General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Doesn't he have one as a player?

Yes, he does. With DC in '04. I was referring to his managerial life. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This...

It just doesn't make sense to think that he was under orders to field a 2nd team during the Open Cup. 

Doesn't make sense to me either, what changed from then to now? Clearly Jesse isn't under the same orders and if those orders were actually coming from the owners or anyone in Austria why did they do a complete reverse on the open cup when he took over? The reason sure as hell ain't from a town hall meeting with 100 people.

Do you remember how Petke got the job?  RB's first choice couldn't get a work permit or something and they were left late without many options and Mike already on the staff.  Do you remember how many times there were rumors that RB was close to firing Petke?  It was pretty often.  The team was never behind Petke they way they have been behind Marsch.  You don't hear rumors about Marsch getting fired, you hear rumors they want to "promote" to manage Salzburg.  They fired the GM that did their dirty work in firing Petke to keep Marsch happy.

Given all that, it's not hard to see Mike not prioritizing competitions that his bosses don't prioritize.  And, Marsch feeling safe enough that he can.  This argument doesn't even cover the fact you can't have your best player play against used car salesman on high school pitches when he's 35+.  Too much risk to whatever was left of his career and the rest of the season.

I was no fan of Petke as a coach.  I'm glad he's doing well now, but I think the days of the hard-nosed, motivational coaches are over and you need tacticians more than ever. Our problem now is that Marsch hasn't looked like much of a tactician recently.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Good for Petke. I will be rooting for RSL in the playoffs.

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

Yes, he does. With DC in '04.

So...then...no, he doesn't have a cup yet.

Rooting so hard for Petke and RSL right now. The ultimate That's So Metro MLS Cup Final? RSL vs. Fire.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I was no fan of Petke as a coach.  I'm glad he's doing well now, but I think the days of the hard-nosed, motivational coaches are over and you need tacticians more than ever.

Have you watched RSL lately?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Have you watched RSL lately?

Mike gave the team the kick in the ass they needed (getting healthy and their young players returning from the U20 Workd Cup were also key). He's done well and deserves a huge amount of credit. Let's see how well his style works in years two and three when it's not as fresh. I hope I'm wrong.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Mike gave the team the kick in the ass they needed (getting healthy and their young players returning from the U20 Workd Cup were also key). He's done well and deserves a huge amount of credit. Let's see how well his style works in years two and three when it's not as fresh. I hope I'm wrong.

Whatever his "style" is right now they're a fun team to watch. So I'm not sure about whatever narrative people are trying to write about Petke and his style.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Doesn't he have one as a player?

With DC, who gave us an aging Pope... It kills me every single time I think of Mike wearing a DC shirt and lifting the cup.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

The "show  up your old boss who let you go by succeeding with your new job" paradigm was best done by Julie Andrews. Would like to see Mike do likewise.

https://www.buzzfeed...rm8#.noE40gQEDB

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Petke is the GOAT. Glad to see him succeeding. Curtis is a dummy, YEAH!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Petke is the GOAT. Glad to see him succeeding. Curtis is a dummy, YEAH!

For some reason my phone won't let me like posts, so consider this a like for quoting Eli Drake.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Someone please explain to me what GOAT means.
Thanks

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Someone please explain to me what GOAT means.
Thanks

Greatest Of All Time

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
Salt showed balls last night equalizing in the 94th minute after playing down a man since the 15th minute.

Balls.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
https://www.mlssocce...ck-why-im-sport

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users