58 replies to this topic

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Miami goes to the East, Nashville to the West.

The more surprising news is below the headline:

Each club will continue to play a 34-game regular season with 17 home matches and 17 away matches. Every team will play their 12 intra-conference opponents twice – once home and once away for a total of 24 matches – with the other 10 regular-season matches coming against the opposite conference. Those inter-conference opponents will be revealed with the full 2020 schedule release.

So MLS has just given up on even trying to make the schedule almost balanced.  There are 2 western conference teams that we would only play in MLS cup.

https://www.mlssocce...-nashville-west

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i'm ok with this.  balanced schedule is only a necessity for single table format.  for a playoff league like ours, it's more important to not have games in Dec IMO. 

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Not playing all teams is pretty bush league, but I guess it was bound to happen with the endless expansion and NFL does it so it must be cool.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

So Nashville is going west, but MLS is touting Atlanta-Nashville as a potential rivalry? Whatever...

Hope we skip LAFC; I doubt it. I bet we skip Nashville and Colorado.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

So Nashville is going west, but MLS is touting Atlanta-Nashville as a potential rivalry? Whatever...

And give up our annual July 4th fireworks decorated why-are-we-playing-this-game away loss? I'm clutching my pearls at the thought...

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

And give up our annual July 4th fireworks decorated why-are-we-playing-this-game away loss? I'm clutching my pearls at the thought...

Good point; Salt Lake and Nashville?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Good point; Salt Lake and Nashville?

I want to play Nashville to ensure we get to see Dax and BWP.  Sounds like Luis is going to the Beckman United Flamingoes (or apparently Heron)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Still to be launched Austin 2021, StLouis 2022, Sacramento 2022, and Charlotte ?.

When Austin, StL and Sac go to the West, and Charlotte to East, they will need 1 West team to switch to the East. Then they will move Nashville to the East.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The schedule will be balanced when MLS expands to 40 teams and creates MLS 1 & 2 with pro/rel.

I expect MLS to reach 32 teams in a few years:
play everyone once, second vs. 3 rivals = 34.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

My bet is owners don't wanna pay for that kind of travel and they'll keep the schedule unbalanced towards your conference even at 32.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think its just a temp thing for them being in the West, and they'll be in the east or (southeast if we go to 4 conferences) soon enough.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

In a playoff-focused league, I suspect they will still keep the conference schedules beefed up, with 2 games against every team in your conference.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

owners don't wanna pay for that kind of travel

New owners may want to see every opponent.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

In a playoff-focused league.

The regular-season schedule may not unduly affect the annual gimmick changes in the playoff schedule.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

They have some hoops to jump through to come up with a normal system when we have 30 teams. You'd think they wouldn't mind expanding the regular season past 34 games to increase games cause it increases inventory to sell to the tv networks and more games is more gate receipts. Can't imagine team owners will be happy if they miss big players (ie Zlatan) coming to their market. It just doesn't sit right with me that every team doesn't play every team. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users