#121 drgnsFIRE

drgnsFIRE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

I wish him the best. I just don't think he was the coach that this team needs going forward. As has been said, we need someone that established players want to play for, but we're also going to need someone who can work with our younger guys like Baggio and (assuming he doesn't go in the draft) Banner to get the most out of thier potential. I think Dennis was solid for a guy getting his first shot at the head coaching spot, but he wasn't what I would think of as a good teacher and I think some of the turmoil between he and some of the players probably didn't help that either. Maybe he'll improve on that with time and a fresh start.

#122 Jamie352

Jamie352

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything but soccer? ;)
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

I tried to post this earlier, but the board has been hating me recently...

I like Jesse. I like him a lot. But I don't think the premier flight of soccer in America should be the proving ground for new coaches.
We are better than that.

I don't usually disagree with ya Jay, but I can't think of anyone I'd rather see as the new coach, ASAP.

If Kreis showed anything, it's that if you get a team playing in a way that works, at the right time, then you can win MLS. We seem to always end up playing a way that doesn't regularly work, especially not at the critical moments. He brought in new, impact players, had the courage to restrict his aging star to a bit part, and even got Andy Williams to put in a hard-working shift. Consider me impressed.

I don't think Hamlett has done too badly, considering Superliga final, two Eastern finals, etc. but it does make you wonder how much better we would have done with someone else. I watched us and we were tactically...odd. Either it was some brilliant fluid system tailor-made to accommodate our best players...or it was an absolute mess (going back to the 'when it worked, it worked, and when it didn't...' comment I made elsewhere). Anyway, I'm sure his limitations have been over-hashed on this forum. Good luck to him, he was a good servant to the club.

The wait-and-see begins...

#123 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

I tried to post this earlier, but the board has been hating me recently...

I don't usually disagree with ya Jay, but I can't think of anyone I'd rather see as the new coach, ASAP.

If Kreis showed anything, it's that if you get a team playing in a way that works, at the right time, then you can win MLS. We seem to always end up playing a way that doesn't regularly work, especially not at the critical moments. He brought in new, impact players, had the courage to restrict his aging star to a bit part, and even got Andy Williams to put in a hard-working shift. Consider me impressed.

I don't think Hamlett has done too badly, considering Superliga final, two Eastern finals, etc. but it does make you wonder how much better we would have done with someone else. I watched us and we were tactically...odd. Either it was some brilliant fluid system tailor-made to accommodate our best players...or it was an absolute mess (going back to the 'when it worked, it worked, and when it didn't...' comment I made elsewhere). Anyway, I'm sure his limitations have been over-hashed on this forum. Good luck to him, he was a good servant to the club.

The wait-and-see begins...

Fair enough Jamie. I will repeat that I love Jessie. And Chris Armas for that matter. And someday I would love, love, love to see one or both of them coaching here. For me that day is not today though.

#124 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Best wishes to THE Fire original. Expectations were high and circumstances were difficult and Denis performed admirably under the pressure. Unfortunately, admirably doesn't win championships. A better coach would have been able to overcome the pressure and the obstacles and I hope the Fire find that person moving forward.

#125 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

Normally this would be a concern but with someone like Klopas working with a coach that doesn't understand the limitations here it could work out.

Yup.

Hiring Hamlett was a bad decision in retrospect, but it could have so much different. My Hamlet postscript goes like this, Denis had a veteran team, a bad coach could have won with the team we had, it was a turnkey operation. So Denis decided to compensate for the lack of respect he would be getting for the teams inevitable success, so he almost immediately tried to instill a system that simply did not fit the personnel, he claimed injuries as an excuse to keep players out of the lineup, and when the rumors of this swirled to the surface we all knew that this was certainly no longer a turnkey operation, it was in every way a Denis Hamlett creation. It backfired incredibly, he was never really able to undo the damage he did that first year. He could never admit he was making a mistake even through rough performances because he was bailed out repeatedly by great individual performances, and an incredible Jon Busch in 2008.

#126 Chicago4ever

Chicago4ever

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, beer, games, ... , ... ,
  • Supports:UIC, FIRE, RAMPAGE

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

Oh, Happy Days! :cheers:
DJ

The KNIGHTS are coming!

#127 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Oh, Happy Days! :cheers:

I feel no joy in the loss of Denis Hamlett. It may be time for a new head coach but we're still losing a Fire original in the process. He helped shaped who we are and that shouldn't be forgotten.

#128 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, RSL did that and look where it got them.

Oh yeah, sure, that was such an overnight success.

After the few years of embarrassment and only after RSL hired a competent GM did the Jason Kreis thing start to take off.

#129 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

Complete and utter drivel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users