45 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

like I said  - Mickey Mouse tourney Silver Boot winner - you heard it here first!

Hed have to play for that to happen, but its about time to see what hes got

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Hed have to play for that to happen, but its about time to see what hes got

All were going to get is Armas saying that he may get a chance during the tournament, only for him not to play and leave the team in the offseason

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Maybe he spent the lockdown transforming himself into a superstar!

Honestly a few months in the weight room would probably do the kid a lot of good. I remember one of his few appearances was up against Kendall Waston, I'm pretty sure Waston's breathe alone was enough to toss the kid aside

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

I've even got concerns about White, he was a tap-in machine in 2019 but Armas is now asking him to play an expanded role that I'm not sure he's suited for.

https://nypost.com/2...g-lockdown/amp/

White has been hitting the books. He should be ready to go. #mlsisback

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Im probably got start hitting books too. Probably seen all movies worthwhile. Really sad that this is the best news we can get on the status of our forward line.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,582 posts

:-)

notice the straight trolling about League 1 pub league..... LOL

https://www.mlssocce...ands-their-no-9

Brian White & Tom Barlow – New York Red Bulls

• Team Commitment Level: Tenuous
  • Expectation Level: All-out effort

White and Barlow combined for 13g/2a in about 2100 minutes of MLS regular-season play last year, which is a per-90 return about in line with an above-average MLS center forward. White got the bulk of those minutes, but then when he went down to injury Barlow stepped in and delivered pretty admirably (including in the playoffs).

Neither guy was hyped at the youth levels, and though White was a star in college he was hardly considered a can't-miss prospect. But both came through the NYRB II USL meat-grinder and understand the system on both sides of the ball, and both have kept delivering as they've climbed the ladder.

That's why it was, quite frankly, not believable when the Red Bulls were linked to a $5 million move for a League One striker earlier this month. Spending that much money on a guy from a pub league when you've already got two cheap, productive and young-ish players at the same spot? That makes zero sense.

Let's treat it like it was real, though, because while White and Barlow were productive last year, that was last year. Both guys have to go out their and earn their keep every single practice, and then reinforce it in every single game, or a change will come.

Other Options: 19-year-old Dane Mathias Jorgensen – whom RBNY spent seven figures upon last winter – improved as the USL season went on in 2019, though he appeared to be a clear third-choice behind White and Barlow in 2020 preseason. He's got real "two years away" energy.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

https://www.mlssocce...ands-their-no-9

Other Options: 19-year-old Dane Mathias Jorgensen – whom RBNY spent seven figures upon last winter – improved as the USL season went on in 2019, though he appeared to be a clear third-choice behind White and Barlow in 2020 preseason. He's got real "two years away" energy.

Tagging Matti Ice as third in line is generous, considering Stroud outperformed him and we've chosen to play Royer up top ahead of him.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Fun but a bit dumb. League One's _recently proposed_ salary cap is 2.5M GBP (around 3.8M USD), which means that ex DPs, MLS (4.4M wage cap) and League One are quite comparable in terms of player wages at the moment, though you could certainly argue the two leagues are on divergent paths going forward. I'm sure some of the L1 teams that were recently in the Championship (and PL, hello Sunderland) have higher wages than most DP-light MLS teams.

Saw a couple of Gilligham home games live over the last 2 years and would say NYRB would be better on most days than the 4 different teams I saw, but it would hardly be a walk in the park. They also would be rocked by some of the stereotypically physical tackling (let's just say Felipe would be rolling around A LOT if he was in the game, but often with a good reason).

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Tagging Matti Ice as third in line is generous, considering Stroud outperformed him and we've chosen to play Royer up top ahead of him.

It also seems quite generous and likely that they didn't actually watch our II team at all, saying he improved as the season went on. I can't speak intelligently on the topic, as I saw only a handful of II's games last year, but "improved as the season went on" was not the takeaway I got from Brian's frequent notes from those games. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Doyle's raging hatred for all things English might be blinding him a bit here. If you're gonna put League 1 and MLS on the same level (pretty fair as Ivo mentioned) then wouldn't you want the guy who lead his respective league in scoring?

His point at the end of the day seems to be that we should accept mediocrity instead of taking a risk on an expensive English player. Even by his assessment the best we can hope for from White and Barlow is "all-out effort". It's not my money, but I think there's some room for risk when that's the best thing you can say about your starting strikers.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Doyle's raging hatred for all things English might be blinding him a bit here. If you're gonna put League 1 and MLS on the same level (pretty fair as Ivo mentioned) then wouldn't you want the guy who lead his respective league in scoring?

His point at the end of the day seems to be that we should accept mediocrity instead of taking a risk on an expensive English player. Even by his assessment the best we can hope for from White and Barlow is "all-out effort". It's not my money, but I think there's some room for risk when that's the best thing you can say about your starting strikers.

If we concede that League 1 and MLS are roughly on par, and this guy was putting up Joseph Martinez type numbers there, then $5M would be cheap.   I'd put MLS  a half step above them; our wages are higher, and I'd think our top teams would be bottom half teams in the Championship (though taking a look at the table I was pretty surprised to see the likes of Stoke and Hull and MIddlesborough down near the bottom).   Either way, its all moot, because we aren't offering anything near market value for him.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Stefan Schuette

Stefan Schuette

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Supports:New York
Im a little out of the loop, but why is Rossi playing at RSL and not here?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

because he's 33,  with a history of injuries

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

because he's 33,  with a history of injuries

11 minutes played in the last 2 years.

I'm surprised he managed to get anyone to sign him.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

His knees no work good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users