RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

That was last season:

Teemu was more important because Rafa was rafa instead of RAFA! and Dax hadn't really integrated into the team yet. The preseason has made a big boost to Dax' role, especially with Teemu missing a chunk of preseason and rafa sitting out the 1st two games. It has given Dax more time to meld in.

I see it more as Dax getting clarity in his role. He played well this week in the "pure destroyer" role. Dax doesn't do nearly as well when Teemu is playing that role, and he then is asked to move the ball forward. We all look at Rafa as a DM, but he's not for us. His most valuable contribution is going forward with the long, precise passes. So he's not a CAM, and he's not a DM. He has the skills to break up an attack, but you cant count on him doing that very far back from the midline, and he can go forward but he won't be making many, if any runs into the box.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I see it more as Dax getting clarity in his role. He played well this week in the "pure destroyer" role. Dax doesn't do nearly as well when Teemu is playing that role, and he then is asked to move the ball forward. We all look at Rafa as a DM, but he's not for us. His most valuable contribution is going forward with the long, precise passes. He has the skills to break up an attack, but you cant count on him doing that very far back from the midline.

Clarity and melding were the same thing in my mind. The melding was as much the coaches learning how best to use him as it was Dax getting set with his teamates.

We all seem to be circling back to the same issue, if we get a shiny new toy at CM, what will the rest of the midfield look like? Who would support him in the center? Lindpere likes to stay high, Dane moves back and forth, but we want him to push up high. So does that leave Rafa, Teemu, Dax and Palsson all fighting for the same position? If we need a destroyer to support our "savior", then do we really expect to see both Rafa and Teemu sit in favor of Dax? Hard to see that happening, yet we all fear Rafa in the DM role unless the new CM will share the attack/defend duties interchangably with Rafa. I don't see Ireland doing that as his defense is not his strong suit.

I worry that just as these guys are finding their stride we will insert a new player that on paper will make us better, but in reality derails our hard earned chemistry.

Not 100% sure what i want, to be honest.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
[quote name='Voice of Reason II' date='Mar 27 2012, 12:21 PM' post='1084579']
Clarity and melding were the same thing in my mind... quote]
I agree with everything, but my point was more that there would never be any "melding" or clarity as long as it was a Teemu and Dax combination. They are too similar in their strengths and weaknesses. His success was more about being paired with a Rafa type player than it was anything else.

A Rafa /CAM combo can work if Conde turns out to be as strong as his history indicates he can be. But anything less will leave a big open highway right down the middle.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

A Rafa /CAM combo can work if Conde turns out to be as strong as his history indicates he can be. But anything less will leave a big open highway right down the middle.

Conde is one of the biggest swing factors for us. I have a lot of confidence in his ability to hold under pressure and he has vision so he doesn't just boot the ball upfield blindly. He certainly is a very tenacious defender with superb timing for when and how to commit defensively.

But can he stay healthy? None of us will know till the final whistle. He was really giving orders on Sunday (thought marcus was going to cry or smash him in the mouth at one point) which was great. I can't tell yet whether Holgersson respects him or resents him, but hopefully they will develop a strong partnership.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Back on topic, I'm also worried that Ireland will break up the empty bucket 442 that shows promise.

Shades of fall 2010 when acquiring Ballouchy got Backe trying the diamond mid, which put way too much pressure on Rafa to be a destroyer and Ballouchy to be a playmaker. Rafa's a passing CM, and a damn good one (what Reyna was supposed to be) but he needs a workhorse next to him (Tchani in 2010).

With Henry dropping to become a #10 when necessary, and 2 offensive side mids, im not sure Ireland fits. Maybe as a CAM or a LW in a 4-3-3? Who sits for him though, Cooper? Dane? Probably Dax, but then Rafa without his workhorse is exposed.

----TH14-----Cooper----

--------Ireland-----------
Lindpere-----------Dane
---------Rafa-----------

------------BACK 4-------

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

See:

Yikes. The 411 on Ives is that he was born and raised in Jersey (i believe he lives in Hoboken/Jersey City or somehwere around there but definitely in that area). Became a Metrostar/RB beat reporter for local newspapers. Realized he could be the first to start an all MLS blog on the internets and thus formed Soccer By Ives. Everyone on there bashed him for being a Red Bull fan boy. Claudio Reyna retired/JCO resigned (his BFF's), so he felt he had a bone to pick with the organization and ever since then he's trying to get away from the label of a RB fan boy.

Want a few minutes of fun? Call him out on Twitter. He will make it a point to stop whatever he's doing, get in a fight with you.

Been there, done that... it was a classic.

The example previously cited about the negativity to moves RBNY makes vs. cautious optimism of the moves the Philly Union make is the clearest example in my eyes.

And you are right regarding Cooper, I specifically remember SBI proclaiming that RBNY were taken in the deal. He might have said other teams thought this as well, but I can't remember.

Can't remember the commentary on Conde. Anyone else remember?

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

chunas

chunas

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls
if they bring Ireland ! is people gonna dress up like the guy from the luckycharms box or the riverdancers.......... :lol:
what just happen!

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
The empty bucket may be fool's gold. They did well against an average team that was missing 2 od their bes mids which happen to play center

5 year plan

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Can't remember the commentary on Conde. Anyone else remember?

Injuries, we wasted our allocation, it could pay off but it won't

etc.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
remember in chicago he sorta became a headcase cuz he didn't get what he wanted, either it was a trade, more money, or just being stuck in Chicago.

that rubbed some Chicago fans the wrong way, as it should. That was one seed of negativity planted. Once he left the league and ventured down south, he became forgotten, and the most recent thing we've heard was the foot injury. These two things is why some thought, including me, that Conde may not work out, the slight possibility of him being injured and sort of having an attitude. My worry was that he just wasn't up for it.

This past Sunday indicates to me that he may some left in the tank.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

The empty bucket may be fool's gold. They did well against an average team that was missing 2 od their bes mids which happen to play center

Fair point. So you think diamond with Ireland uptop and Rafa DM if we get him? I want to believe Conde will make it all work, we'll see.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Fair point. So you think diamond with Ireland uptop and Rafa DM if we get him? I want to believe Conde will make it all work, we'll see.

I think you're more likely to see Ireland play even with Lindpere and Richards. Backe has avoided a true diamond in all situations save last ditch comeback efforts since he concluded that De Rosiario invaded Henry's territory, as Titi likes to play as a withdrawn striker.

4-1-3-1-1 is approximately what we'll see. Ireland taking Dax's current spot. Guy will need to play more defense than a typical CAM
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

Cgf is right. When dero played cam for us he was required to track back a lot. He was forced to play as a 2 way mid. Hans failed to use him the right way. He's a free roaming attacking terror not michael bradley.

Maybe the addiion of conde in the back and 2 forwards consisting of henry,coop and vishnu willing rodgers defending and peskering from the front will allow Ireland to be a true CAM in a diamond

If i were a betting man id say the old man doesnt have the stones to play ireland in a diamond with 1 dmid behind him. He'll probably play him on the wing. Sorta like he did/does with ubi or bluecheese

Prove me wrong Hans!

5 year plan

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Your point?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users