11 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

most of the originals are lame ducks. ... The future will be these untapped markets built right from the beginning so a team can start big and remain big

Metro started big. There were crowds of >50K in 1996. Poor quality of play and poor results quickly spoiled the product, and crowds dwindled.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Metro started big. There were crowds of >50K in 1996. Poor quality of play and poor results quickly spoiled the product, and crowds dwindled.

My first memory of Metro: being all hyped for soccer in America after WC94, getting tickets(aaround 45 a piece) . to home opener, going there all hyped with bunch of my friends, and that fucking own goal.  That feeling is still there!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Metro 1996 opening day crowd: 46,826. 0-1 loss
Second home game, one week later: 26,416, 0-2 loss
Drop of >20,000 fans in one week.
Third home crowd, the following week: 38,621, shootout win.
Fourth home crowd, Thursday: 14,121, 3-0 victory
Fifth home crowd, Thursday: 25,322, 1-2 loss
Sixth home crowd, LA "Andrew Shue": 53,250, 0-4 loss
Seventh home crowd: 18,404, 0-1 loss
Drop of almost 35,000 fans after ass-kicking.
For the remaining 10 regular season home games after LA, the highest attendance was 21,212.

http://www.oocities....attendance.html
http://metrofanatic....e.jsp?YEAR=1996

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

I remember that home loss vs LA being a hype killer. Up until then people were trying to give the team a chance then all the sudden they bailed. We then hovered at around 15-20K ever since.

I do think that these new clubs(starting with MLS 2.0, aka TFC, Seattle, Portland) went about creating their teams in a more traditional way. Gone where the silly Americanized names(unless it was an old one like TImbers/Seattle), the need to play in football stadiums, the need to be like every other sport in the US, and the over all gimmicks that didnt work.

In came the more serious, more local, and more grass roots approach that most of the new clubs have taken. THe clubs themselves because about more than just the latest name or some foreign opponent coming to play here and became more about city pride.

I dont know why the original 10 clubs still have the old mentality of the late 90's when it comes to running their clubs. All of them except (KC who changed owners) still operate with that old mentality. The mentality of pandering to fans by bring in a high priced player from a lating country to draw in fans, fill the stadium with jockjams, and treat the club like a second class citizen even in their own stadium. because they need to make money.

Its like youre running a restaurant and instead of working on making sure you have the right ingredients, meeting with local farmers, and making sure your recipes are something customers want to eat. You decide to redecorate the dinning room and put up a new sign outside. Yet are still serving the same slop.

I think what we have in RBNY is something unique however. I think we have the negative effect that MLS/Metro left in the area to many soccer fans. Plus the whole weird being named and branded after a soda. Its just never going to be what you see happening in other cities. Not just because we are named after a soad but because the owners themselves have a different mentality. They're not so much worried about representing a city/area as they are about making sure their soda is being represent in a good light.

Maybe if we ever change owners it will energize the fanbase and club to be something more authentic.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

The funny thing about home opener is that there was a lot of mixed groups of fans (my buddies was all russian and we just cheered huy all game), there was mostly spanish dudes getting drunk in the parking lot thi

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

:wacko:

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Next tailgate is on top of the roof nect to path station!

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

All-Star game was great, full house & wicked atmosphere

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

I would say that was more about the second game. The MLS game was the undercard.

I am with Serg- it was the LA game. Think Hurtado torched us and bunch of guys in upper deck starting raining bottles down below. Fun times.

I used to have a couple of funny things here but I can no longer find them.

tat106

tat106

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Supports:MetroReds, USMNT

I would say that was more about the second game. The MLS game was the undercard.

I am with Serg- it was the LA game. Think Hurtado torched us and bunch of guys in upper deck starting raining bottles down below. Fun times.

Yeah, Brazil against the World was entertaining as hell. The skill level during that match was off the chain. At one point, someone sent a long ball to Abedi Pele and how he caught and controlled it with his first touch- while at speed, made everyone gasp.

Hard to believe it's been over 20 years!

"It's not genius, it's practice." - Thierry Henry

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=tBKM2lv4pus

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Brazil against the World was entertaining as hell. ...
Hard to believe it's been over 20 years!

Some video of the packed Giants Stadium:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=zRhvK8ypqQk
Captioning indicates that Ronaldo's club team at the time was PSV Eindhoven, which somehow was in Germany ...
Anyone with 90 minutes to spare can watch the entire game: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=zX3I3cc_g0M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users