him, but he definitely would have offers. Maybe not the 15mil or whatever RB wanted a couple years ago, but maybe 2-3mil? to a lower EPL team - I believe he can leave for free after next year too (not sure on that). 

he signed a 3 year deal right before the 2019 season (link).  Especially with the pandemic impacting revenues a free transfer for a national team starter is a no brainer for some teams.  No one is expecting him to being playing in champions league but there will be interest if he wants to go. 

zeelimit

zeelimit

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

World Soccer in their annual transfer market report, discussed Long's prospects. They stated that he had a $6M buy out clause, which in their view was a bargain. As a result, they thought it was likely he was going.

No other Red Bull made the report.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He turned 28 this month. His window for leaving for Europe is getting smaller with each passing hour. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

think this is interesting and wondering if Struber double down on current youth players (of course he has to rate them)

while RBG searches for more players to bring in globally and any other Barca players who want to follow Caden Clark lead.

https://www.onceamet...the-struber-era

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

World Soccer in their annual transfer market report, discussed Long's prospects. They stated that he had a $6M buy out clause, which in their view was a bargain. As a result, they thought it was likely he was going.

No other Red Bull made the report.

I believe it was confirmed that he does not have a release clause - just something west ham reporters misstated. RB wanted something like 15 mil for him - but I would imagine that number is lower now, due to remaining years on contract and age. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I believe it was confirmed that he does not have a release clause - just something west ham reporters misstated. RB wanted something like 15 mil for him - but I would imagine that number is lower now, due to remaining years on contract and age. 

Also because it was a mid-season transfer and we had no realistic way of replacing him. I still wonder if that was ever a serious number or pretty much just a way to tell other teams to fuck off.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Also because it was a mid-season transfer and we had no realistic way of replacing him. I still wonder if that was ever a serious number or pretty much just a way to tell other teams to fuck off.

I took it as a fuck off.... which surprised me. I'd figure if they brought someone in for nothing, and could flip him at 27 yo for 7 mil, they would do it regardless of how it affected the strength of the team. Feels like maybe there is more to the story? Maybe they thought Long was good advertisement for the RB brand through national team duty. Or maybe, which is the obvious uncynical answer, they actually care about winning and needed long for that.  

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

He turned 28 this month. His window for leaving for Europe is getting smaller with each passing hour. 

This.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
Should sell Kaku he isnt dynamic enough for this system and his tendency to drift out of his spot puts us in bad counter pressing scenarios. His whole game is built on constantly getting the ball and playing it. He doesnt drive at defense on the dribble and or make good runs off the ball that open up space for other. I would move on and bring in two dp strikers or try to get claudinho from Red Bull brazil. Clark can play the 10 with Flo in the RZA versatile do everything but not week in week our starter midfielder role. Keep Davis and yearwood and sell Casseres weak tackler and sloppy passer

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Should sell Kaku he isnt dynamic enough for this system and his tendency to drift out of his spot puts us in bad counter pressing scenarios. His whole game is built on constantly getting the ball and playing it. He doesnt drive at defense on the dribble and or make good runs off the ball that open up space for other.

Some of that is coaching.  He had 3 goals and 10 assets in 13 matches played under Marsch and he's had 10 goals and 14 assists in 57 matches played since.  Not against an upgrade, and I know part of his 2019 slump was probably because of his unhappiness in not getting his transfer, but I think having Armas as a coach hurt him.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I would rather see how Kaku does after buying two good forwards who know how to make runs and finish.  But if we got a good offer somehow, I'd sell him.  

Now that CCJ is getting capped it may be the best time to sell him.  But (assuming Rza is gone too) we need to buy a replacement.  Our CM group would get rather thin at that point.  

Generally I would only sell one of CCJ and Kaku and would prefer to sell Kaku because its easier to fill a DP slot than find a young startable CM for a non DP salary who doesnt count as an international.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Some of that is coaching.  He had 3 goals and 10 assets in 13 matches played under Marsch and he's had 10 goals and 14 assists in 57 matches played since.  Not against an upgrade, and I know part of his 2019 slump was probably because of his unhappiness in not getting his transfer, but I think having Armas as a coach hurt him.

I think we know where Kaku stands on the matter

https://sbisoccer.co...omero-right-now

“I think Chris — unlike Jesse who always tried to play me in the middle — is looking to find me in different spots, on the outside or another area where I can get freed up,” Kaku told SBI.

“He asks me that when the ball is out wide to try and get close because if I’m in the middle I’m too far,” Kaku later added. “He wants me to not always stay in the middle because if the whole team is pressing or playing with the ball in those areas and I’m (in the center), then it doesn’t help us much.”

“Yeah (I feel more comfortable in the middle),” said Kaku, who has 14 assists this year. “I feel comfortable in the middle because I have more space, because I have more vision to see the forwards and try to assist them.”

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Should sell Kaku he isnt dynamic enough for this system and his tendency to drift out of his spot puts us in bad counter pressing scenarios. His whole game is built on constantly getting the ball and playing it. He doesnt drive at defense on the dribble and or make good runs off the ball that open up space for other. I would move on and bring in two dp strikers or try to get claudinho from Red Bull brazil. Clark can play the 10 with Flo in the RZA versatile do everything but not week in week our starter midfielder role. Keep Davis and yearwood and sell Casseres weak tackler and sloppy passer

quite an interesting take.

Take what you can get for Kaku,  Give Clark max time. Omir or Valot can fill in as 10

6 and 8 are Davis Yearwood - add in a new mid or someone from NYRB 2 - 

all depends on formation

CCJ - sell and move to developing more NYRB2 players or an EU player from the RBG/Struber network

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

perhaps but im seeing those things more as tendencys in his game. I think his early success also was aided by being an unknown entity to the league now teams know to keep him off his left foot and for the most part drop off him because he doesnt take space

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

perhaps but im seeing those things more as tendencys in his game. I think his early success also was aided by being an unknown entity to the league now teams know to keep him off his left foot and for the most part drop off him because he doesnt take space

Fair, but in just five matches after Armas he has a goal and three assists.  He had one goal and one assist in the nine matches in 2020 coached by Armas.  Small sample size for sure, but still.

He may not be the best fit for the system, especially if Struber is going to push the press more than Marsch, but he has been an effective chance producer under every coach here not named Armas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users