• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
We need to invest in some quality players when the transfer window opens. Like maybe a promising starlet from the Swaziland 3rd division.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Does it bother anyone that everyone here keeps throwing out XI's and we still don't know which is our best XI?

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Does it bother anyone that everyone here keeps throwing out XI's and we still don't know which is our best XI?

No, why? We're 8 games into the season. Knowing our best XI this early in the season would be cause for concern and/or complacency. It would also mean we have a shitty roster.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
We have good young players who need more minutes if we're going to see the benifits in the future. If no one is comfortable with that then I guess we can wait for another incredible Veron signing this summer. Surely that will fix our woes.

We have to suffer through the growing pains of our youngsters and demand more of our higher paid veterans. Guys like Ettiene, Davis, Muyl, and Adams have been making very VERY good plays so far this year. They simply aren't finished products yet and they aren't going to get there if we bail on them now.

The youth movement isn't the problem.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

We have good young players who need more minutes if we're going to see the benifits in the future. If no one is comfortable with that then I guess we can wait for another incredible Veron signing this summer. Surely that will fix our woes.

We have to suffer through the growing pains of our youngsters and demand more of our higher paid veterans. Guys like Ettiene, Davis, Muyl, and Adams have been making very VERY good plays so far this year. They simply aren't finished products yet and they aren't going to get there if we bail on them now.

The youth movement isn't the problem.

THIS + Long
If Sacha or Royer were half as good as last year there would be less of an issue.
Really looking forward to Lade hustle and quality being back.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

We need to know our formation before we know our best XI for the formation.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think our best 11 is:

BWP

Gulbrandsen

Sacha

Royer

Adams

Felipe

Taxi

Long

Collin

Lade

You go a 4-2-2-2 and Sacha is out of position.  You go a 4-2-3-1 and Gulbrandsen is out of position.  Basically we should go for a 4-2-3-1 because Sacha is our best player and you MUST have him in his best position to win.   Or go with the 4-2-2-2 and move Sacha back with Felipe.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You go a 4-2-2-2 and Sacha is out of position.  You go a 4-2-3-1 and Gulbrandsen is out of position.  Basically we should go for a 4-2-3-1 because Sacha is our best player and you MUST have him in his best position to win.   Or go with the 4-2-2-2 and move Sacha back with Felipe.

How about Gulbrandsen as a Grella-esque winger, which is really just a forward who starts his runs from the left side. Might give us a little more bite going forward compared to Etienne or Muyl, and hopefully not too strange of a positional change for Gulbrandsen.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

How about Gulbrandsen as a Grella-esque winger, which is really just a forward who starts his runs from the left side. Might give us a little more bite going forward compared to Etienne or Muyl, and hopefully not too strange of a positional change for Gulbrandsen.

Yep.. Have no problem with this at all.

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Signed in just to say FUCK DC. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

When might that have been?

agreed

BWP does best when he can be the closest one to goal.. And a 442 or a 4222 keeps Sacha too far from goal.... The problem has been lapse in concentration and getting lax at times in CM and the backline..... Time to bring back 4231... And it's maybe time to bring in additions because it's great to have guys from the academy.. But I don't feel like seeing this season thrown away just so academy kids can cut their teeth.. They can do thay playing USOC and garbage time in blow outs...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

We need to know our formation before we know our best XI for the formation.    

Fair point. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Mentioned it a while back.  It was only a matter of time before we reverted back to the 4-2-3-1 and Gulbrandsen was forced out to the wing like everyone else.

Serious question:  Is it a problem that Sasha can't be deployed anywhere other than centrally at the #10?  Thus forcing us to play 2 other mids beind him to clean up?  Thus forcing us into a lone forward setup?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Serious question:  Is it a problem that Sasha can't be deployed anywhere other than centrally at the #10?  Thus forcing us to play 2 other mids beind him to clean up?  Thus forcing us into a lone forward setup?

Yes.  Sacha is great, but his lack of positional versatility limits our ability to vary the look we give other teams.  Against bad teams that is not an issue, but against good teams it is.  So if Sacha does not perform at an All-star level or close to it we don't really have another look to give people.  I honestly think the high pressure system works better with two forwards as well, which does not agree withour current personnel, since we have to accommodate Sacha

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Yes.  Sacha is great, but his lack of positional versatility limits our ability to vary the look we give other teams.  Against bad teams that is not an issue, but against good teams it is.  So if Sacha does not perform at an All-star level or close to it we don't really have another look to give people.  I honestly think the high pressure system works better with two forwards as well, which does not agree withour current personnel, since we have to accommodate Sacha

So our performance is directly tied to Sasha and this formation. As Sasha goes we go. If he isn't performing on the day we're not gonna get the job done.

If we had one of the best defensive lines in the league this wouldn't be as big an issue. We could rest assured that even if Sasha is having a bad day we've got a great chance at a clean sheet. Or if it's the playoffs we've got a great chance at extra time and/or PKs.

So AGAIN: We need a CB. Possibly a RB too.

And I'll beat the dead horse AGAIN and repeat that we should have gotten a McBride/Ching type in the off season. Some veteran locker room guy. When Sasha has a bad day we'd be able to hang our hat on the defense and have a better shot at banging home a set piece goal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users