ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars
"If they weren't the Red Bulls wouldn't be in this mess."

i think they tried bringing up the name
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

Dir. of Football Operations

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs

Management has made bad decisions, and this has basically ended the season. But NONE of this has anything to do with the RB name.

and the #1 bad management decision was to re-brand. FACT.

Every little problem will always come back to this.

Or perhaps you have convinced yourself that there is some kind of 'pride' in this ....

http://apps.facebook.com/nyrbscarf/
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

metro bomaye!

metro bomaye!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Supports:METRO | Betis

Justify that statement, if you please.

Red Bull Out

CRSvideo

CRSvideo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Or perhaps you have convinced yourself that there is some kind of 'pride' in this ....

http://apps.facebook.com/nyrbscarf/

And all the problems and lack of success that the team had for all those years before the rebrand also I suppose must come from the rebrand as well. Why not?

As was said before, the article is spot on and all the issues have nothing to do with the name change. Were you really so much happier when the team was named after it's previous owner Metromedia? It took me years to get over the idea that the team for NY was named Metrostars. As a name for a team it really was pretty horrible.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
lol I love how he tries to turn this into another brand debate when the article made no such argument.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Red Bull's priorities in owning a soccer team here are not the same as yours as a fan of this team. The first move they ever made was to rename the team. As far as the on-the-field stuff, when your bosses are 3,000 miles away there is no effective accountability.

If Red Bull had kept the MetroStars name but done everything else exactly the same, would the team be better right now?

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Were you really so much happier when the team was named after it's previous owner Metromedia?

Wow, didn't take long for that fallacy to make an appearance. It's amazing that people repeat this completely asinine statement despite the fact that it is entirely untrue and has been proven false repeatedly.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

If Red Bull had kept the MetroStars name but done everything else exactly the same, would the team be better right now?

This argument is nonsense because it never would have happened. The primary aim in buying the team was to promote the lifestyle brand with a secondary aim of winning. Hence the lack of marketing money for the team, the neglect of the Open Cup, the meaningless tournaments in the middle of the season. The name blows but the fact that being a successful team on the field is secondary to being a vehicle for advertising Red Bull is worse.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Wow, didn't take long for that fallacy to make an appearance. It's amazing that people repeat this completely asinine statement despite the fact that it is entirely untrue and has been proven false repeatedly.

I know there are a lot of people who say that the MetroStars' name had nothing to do with Metromedia. Personally, I don't know and I don't really care, but 5 minutes on the internet turned up this:

"The stations were part of Mr. Kluge's Metromedia telecommunications conglomerate, which at various times counted among its holdings the Ice Capades, the Harlem Globetrotters, Playbill magazine and a billboard advertising company. The New York MetroStars were named after Metromedia."

http://www.newjersey...n-kluge-95-dies

I'm guessing you would chalk the above quote up to lazy journalism (and maybe it is lazy journalism), but why do you say the statement is entirely untrue?

EstonianAssassin

EstonianAssassin

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Tottenham

and that's without even touching on the 'name issue' ...

because the name issue isn't relevant. How many records do you have left in your collection? Aren't they all broken yet?

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

This argument is nonsense because it never would have happened. The primary aim in buying the team was to promote the lifestyle brand with a secondary aim of winning. Hence the lack of marketing money for the team, the neglect of the Open Cup, the meaningless tournaments in the middle of the season. The name blows but the fact that being a successful team on the field is secondary to being a vehicle for advertising Red Bull is worse.

Well, humor me and imagine that it did happen, and then answer the question.

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars
Man, I miss living the Metromedia lifestyle of JNCO Jeans and Broadcasting Licenses.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Well, humor me and imagine that it did happen, and then answer the question.

But why? That would be like asking a staunch Democrat "just pretend Sarah Palin is a Liberal, would you vote for her?"

All of my problems with Red Bull are due to their mixed up priorities. If they didn't rename the team in the first place it would mean their priorities would be different than the actual team we have. Which in turns means we likely would be in a different situation. No matter how I answered the question it would be meaningless.

EstonianAssassin

EstonianAssassin

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Tottenham

"If they weren't the Red Bulls wouldn't be in this mess."

i think they tried bringing up the name

That's not the way of the sentence structure. You're reading it as:
If they weren't the Red Bulls, they wouldn't be in this mess.

I tihnk w hat he means is:
If they weren't, the Red Bulls wouldn't be in this mess.

Directly related to the sentence before it: This is not a team, but mostly a collection of men who play together.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Would Wikipedia lie?

"Team owners John Kluge and Stuart Subotnick were executives at the company Metromedia, leading to the inclusion of "Metro" as part of the soccer team's name."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users