71 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
I think the most likely scenario is the PA coming closer to or outright accepting the shitty deal that the league put on the table.

Without the possibility of these players getting moves to play elsewhere they could potentially be out of work until the summer window, and this league isnt the MLB, NBA, or NHL where the average earner makes over $1 million.

Most of these guys probably couldnt survive a lockout financially.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Get the vibe that the league is being crappy partners. Sort of using coronavirus as an excuse.

Anyone have an opinion? I am not too well read on the negotiation. 

Thinking this is affecting player acquisition. I wouldn't want to go on loan/be sold into a league that might not be playing and who knows if I'll get paid.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,918 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

The league's got no probs with guys going out for a loan for ~6months, tho. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

The league's got no probs with guys going out for a loan for ~6months, tho. 

I'm being dense - what do you mean by this?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,918 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Daryl Dike from ORL just scored a loan to Barnsley. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Listened to the Total Soccer Show Allocation disorder podcast about the CBA while shoveling - their opinion is MLS owners are worried about negotiating a new CBA fresh off 2026 world cup when they would need to harness the likely enthusiasm from the WC. They are using the Coronavirus as an excuse to push that negotiation back a year.  

Sounded plausible to me. 

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
The WC is a lame excuse by the Owners. A WC, especially hosting one, doesnt happen every year! Do right by the players and ride the momentum of the WC.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

The WC is a lame excuse by the Owners. A WC, especially hosting one, doesnt happen every year! Do right by the players and ride the momentum of the WC.

The argument is that the owners really want to ride the momentum, so they will not have leverage. The players could ask for anything and the owners would almost have to go along with it. 

Extending the CBA from 2026 to 2027 (players already agreed to an additional year in June and said they would agree to one more year) has nothing to do the pandemic we are in today.   

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Garber said the league lost what? $1 billion? Admittedly Im being very insensitive to the business side here but $1 billion split between how many billionaires in this league? 27? Thats $38 million per owner.

The owners know theyll make up that money over time. MLS has always been a long term investment and a very good one at that given its growth.

The rich get richer when they get to write the rules of the market. Everyone elses income stalls. The gap widens.

The players already made some concessions. Im not sure they needed to but they did. Taking away a World Cup bump from them isnt surprising but is an absolutely disgusting example of corporate greed.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Very cynical approach by Garber and the league... profiteering off a pandemic. Garber is basically arguing that they want the 2027 season revenue to offset 2020, which is bullshit.  

In the midst of half a million Americans dying, Garber saw an angle to make the next CBA negotiation in 2026 and 2027 easier for owners.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Very cynical approach by Garber and the league... profiteering off a pandemic. Garber is basically arguing that they want the 2027 season revenue to offset 2020, which is bullshit.  

In the midst of half a million Americans dying, Garber saw an angle to make the next CBA negotiation in 2026 and 2027 easier for owners.

It might make him a good businessman, but it also makes him a piece of shit.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

It might make him a good businessman, but it also makes him a piece of shit.

honestly i feel like the players have a good argument that compared to June the current landscape doesnt merit a "force majeure" being used.  But they also cant risk the long court process when some guys make so little. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,191 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I dont understand what the issue is between the union and league.

Why is it bad to have the 2027 season offset 2020?

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

honestly i feel like the players have a good argument that compared to June the current landscape doesnt merit a "force majeure" being used.  But they also cant risk the long court process when some guys make so little. 

The league got MLS is back following the June 2020 agreement. Now they want something else when everyone knew how the pandemic would play out in June. Its really dishonest business - particularly Garber writing an open letter to fans that is obviously designed to pull the wool over fans eyes. 

Side note: a lockout would mean all players are free agents... BUT, FIFA rules say that as they wouldn't be free agents until 2/4 and the Euro window closed 2/1, then free agents would have to wait until the next summer window to sign back in Europe. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Ownership has the upper hand because they can suffer a long drawn out work stoppage and legal battle. Theyre probably more incentivized now since there may not be live in person sports till the summer. Hey if were not gonna make that money we may as well make it up by screwing the players.

Of course one calculation they will have to make is how much and to what extent is the damage to their public image and the league as a whole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users