422 replies to this topic

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2

Honorable mention to the throw in/corner fiasco that Boy City is probably still crying about to this day. 

Probs not cause they have a home semi final in two days

:(

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,540 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Ive been saying I didnt think buckmaster was an mls defender and I stand by that, imo it cost us this match.

Weve had 4 better RB in the last year 3 could have been on the field.

Murillo
Duncan
Kutler
Rito

So much to say about the coaching but look at the team on paper and in terms of $$$ that started and came in.

This loss was on the front office; if Murillo isnt in the plans cut him or something. Duncan / Bucky isnt good enough starter / backup.

Not having any type of destroyer or attacking mid or ST that could make a difference is on them.

Kutler showed about the same amount of glimpses as Buckmaster. Strong early then fell apart with the USL team once he moved back down. Had signed with Pittsburgh late in preseason, had a falling out and was let go. Didn't catch on anywhere else.

Rito is absolutely a better choice, but international player, and he was brought in on loan to NYRBII, not the first team. Knowing our FO, they wouldn't spend the money to his parent team, given Buckmaster had upside as well.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Kutler showed about the same amount of glimpses as Buckmaster. Strong early then fell apart with the USL team once he moved back down. Had signed with Pittsburgh late in preseason, had a falling out and was let go. Didn't catch on anywhere else.

Rito is absolutely a better choice, but international player, and he was brought in on loan to NYRBII, not the first team. Knowing our FO, they wouldn't spend the money to his parent team, given Buckmaster had upside as well.

I was so impressed with Kutler's passing, but I guess he couldn't defend to save his life.  Was there ever any thought to converting him to a wide midfielder?

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2

I was so impressed with Kutler's passing, but I guess he couldn't defend to save his life.  Was there ever any thought to converting him to a wide midfielder?

He was a 10 / wide mid his whole life before we tried to convert him to RB.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,402 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I dunno. I hated the result, but I thought that it would be a rollover and lose 4-0 thinking about it on the bus ride down. Shame about Sims and Kaku. I enjoyed the time spent hanging out, singing for 120+ mins, vaping and consuming edibles, leaving it all in the stands. 

Fuck the weather, tho. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I enjoyed the time spent hanging out, singing for 120+ mins, ... leaving it all in the stands. 

Props to you, and the traveling South Ward supporters!
6 buses: 3 VA, 2 ESC, 1 GSU, plus plenty who drove.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
Culture beats strategy everytime... Yea maybe the high press strategy implemented well has yielded some supporters shields but the culture of not spending on clutch big name DPs who are leaders on the pitch and the culture of taking the playoffs lightly and or culture of flat out choking in pressure packed games is very apparent and stronger than the Red Bulls GmbH and Ralfball
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Culture beats strategy everytime... Yea maybe the high press strategy implemented well has yielded some supporters shields but the culture of not spending on clutch big name DPs who are leaders on the pitch and the culture of taking the playoffs lightly and or culture of flat out choking in pressure packed games is very apparent and stronger than the Red Bulls GmbH and Ralfball

honestly i don't think the team suffers much from a lack of leadership.  Sure it could be better, but its not horrible.

We just suffer from a lack of talent on the roster.

Like when Royer had to get subbed out i had no expectation that an older BWP, Brian White, Muyl, Davis, Rza and CCJ would create anything besides on a set piece.  We have 2.5 creative players in the squad (Sims, Kaku with Omir as half). That gives you no margin for error or in this case, injuries. 

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

honestly i don't think the team suffers much from a lack of leadership.  Sure it could be better, but its not horrible.

We just suffer from a lack of talent on the roster.

Like when Royer had to get subbed out i had no expectation that an older BWP, Brian White, Muyl, Davis, Rza and CCJ would create anything besides on a set piece.  We have 2.5 creative players in the squad (Sims, Kaku with Omir as half). That gives you no margin for error or in this case, injuries. 

Completely agree that the biggest problem is the investment of talent. With that said though, the very guy you mentioned (Omir) wasn't even on the bench. Instead Armas picked up both washed up BWP and out of shape White. There was absolutely no need for Barlow, BWP, and White to be on the roster and Omir out. Unlike some folks on this board I felt that we had a good chance to beat Philly. Sims was a major talent infusion. When he went down it was an enormous blow. But at that point we already had a two goal lead. Now we had to defend, counter, keep the ball for stretches. We didn't need to go out a get a goal. But how can you counter and keep the ball when you have Buckmaster, Barlow, and Muyl at the same time? Then also washed up BWP and injured White. 

Why not get Murillo in the game from the get go, get Omir, who has some creativity and can draw fouls too, to give us a chance to get some posession? Heck, even Davis could have gone in earlier with Rza on the flank. The point is, with Murillo for Buck and then Omir instead of dubious White/BWP combo, I think there is a good chance we hold on to the two goal lead when we lost Sims. That chance is drastically reduced with inferior talent Armas decided to use. I know it sucks to lose Duncan, but we actually had a decent back-up in Murillo. Instead we go with Buck who proved to be incompetent at this level in regular season. Same for Omir, who is a much better midfielder than BWP. I know the talent is not there, but this game was ours for the taking, and Armas simply failed to use the best talent we have to advance.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Completely agree that the biggest problem is the investment of talent. With that said though, the very guy you mentioned (Omir) wasn't even on the bench. Instead Armas picked up both washed up BWP and out of shape White. There was absolutely no need for Barlow, BWP, and White to be on the roster and Omir out. Unlike some folks on this board I felt that we had a good chance to beat Philly. Sims was a major talent infusion. When he went down it was an enormous blow. But at that point we already had a two goal lead. Now we had to defend, counter, keep the ball for stretches. We didn't need to go out a get a goal. But how can you counter and keep the ball when you have Buckmaster, Barlow, and Muyl at the same time? Then also washed up BWP and injured White. 

Why not get Murillo in the game from the get go, get Omir, who has some creativity and can draw fouls too, to give us a chance to get some posession? Heck, even Davis could have gone in earlier with Rza on the flank. The point is, with Murillo for Buck and then Omir instead of dubious White/BWP combo, I think there is a good chance we hold on to the two goal lead when we lost Sims. That chance is drastically reduced with inferior talent Armas decided to use. I know it sucks to lose Duncan, but we actually had a decent back-up in Murillo. Instead we go with Buck who proved to be incompetent at this level in regular season. Same for Omir, who is a much better midfielder than BWP. I know the talent is not there, but this game was ours for the taking, and Armas simply failed to use the best talent we have to advance.

This is all on point. My only quibble is that we dont know for certain how bad the Murillo situation has gotten. Then again...who is responsible for allowing it to get to this point...where youre in the playoffs with a malcontent who should be a starter not even in the 18.

Buckmaster was a tire fire and the midfield couldnt string passes together to relieve any pressure whatsoever. And your only threat on the counter is actually Barlow.

But what do we do? Take our only speed and counter ability in Barlow off, NOT take off Buck and add two strikers who cant run?

Jesus. We saw master classes like this all season. Yes, the roster needs talent, but these kinds of in game decisions arent rocket science.

Youre getting completely overrun in midfield and one of your outside defenders is a tire fire. You take him off and throw on more midfielders. Period.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

This is all on point. My only quibble is that we dont know for certain how bad the Murillo situation has gotten. Then again...who is responsible for allowing it to get to this point...where youre in the playoffs with a malcontent who should be a starter not even in the 18.

Buckmaster was a tire fire and the midfield couldnt string passes together to relieve any pressure whatsoever. And your only threat on the counter is actually Barlow.

But what do we do? Take our only speed and counter ability in Barlow off, NOT take off Buck and add two strikers who cant run?

Jesus. We saw master classes like this all season. Yes, the roster needs talent, but these kinds of in game decisions arent rocket science.

Youre getting completely overrun in midfield and one of your outside defenders is a tire fire. You take him off and throw on more midfielders. Period.

The thing with Murillo, even in the last game against Montreal, where the whole team played badly, and he was at fault for a goal, Parker was at fault for two, he actually managed to create best chance of the match for us. He drew game winning penalty before in a huge game against DC, and in general showed a lot of ability even with the decline from last year. This is play-offs, I don't care how bad the situation was, he is a MUCH better player than Buck. Having Buck and Lade over him in play-offs is inexcusable. I get the mentality of going out with the hardest working guys, but we didn't have to go out. Two goal lead, Murillo starting, Omir as a sub, I will take my chances. With Buck, Muyl, finished BWP, injured White all getting major minutes when we had better options, we are bound to give up multiple goals. We could and should have done better in this game even with the talent deprived roster we had when Sims left but helped to 2 goal lead.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

The thing with Murillo, even in the last game against Montreal, where the whole team played badly, and he was at fault for a goal, Parker was at fault for two, he actually managed to create best chance of the match for us. He drew game winning penalty before in a huge game against DC, and in general showed a lot of ability even with the decline from last year. This is play-offs, I don't care how bad the situation was, he is a MUCH better player than Buck. Having Buck and Lade over him in play-offs is inexcusable. I get the mentality of going out with the hardest working guys, but we didn't have to go out. Two goal lead, Murillo starting, Omir as a sub, I will take my chances. With Buck, Muyl, finished BWP, injured White all getting major minutes when we had better options, we are bound to give up multiple goals. We could and should have done better in this game even with the talent deprived roster we had when Sims left but helped to 2 goal lead.

Maybe the player council of Robles et al basically said to Chris - this guy doesn't give a S we wouldn't hate it if YOU decide not to bring him.  (Besides best defense is a health Sims and Kaku......oh wait a minute or 30)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,107 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Armas explains his choice of Buckmaster:

"Duncan, Buckmaster and Murillo each have different qualities, but at the end of the year, in the biggest games, when the most concentration is needed, we went with the guys that give us the best chances of winning on the day."

He says that as if we didn't give up an equalizing goal because Buckmaster fell asleep and was yards behind the rest of the line on an offside trap.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Armas explains his choice of Buckmaster:

"Duncan, Buckmaster and Murillo each have different qualities, but at the end of the year, in the biggest games, when the most concentration is needed, we went with the guys that give us the best chances of winning on the day."

He says that as if we didn't give up an equalizing goal because Buckmaster fell asleep and was yards behind the rest of the line on an offside trap.

If Papa Red Bull ACTUALLY cared...and ACTUALLY watched the games...and ACTUALLY read this quote then Armas would be out the door.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

If Papa Red Bull ACTUALLY cared...and ACTUALLY watched the games...and ACTUALLY read this quote then Armas would be out the door.

they told you Murillo is MENTALLY NOT THERE despite his skill.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users