164 replies to this topic

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

How is he good hire? Other than a short burst of PR that is?

Cantona is a personality no doubt, but a Director of Football? I'd rather have some unknown fella who might have some, you know, managerial experience.

Show me a stadium deal and maybe I will take any of this seriously, until then it's all just a bunch of circle jerking.

Haven't you heard? "The Cosmos" are light years ahead of Red Bulls already.

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Haven't you heard? "The Cosmos" are light years ahead of Red Bulls already.

In sticker and tee shirt distribution, yes I have.

I used to have a couple of funny things here but I can no longer find them.

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs

In sticker and tee shirt distribution, yes I have.

such bitterness towards the Cosmos
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

such bitterness towards the Cosmos

No- Cosmos Fans. and Cosmos ver 2

I am the proud owner of a Signed poster by Pele advertising his last game vs Santos hanging in my office.

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts

No- Cosmos Fans. and Cosmos ver 2

I am the proud owner of a Signed poster by Pele advertising his last game vs Santos hanging in my office.

I would have some empathy towards you if the team you currently follow wasn't named after an energy drink.

Will your son proudly hang a Thierry Henry poster in his office in 20 years I wonder ?

ediddy

ediddy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
Only time will tell my friend.

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars
Seems like there will be some Everton-Liverpool and RBNY-NY2 similarities for fans in the future.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts

Seems like there will be some Everton-Liverpool and RBNY-NY2 similarities for fans in the future.

Not quite, but it will be interesting.

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars

Not quite, but it will be interesting.

time line is pretty close, but yea.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

Obviously the history and following are more then worlds apart but you're right there are some similarities.

Cosmos/Metro are the same and they paved the way for RB, much like Everton paved the way for LFC.

Both LFC/Everton play close to each other and the same will hold true when the Cosmos move into GS, all be it temporarily.

RB leftovers will be the same sort of blind sheep like Everton. While the LFC supporters are the passionate ones who demand quality much like Metro/Cosmos supporters, minus the Boro Bitches... RB or FCNY can have them.

Should be a good rivalry in two years. Corporate shills & sheep vs. The tride and true footballing supporters.

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

Cosmos/Metro are the same

how do you figure? The cosmos won trophies, the metros did not. The cosmos had an all-star roster for many years, Metro for the most part did not. The cosmos and their spending habbits led to the demise of NASL by making the other teams believe the only way to win championships was to buy big name players. Unfortunately the other team's owners couldn't afford the players they signed and bankruptcy throughout the league ensued. The owner of the cosmo's name actually refused to let the MLS start-up team use the name, resulting in the birth of metro rather than a MLS team by the name cosmos. The only thing the two teams have in common is having been the NY area team in the highest US league of their times and playing in giants stadium.

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

Obviously the history and following are more then worlds apart but you're right there are some similarities.

Cosmos/Metro are the same and they paved the way for RB, much like Everton paved the way for LFC.

Both LFC/Everton play close to each other and the same will hold true when the Cosmos move into GS, all be it temporarily.

RB leftovers will be the same sort of blind sheep like Everton. While the LFC supporters are the passionate ones who demand quality much like Metro/Cosmos supporters, minus the Boro Bitches... RB or FCNY can have them.

Should be a good rivalry in two years. Corporate shills & sheep vs. The tride and true footballing supporters.

:lol:
For the sake of argument, granting you the laughable idea that Cosmos/Metro are one and RB is separate.
So, Cosmos/Metro paved the way for RB like Everton paved the way for LFC. And professor says that the team that paves the way ends up being the team of blind sheep without passion. And you say Everton is like this. Well, wouldn't the Cosmos be that way too following your logic?
:lol:

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

Grimnitz

Grimnitz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hertha BSC, FC Harlem

...snip... Unless some oil barron comes in (not totally out of the question)...

BP is looking to make some money back and the colors already match.
Posted Image
"What do I have to do to get you into my van?"~Konrad

“Sellouts are extremely important to us for what we're trying to start here.”-Chris Heck
http://www.facebook.com/VikingArmySC

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

how do you figure? The cosmos won trophies, the metros did not. The cosmos had an all-star roster for many years, Metro for the most part did not. The cosmos and their spending habbits led to the demise of NASL by making the other teams believe the only way to win championships was to buy big name players. Unfortunately the other team's owners couldn't afford the players they signed and bankruptcy throughout the league ensued. The owner of the cosmo's name actually refused to let the MLS start-up team use the name, resulting in the birth of metro rather than a MLS team by the name cosmos. The only thing the two teams have in common is having been the NY area team in the highest US league of their times and playing in giants stadium.

Metro always acknowledged the Cosmos and did their best to tie in their history to the club. Of course the Cosmos had massive names and actually won trophies but the league rules were night and day. I won't for a moment say that the success on the pitch by both were equal or even in the same world but Metro did go well out of their way to tie the past and present together, MLS league rules prevented them from building a team of the same ilk as the Cosmos. However as I mentioned, Metro did their best to not shun the past but respect it and build a short bridge to tie the two together. Pepe was the wrench in the works, it would of been Cosmos not Metros if it wasn't for his greed and thankfully the Cosmos are no longer a soccer camp in Ramapo but now on it's way back to it's rightful place as the NYC/NJ's true team.

I think we can all agree that yet another RB bashing session isn't needed but for the sake of this topic and my own hallowed words, RB has gone the opposite route of Metro in distancing themselves from our region's history. They have and still do go well out of their way to erase and forget our roots with the same zestful enthusiasm they have to further push their product. Given the above ties and additional nods to the past like Metro acknowledging Tab as coming home to his original team ( don't forget he was a Cosmos boy ) and RB going to great lengths such as airbrushing Metro supporters out of their marketing material, I think it's rather obvious that the lineage of our footballing region goes, Cosmos, Eagles/Centaurs, Metros and is now moving back to the Cosmos. Gio will be there and a few of the other old boys will be around too, it's going to be as sweet as the taurine filled silver cans that will be heard rattling around in a half empty million dollar display case in Harrison.

For the record, those who follow RB and only knew RB... they are fine by me. I won't like them because they support the soon to be second team in our area but it's all they have and know so I respect that. The one's who followed Metro and chucked their kits for corporate rags, they are the true enemy and will be the ones I will enjoy listening to crying as their club becomes second fiddle to the Mighty Metro/Cosmos. Georgio is douche but so was Charlie and so was Pepe but damn was it a wild ride and I wouldn't trade any of it away, not for a Henry or a Stadium and thankfully it's not all for naught as the Cosmos are coming back.

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
"Kemsley has bought up the name and rights for $2m"
I wonder, how much was cash & how much was IOUs?

So, is Eric the trawler, the seagull, or the sardine? :unsure:

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users