102 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,029 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Well, sounds like he's not coming over here on a free or a minimal transfer. 

what makes you say that

"New York Red Bulls have agreed a fee with Celtic to sign Cameron Harper.

The Major League Soccer outfit and the Hoops have thrashed out an undisclosed fee that will see the 19-year-old return to his homeland with immediate effect."

https://www.dailyrec...arture-23438724

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Efried

Efried

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"New York Red Bulls have agreed a fee with Celtic to sign Cameron Harper.
The Major League Soccer outfit and the Hoops have thrashed out an undisclosed fee that will see the 19-year-old return to his homeland with immediate effect."
https://www.dailyrec...arture-23438724

oh thought he meant not coming over at all this could still be a minimal fee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,029 posts

oh thought he meant not coming over at all this could still be a minimal fee

"Minimal fee," here, is redundant.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
I think we all would have preferred a proven goal scorer...but the business model is train them up and ship them out.

So from corporate perspective I guess their work at forward is done. FML.

On to signing a LB and a midfielder.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,774 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Will he see more time with RB2 or with the 1st team? One game in the SPL is not much to go on, I guess. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Will he see more time with RB2 or with the 1st team? One game in the SPL is not much to go on, I guess. 

I would guess RB's pitch was for first team minutes, otherwise he should have resigned with Celtic. They wanted him. 

This is reserves from 2 months ago, but he's playing as RW:  Goals: Celtic Colts 3-0 Rangers | Derby delight in City of Glasgow Cup! - YouTube I think he looks like he has some real talent and good anticipation. 2 goals. To dumbo me, he doesn't look far from an MLS starter. 

I'd see him in a two striker set up on the right with Royer/Fabio or new DP on left... not sure he'll be up to the level we would need, but I suspect he'll be given the opportunity. Front two with another technical player (my crush Haska) would be entertaining.

We are going to have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to mid-level attackers! I do think Fabio and Harper are an upgrade over White and Barlow, for whatever that's worth.  But still feels like we need someone at a higher level. 

Efried

Efried

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

I would guess RB's pitch was for first team minutes, otherwise he should have resigned with Celtic. They wanted him. 

This is reserves from 2 months ago, but he's playing as RW:  Goals: Celtic Colts 3-0 Rangers | Derby delight in City of Glasgow Cup! - YouTube I think he looks like he has some real talent and good anticipation. 2 goals. To dumbo me, he doesn't look far from an MLS starter. 

I'd see him in a two striker set up on the right with Royer/Fabio or new DP on left... not sure he'll be up to the level we would need, but I suspect he'll be given the opportunity. Front two with another technical player (my crush Haska) would be entertaining.

We are going to have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to mid-level attackers! I do think Fabio and Harper are an upgrade over White and Barlow, for whatever that's worth.  But still feels like we need someone at a higher level. 

another thing to note is when in a u-20 camp that saw USMNT scrimmage u-20 he impressed berhalter enough to earn training time with the full national team

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

another thing to note is when in a u-20 camp that saw USMNT scrimmage u-20 he impressed berhalter enough to earn training time with the full national team

I expect big things from Harper this year - coming to RB seems like a smart and driven decision. RBNY is sort of a shortcut, dangerous stepping stone for him. If he fails, he is an MLS player. If he succeeds, he could be playing champions league soccer in 2-3 years. 

I wonder what his contract length will be. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,029 posts

I expect big things from Harper this year - coming to RB seems like a smart and driven decision. RBNY is sort of a shortcut, dangerous stepping stone for him. If he fails, he is an MLS player. If he succeeds, he could be playing champions league soccer in 2-3 years. 

I wonder what his contract length will be. 

If he fails, he's out of the game or playing in USL.  Being an MLS player is not a failure, and there are an almost limitless range of options, for someone his age, between MLS and Champions league.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

If he fails, he's out of the game or playing in USL.  Being an MLS player is not a failure, and there are an almost limitless range of options, for someone his age, between MLS and Champions league.

I was obviously being overly simplistic and hyperbolic - did not mean to bash MLS. I was more pointing to the reluctance of US guys to come back from Europe to play in MLS. Harper was wanted by Celtic. He apparently thought he could accelerate his aspirations (presumably to play first team European soccer) by coming to Red Bull.

He may feel like he is in a "do or die" situation in regards to his goals. That mentality can be a good thing.    

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Coronel was officially announced, but Harper still hasn't been... 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,774 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

60-90 days. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Maybe some MLS "discovery" bullshit? One of the CA teams trying to get some cash? Someone said that wasn't the case, but who knows. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users