71 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

I dont understand what the issue is between the union and league.

Why is it bad to have the 2027 season offset 2020?

So, the 2026 World Cup is in the US. The MLS season immediately following that could have a lot of buzz. MLS does not want to have to negotiate a CBA right around the World Cup - they feel the players would have an advantage in that case as the owners and league wants to ride the World Cup enthusiasm. 

In June 2020, the owners got a CBA extension from 2024 to 2025 and also inserted a clause that if something unforeseen happens they can renegotiate.

In December 2020, the owners enacted the unforeseen event clause (citing Covid) and basically have demanded that the current CBA be extended to 2027. The players came back with a split the difference offer of 2026 and the owners said no, we will lock you all out and cancel the agreement we made 6 months ago. The unspoken reason being not wanting to negotiate a new CBA right in advance of the expected world cup buzz and the spoken reason presented to all of us fans being that Covid was tough financially.   

This is my understanding at least.  

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

When the Ownerships fuck the players and MLS becomes irrelevant, like the NASL, then they'll see how much this posturing was worth it. Find a middle ground. The MLSPA has bent over backwards to date.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,295 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
In a battle between owners and players,
I would expect fans to side with players.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

It might make him a good businessman, but it also makes him a piece of shit.

I think that is literally the job description.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

So, the 2026 World Cup is in the US. The MLS season immediately following that could have a lot of buzz. MLS does not want to have to negotiate a CBA right around the World Cup - they feel the players would have an advantage in that case as the owners and league wants to ride the World Cup enthusiasm. 

In June 2020, the owners got a CBA extension from 2024 to 2025 and also inserted a clause that if something unforeseen happens they can renegotiate.

In December 2020, the owners enacted the unforeseen event clause (citing Covid) and basically have demanded that the current CBA be extended to 2027. The players came back with a split the difference offer of 2026 and the owners said no, we will lock you all out and cancel the agreement we made 6 months ago. The unspoken reason being not wanting to negotiate a new CBA right in advance of the expected world cup buzz and the spoken reason presented to all of us fans being that Covid was tough financially.   

This is my understanding at least.  

Thanks. Well it can go both ways. I can see why the owners want to delay the labor contract to not have a distraction of a labor dispute in a critical MLS season. Players prob want to use wc buzz to inflate their earning potential but it could also back fire.

No one knows what that bump is going to be. In 96, I remember some games had an attendance over 45k and our stars were donadoni and tab ramos. No disrespect to them, great players, but they not the same quality of signing as henry.

The bump will be real and if the owners sign a few stars from the WC it could create a lot of momentum. it will probably be bigger than 96. Personally... i rather know what that bump is instead of dealing with hypotheticals.

Now if you believe there will be no bump.. you dont want the date to change.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Thanks. Well it can go both ways. I can see why the owners want to delay the labor contract to not have a distraction of a labor dispute in a critical MLS season. Players prob want to use wc buzz to inflate their earning potential but it could also back fire.

No one knows what that bump is going to be. In 96, I remember some games had an attendance over 45k and our stars were donadoni and tab ramos. No disrespect to them, great players, but they not the same quality of signing as henry.

The bump will be real and if the owners sign a few stars from the WC it could create a lot of momentum. it will probably be bigger than 96. Personally... i rather know what that bump is instead of dealing with hypotheticals.

The players gave the owners TWO more years! The contract was through 2024! TWO years! TWO!!! Along with other economic concessions!

Wtf else should the players give them? Firstborns?! Would THAT be satisfactory?!

Point being the players gave Ownership a lot back. The fact that they are pushing for 2027 is disgusting.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,295 posts

... players gave Ownership a lot back.

No one goes to games to see the owners.
I say this knowing that if DM said he was coming to an RBNY home game at RBA, some additional fans might actually show up to see him in person.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

The players gave the owners TWO more years! The contract was through 2024! TWO years! TWO!!! Along with other economic concessions!

Wtf else should the players give them? Firstborns?! Would THAT be satisfactory?!

Point being the players gave Ownership a lot back. The fact that they are pushing for 2027 is disgusting.

Yeah. Gave two years because of covid. The owners are using covid to get over the 2026 hurdle. An appropriate deal would be to tell the players lets renegotiate in 2024. That would get the MLS past covid (lets hope) and put them 2 years before WC. 

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Remember that the owners are claiming the push from 2025 to 2027 is due to Covid. Players already pushed the date from from 2024 to 2025 just in June due to Covid. The owners said that since June, something new and unexpected has occurred. Players said we dont agree, but will split difference and push the date to 2026 in good faith. Owners said screw you - 2027 or lock out.   

Garber wrote a letter to all of us saying that the reason is Covid, but the real reason (as I view it) is the WC. I think its wrong to be disingenuous about motives about this topic (covid) at this time. I've really lost a bunch of respect for the league. I hope the players call their bluff and get some FIFA involvement and single entity dies. Viva promotion/relegation!

Also - I appreciate the discussion, if even for devils advocate purposes. Too many echo chambers these days.  There will definitely be a bump after the WC, I think in part  because the USMNT is shaping up to have some real world class stars. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
It is 100% based on the World Cup.

Covid is a convenient excuse.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

No one goes to games to see the owners.
I say this knowing that if DM said he was coming to an RBNY home game at RBA, some additional fans might actually show up to see him in person.

Hed get a warm welcome.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

advanced stages now.  Lockout looking less likely than it did 2 days ago.

https://twitter.com/...463962665824264

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

advanced stages now.  Lockout looking less likely than it did 2 days ago.

https://twitter.com/...463962665824264

...continue to meet daily to address the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the league...

So were gonna keep peddling this bullshit Mr. Garber?

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

It is 100% based on the World Cup.

Covid is a convenient excuse.

Agreed. I believe MLS owners tried very hard to include this force majeure clause in the last CBA before Covid even happened. They were probably hoping to use some pretext to activate it and extend past the WC anyway.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,295 posts

I believe MLS owners tried very hard to include this force majeure clause in the last CBA before Covid even happened. They were probably hoping to use some pretext to activate it and extend past the WC anyway.

So, you blame MLS owners for Covid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users