111 replies to this topic

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Agreed. But on the plus side lol fuck Toronto.

Agree again, this season is pure karma

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Toronto aged very quickly or the coach doesn't know what he is doing.

The quickest fix would be firing the coach and I am surprised that the head coach is still employed.

I know folks are going to blame the injuries, but they should still be a playoff squad.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

They should absolutely still be a playoff squad.  I would put this on the coach as well. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Toronto ... quickest fix would be firing the coach

TFC did win a Shield, MLS Cup & Canadian Championship treble in 2017, and so far this year have reached the CL final (losing on PKs) and won another Canadian Championship, so No.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

TFC did win a Shield, MLS Cup & Canadian Championship treble in 2017, and so far this year have reached the CL final (losing on PKs) and won another Canadian Championship, so No.

The Canadian championship is a joke, they only have to win 2 series to win it, one against a mediocre USL team Ottawa and against Vancouver who isn't very good either.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The Canadian championship is a joke

Winner gains entry to the CL.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Winner gains entry to the CL.

Doesn't mean the tournament isn't setup like a joke. An MLS team has to win 2 series to win the whole thing, it's ridiculous. I wish the MLS never brought any of the Canadian teams into the MLS in the first place and kept it a real domestic league.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Doesn't mean the tournament isn't setup like a joke. An MLS team has to win 2 series to win the whole thing, it's ridiculous. I wish the MLS never brought any of the Canadian teams into the MLS in the first place and kept it a real domestic league.

Like the NHL,NBA and MLB??? And the NFL would have a team in Toronto but they essentially agreed not to out of respect to the CFL.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I dont understand the way they determine the CL spots.
Just use the shield standings at the conclusion of the regular season. Top teams get in. Keep all the other Cup competitions completely seperate from the damn thing.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Like the NHL,NBA and MLB??? And the NFL would have a team in Toronto but they essentially agreed not to out of respect to the CFL.

Hockey is a completely different setup since they have had original NHL teams to begin with. NBA and MLB barely count since Toronto is the only city that has a team anyway.

In the MLS I'd rather see it be a full domestic league where we keep adding cities in the States and Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver can fuck off to whatever Canadian league.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Fun fact, we play just as many MLS teams and more games against MLS teams in the Atlantic Cup than TFC does in the Canadian Championship.  So we can get a CCL spot for that right?

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I dont understand the way they determine the CL spots.
Just use the shield standings at the conclusion of the regular season. Top teams get in. Keep all the other Cup competitions completely seperate from the damn thing.

Haha no. The MLS Cup is the champ and deservedly gets a spot, same for the Cup winner. Including the Shield winner and the runner up is completely fine.

This next edition is slightly screwed up because of the switch from fall/spring to spring only, otherwise all is well with CCL spots.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Haha no. The MLS Cup is the champ and deservedly gets a spot, same for the Cup winner. Including the Shield winner and the runner up is completely fine.

This next edition is slightly screwed up because of the switch from fall/spring to spring only, otherwise all is well with CCL spots.

I see his point, they don't fart around with Cup winners and such in the UEFA Champions League.  A slightly different culture, so I won't pick bones about the MLS Cup Champions, personally.  Mexican teams that qualify are the winner and runner up of the Apertura and Clausura playoffs, and not the regular season at all. 

For the 2020 CCL MLS will send the MLS Cup Champion, the Shield Winner, the winner of the other Conference, and the Open Cup champion.  For that reason I wish they had figured out some way to emphasize the regular season for the 2019 qualification.  The only reason it's even in play via league record is that TFC won MLS Cup last year, otherwise it would have been the 2017 and 2018 MLS Cup Champions, plus the 2017 and 2018 Open Cup champions. 

I guess the way they set it up for the skipped year is arguably the simplest, but I'd rather have seen the first scenario in the even of a Canadian team winning MLS Cup be that the 2017 and 2018 Shield Winners qualify automatically (or appropriate alternates since TFC also won the Shield,) and let the two Open Cup winners do a playoff game.   I guess it doesn't matter all that much but in a tournament where league position normally determines half of the qualifying spots, it seems weird they set it up to not even count (except for a weird contingency that happened to be the case.)

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Sending the two MLS champ and the two Shield winners would've been fine, too. But so is giving the Cup an added emphasis, there isn't one correct answer really

Not too fussed about it, and I am 100% sure we wouldn't be complaining at all had we won the Cup either of the past two seasons.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Hockey is a completely different setup since they have had original NHL teams to begin with. NBA and MLB barely count since Toronto is the only city that has a team anyway.

In the MLS I'd rather see it be a full domestic league where we keep adding cities in the States and Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver can fuck off to whatever Canadian league.

You are also aware that two of those cities were part of NASL and that one not only won a title but inflicted the worst defeat the Cosmos ever suffered as well? And when those teams came in MLS was largely a bunch of teams doing very bad interest and attendance wise, they instantly strengthened the league (for example the league has a good TV deal with TSN that brings in significant revenue).
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users