Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

edit - https://twitter.com/...9155074/photo/1

Talks about importance of USL to young player development - 3 players are NYRB Toure Hot and Dalton

And Serge Ngoma.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Supports:Metro

this is great.  Any chance of further write up on the additional players you mention after ofori?
U 14 and 15 would be hard to jump
What about the ex smurf and the CBs?

edit - https://twitter.com/...9155074/photo/1

Talks about importance of USL to young player development - 3 players are NYRB Toure Hot and Dalton

may do that after I talk to Woly or around January if I can talk to Sean about academy so I have a clear idea

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,842 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Will there be an RBII in USL in 2021?
https://theathletic....ves-league-usl/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Efried

Efried

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Will there be an RBII in USL in 2021?
https://theathletic....ves-league-usl/

the article you linked specifically notes rb2 intends to continue in usl

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Hope we choose to stay in the USL. Doubt that the new MLS reserve league will have a level of competition close to what we have now in the USL. I'm still thinking back to how little attention was paid to the old MLS reserve league. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Hope we choose to stay in the USL. Doubt that the new MLS reserve league will have a level of competition close to what we have now in the USL. I'm still thinking back to how little attention was paid to the old MLS reserve league. 

The old reserve league was a complete joke. Whatever the new one looks like will be a billion times better. It cant not be IMO.

That being said if I had to guess then Id agree the level of competition would be better if we stayed in USL.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts
USL has a love-hate business relationship with MLS.

It likes having MLS quality players (when they have half the starters as MLS contract guys) and teams that want to be competitive rather than just develop players. They see some spikes in attendance when MLS reserve teams visit other cities with some MLS quality players.

They hate the MLS teams that don't take it seriously (constant poor results, fielding all youth players, awful attendance, playing at subpar stadiums that just make the cutoff for D2/D3 status, etc...).

While NYRBII has a subpar atmosphere for the USLC level, they have tried to make MSU home and this is the first year the team wasn't competitive.

USL kindly asked many MLS teams to move to League 1, but a legit MLS reserve league might serve as a better environment than USL League 1. Pro quality order would be: MLS, USL Championship, MLS Reserve League, USL League 1, NISA.

Regardless, the old MLS reserve league was a joke. They played the morning after the MLS game and guys legit showed up hungover in many cases. They would play with 10 men on occasion, end games after a team got 2 red cards, shorten games to 30 minute halves, and backup players would legitimately be employees that may or may not have played in college.

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,377 posts

There is a clear benefit playing in the USL against "real" teams. Those teams CARE about the outcome. If there was a MLS reserve league, who would care?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Regardless, the old MLS reserve league was a joke. They played the morning after the MLS game and guys legit showed up hungover in many cases. They would play with 10 men on occasion, end games after a team got 2 red cards, shorten games to 30 minute halves, 

this sounds like my club team in college

good to hear the other points though.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

There is a clear benefit playing in the USL against "real" teams. Those teams CARE about the outcome. If there was a MLS reserve league, who would care?

There are obviously way of incentivizing it. Question is: Will they?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,842 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the article you linked specifically notes rb2 intends to continue in usl

I could only read as far as the paywall.
Anything about independent USL teams wanting MLSIIs out?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

100% agree. Guys with potential also get to play against guys who are borderline mls players. A good step before they jump to mls.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,379 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

maybe the MLS reserve league would be a step down from USL League 1? i think the Reserve league would feature young HGs and former academy products, a fully professional version of the PDL U23 team, hopefully? i do like that the team wants to stay in USL, but iirc, PHI ORL POR are pulling their reserve teams from USLC/L1

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts
A few familiar faces from NYRBII/U23s/Academy playing for USL Cups.

USL Championship:
Tampa Bay Rowdies (HGP Evan Louro, II's Jordan Scarlett, academy's Adam Najem) v Phoenix Rising (II's Junior Flemmings; suspended, II's Jose Aguinaga, U23's Joe Farrell)

USL League 1:
Union Omaha (II's Rashid Nuhu, academy's Ethan Vancore-Decker) v Greenville Triumph (U23's Colin Stripling, former asst coach John Harkes is the Head Coach)

@CurseofCaricola

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2

A few familiar faces from NYRBII/U23s/Academy playing for USL Cups.

USL Championship:
Tampa Bay Rowdies (HGP Evan Louro, II's Jordan Scarlett, academy's Adam Najem) v Phoenix Rising (II's Junior Flemmings; suspended, II's Jose Aguinaga, U23's Joe Farrell)

USL League 1:
Union Omaha (II's Rashid Nuhu, academy's Ethan Vancore-Decker) v Greenville Triumph (U23's Colin Stripling, former asst coach John Harkes is the Head Coach)

I watched the PHX game last night, was a really exciting match. Very interesting to see that Nuhu is Omaha starting GK, I thought he was woeful with us, just like lapsley this season surprised he turned out to nail down a position on a good team this year.

Without much going on these days I will probably watch both finals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users