So now what's the ideal XI (and subs) from late August on?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

BW no P

Royer          Kaku         Sims

Taxi                         CJ                               Muyl

Tarek            Long           Parker

Cap'n

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

BW no P

Cap'n

This.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

BW no P

Cap'n

I think Armas has to give this lineup a chance.  I don't like not playing Davis, I think what he does as a shuttler is underrated, but he's not a good enough ball winner to start over Cass Jr. as a lone deep-lying CM.

And, I've always thought Muyl has looked his best as a wingback.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I probably have too much faith in the kid at this point, but as a wingback I'd still want Murillo out there over Muyl. Less defensive responsibilities in the box and there's no denying he's way better on the ball than Muyl.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I am a huge Sean Davis fan, but I don't see him as first choice in this formation.

I also have assumed Murillo is on his way out, and while he would be a better offensive option than Muyl in the attacking 3rd, I don't see him pressing enough or doing enough  to track back

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I am a huge Sean Davis fan, but I don't see him as first choice in this formation.

I also have assumed Murillo is on his way out, and while he would be a better offensive option than Muyl in the attacking 3rd, I don't see him pressing enough or doing enough  to track back

I feel like Murillo's problem isn't laziness, the dude runs plenty and is a phenomenal natural athlete. He just switches off too often when he's in the box and ball watches. As a wingback I think I trust him to get up and down the field OK (famous last words...)

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I probably have too much faith in the kid at this point, but as a wingback I'd still want Murillo out there over Muyl. Less defensive responsibilities in the box and there's no denying he's way better on the ball than Muyl.

Still too much defensive responsibility for me considering the way Armas plays (or doesnt play) the press.

We should have signed a legit RB.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I feel like Murillo's problem isn't laziness, the dude runs plenty and is a phenomenal natural athlete. He just switches off too often when he's in the box and ball watches. As a wingback I think I trust him to get up and down the field OK (famous last words...)

I agree its not laziness.  I just don't think that style comes intuitively to him, and he gets caught out taking time to think about what to do, when there is no time to think.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Every time we went with 3 Central defenders, we got crushed. The best formation we have is two center backs, two wing backs, 2 DM, 3 attacking MFs, and a striker. Also, I am not that sold on Buck just yet. Murillo may reclaim that spot. Assuming Sims shows his worth, we will have:

Robles

Lawrence Parker Long Murillo

CCJ Davis

Royer Kaku Sims

White

Mera, Amir, Buck, Muyl, Rzat, and BWP are depth players.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Every time we went with 3 Central defenders, we got crushed. The best formation we have is two center backs, two wing backs, 2 DM, 3 attacking MFs, and a striker. Also, I am not that sold on Buck just yet. Murillo may reclaim that spot. Assuming Sims shows his worth, we will have:

Robles

Lawrence Parker Long Murillo

CCJ Davis

Royer Kaku Sims

White

Mera, Amir, Buck, Muyl, Rzat, and BWP are depth players.

We had success in 2017 with a 3-man backline.  It just needs to be coached right...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

We had success in 2017 with a 3-man backline.  It just needs to be coached right...

then we're fucked

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Taxi4Taxi

Taxi4Taxi

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Supports:Metro, US, Arsenal

BW no P

Cap'n

I don't know how the press would work in this... but I like it.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

BW no P

Cap'n

this would look too similar to the shit we tried in the away leg in Mexico in CCL this year, where our central midfield shape was decimated and we gave up like 3 goals in 15 seconds.  We absolutely need at a bare minimum 2 real bona-fide central mids playing centrally - not CCJ plus Kaku,  certainly not CCJ plus BWP (how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man Chris Armas??)

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

this would look too similar to the shit we tried in the away leg in Mexico in CCL this year, where our central midfield shape was decimated and we gave up like 3 goals in 15 seconds.  We absolutely need at a bare minimum 2 real bona-fide central mids playing centrally - not CCJ plus Kaku,  certainly not CCJ plus BWP (how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man Chris Armas??)

Its still risky but not quite as risky as the away CCL leg. We played a 4-1-4-1 so Davis had a little less support than what's proposed here. Armas would need to be ready to make some second half adjustments though, we held our own in the 4-1-4-1 till Davis ran out of gas, and that's when the floodgates opened.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I think CCJ is better at protecting the backline than Davis is, but in this formation, Long can almost act as a CDM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users