242 replies to this topic

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This is good business marketing for player sales and acquisition. Would love to hear the talk (as it im sure totally relates to our plans) but not to the tune of $50. 

its only 29 if you book early

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Grella humiliating Lampard was memorable. Conversely, lotsa forgettable stuff these days from the current crop, thanks Hamlett. 

Despite the success even most of Marsch's teams played pretty boring soccer, at least in the sense that it lacked any sort of flair. Kljestan turned into a phenomenal #10 but not sure the guy pulled off a single skill move in his time here.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
Ok. So why over the past 3 years did we let go of muyl, Ettiene, stroud, mines? These guys are now coming into their prime as MLS caliber wingers.

Do we just hate home grown wingers? I wasnt their biggest fan, but now were with Valot, Omir, royer, Kaku (if he stays).

Thinking the team wont sign a winger. Which 4 would you take?

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Ok. So why over the past 3 years did we let go of muyl, Ettiene, stroud, mines? These guys are now coming into their prime as MLS caliber wingers.

Do we just hate home grown wingers? I wasnt their biggest fan, but now were with Valot, Omir, royer, Kaku (if he stays).

4-3-1-2 or a 3-5-2 are going to be the preferred systems, theres still versatility with the personnel on the roster to play a 4-2-3-1 every once in a while using Royer, Omir, or Valot on the wing.

If Lacava gets a first team contract he can play as a winger as well.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Comes down to two things for me:

1) I don't think any of the four guys we've let go are surefire starters in MLS. Muyl, Etienne, and Stroud are attacking players who have trouble getting on the scoresheet. Mines is yet to prove he's capable of earning MLS minutes at all.

2) I don't think we owe homegrown players any more loyalty than any other player if they've been with the team for a few years and aren't showing signs of improving or locking down a starting spot. That's not "hating" our homegrown players, its just the nature of sports. 

In a vacuum, the only decision I'd personally change is keeping Stroud over Omir. But like TK_RBNY said, Struber's style of play likely made those players unnecessary anyway.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
*sighs/screams into the void* Etienne's more suited to playmaking, not finishing plays. This team needs lots of both. If you only look at his goals, you miss how the team generally looked more dangerous when he was on the field.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

*sighs/screams into the void* Etienne's more suited to playmaking, not finishing plays. This team needs lots of both. If you only look at his goals, you miss how the team generally looked more dangerous when he was on the field.

He's got fewer career assists than goals, and MLS counts secondary assists!

I get why you're a fan, Etienne is a fun skill player on a good day. And there are guys out there who indisputably make their team better even if they're not on the scoresheet (Iniesta is the best example of this). I just don't personally think Etienne is at that level, we'll see how his career progresses at Columbus.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

He's got fewer career assists than goals, and MLS counts secondary assists!

I get why you're a fan, Etienne is a fun skill player on a good day. And there are guys out there who indisputably make their team better even if they're not on the scoresheet (Iniesta is the best example of this). I just don't personally think Etienne is at that level, we'll see how his career progresses at Columbus.

etienne is a very good MLS player. is he a star or a guy that can carry your team? probably not. But he is clutch, a gamer and a guy that can play his role very well at a very cheap cap hit. Same with Stroud and Mines.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

etienne is a very good MLS player. is he a star or a guy that can carry your team? probably not. But he is clutch, a gamer and a guy that can play his role very well at a very cheap cap hit. Same with Stroud and Mines.

One post-season goal does not make him clutch.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

One post-season goal does not make him clutch.

he did clinch us the shield...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He did... his only goal of the year.    A very, very poor man's Divock Origi.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Of these 4, I'd probably keep muyl and ettiene as late game, down 1 goal subs in certain situations. But don't really like any of them as core starters. Willing to give Thelwell/Struber benefit of the doubt on moving from these guys. That benefit of the doubt has an expiration date though. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

He did... his only goal of the year.       

Not in 2018, he had 5.

http://www.metrofana...ists.jsp?ID=318

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

He also didn't score on a PK in the same game. We still bombed out with this guy on the roster in the playoffs. Stroud is meh and Mines didn't do shit to warrant keeping him around.

I don't get why anyone cares about these 3. We need way better players all around to actually win anything going forward.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

I don't get why anyone cares about these 3. We need way better players all around to actually win anything going forward.

Mostly because we have very very, very little confidence in our front office's ability to replace them with equal or better talent.
Bird in hand...
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users